Magic orientated gangs

Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne VIC, Australia
I'm wanting to introduce two friends to tabletop gaming and they like the setting of Mordheim.
Both enjoy the idea of warbands that use a lot of magic.
What would your suggestion be for the most balanced magic based warbands?

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
If you're not set on Mordheim, but want a high-magic fantasy skirmish game, then I recommend looking into Frostgrave.

It's very light on background, so you can use the FG rules to run games that (in your head fluff) are actually taking place in Mordheim, or elsewhere in the Old World. There are no rules for 'races' but that doesn't stop you using elves, skaven, or whatever instead of humans.

Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne VIC, Australia
If you're not set on Mordheim, but want a high-magic fantasy skirmish game, then I recommend looking into Frostgrave.

It's very light on background, so you can use the FG rules to run games that (in your head fluff) are actually taking place in Mordheim, or elsewhere in the Old World. There are no rules for 'races' but that doesn't stop you using elves, skaven, or whatever instead of humans.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looked at some Frostgrave stuff and I like it. Might mix Mordheim & Frostrgave for something different.
Appreciate the suggestion.

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
There are some things to be aware of that put some people off:

1. There's no balancing system for underdogs, so campaigns can get unbalanced.
2. The game is based around d20s and often opposed rolls with only small modifiers. This results in high randomness (though this partly offsets the previous point - anyone can beat anyone).
3. There's no experience or progression for soldiers - they're all just nameless grunts in the service of your wizard.

I think that probably covers the main points (unless lack of racial rules is also an issue for you). Nonetheless, it's a popular system, largely because of its simplicity. I don't know anyone who's mixed FG and Mordheim, but you'll probably find you can use many of the same models for both anyway.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Not that I have any experience, but you might take a look at Wyrdwars too. I believe it's kinda Mordheim lite, with free rules. A look at the spell tables might tell you where to go for magic. That being said, I've heard good things about Frostgrave too.

Reactions: Dr.Fishy....NOOOOoo

EarthDragon

Ganger
Apr 1, 2013
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
So, I didn’t see anyone else mention this but Mordheim was specifically built to be low fantasy, not high fantasy. Casters are rare and powerful. Supernatural lean more towards the believable side (mutated ratmen, Zombies vs Skeletons, etc) and lots of stock humans. Similar to Necromunda really loosing its ambiance if there aren’t mostly House gangs, Mordheim can really lose its bite if players being introduced aren’t playing/exposed to plenty of mercenary bands.

Diving into the setting for any of these games, including Frostgrave (which is a bit more forced with everyone playing a Wizard searching for “wizard loot”) can really make the difference for it to be a big selling point. Skaven and GSCs are fun, but as the person trying to introduce others, I always encourage to try to ground it a bit.

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Diving into the setting for any of these games, including Frostgrave (which is a bit more forced with everyone playing a Wizard searching for “wizard loot”) can really make the difference for it to be a big selling point.
I definitely agree with your general point. I'm not sure I quite follow the reference to Frostgrave here. I think one thing that people like about Frostgrave is that, as well as being model-agnostic, it's almost background agnostic. There's so little developed background/lore that you can use the rules while filling in the 'fluff' of your world in all kinds of ways.

EarthDragon

Ganger
Apr 1, 2013
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
My only point to Frostgrave was that it follows itself without trying. You are all playing Wizards looting the place that is a game about Wizards fighting over magical loot. There is no way to deviate.

Last edited: