Magnetising N17 minis

Craigus17

Ganger
Dec 14, 2014
Gravesend, UK
bonjour

I haven’t magnetised any minis before but I’ve seen Cardyfreak’s tutorial for the originals and considering doing this for N17 minis when I get some.

Has anyone had any luck magnetising them so that your gang is modular?

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
I have made my Escher snap-fit on the rifles. Where the shoulder is a ball socket you can just hold everything tight in place and glue the arm to the gun. If you shave the inside of the arm's joints down just a bit it will pop on and off easily.

sampsonkennedy

May 6, 2018
Drummond Victoria, Australia
I've magnetised my leader and champions for my van saar, 2mm in the shoulder and arm.
you could do 3mm in the shoulder too if you wanted a stronger hold, but the arms are so small that I personally wouldn't bother with anything short of a heavy weapon or fully outstretched limb

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Fair enough. As they go, I think everything can be magnetized at the shoulder and have a good looking joins short of Goliath and we'll see about Delaque but I think they'll be ok too.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Precisely my same thoughts. BUT I think if you carefully cut them at the wrists you'll be able to magnetize there... on many of the arms anyway.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
@DarkNwss , can you weigh in here, I know you've magnetised your entire goliath gang havent you... and Heather's Escher?

DarkNwss

Ganger
Aug 21, 2016
Reading, UK
Escher definitely have a decent join for magnetising a 1mm mag fits nifely, I don't think a 2mm would.

The Goliaths are a different matter as they have that stupid wedge on the shoulder but if you're good at placement that can be trimmed (I wasn't brilliant at this but they work well enough)

Reactions: ThreeDice and spafe

Bazargan

Apr 21, 2019
Hello,

I am looking to get into Necromunda after a large hiatus from all things GW (something like a decade perhaps). First time in Necromunda. I really think this is the game I should have been playing all along but the truth is that the beautiful new models have attracted my attention as well as the narrative.

Anyway, I have been searching for a tutorial for magnetizing the weapons/arms/hands on the new models, I have already found the links for general magnetizing (and thank you very much to anyone who put in the work, much appreciated) but as far as I can tell (the big box is on its way as we speak, so it's what I've seen in photos of the models and sprues) the new models have certain structural characteristics that may require extra level of effort.

So, with the above in mind, does anyone know about a tutorial specifically about magnetizing successfully the Escher and Goliaths (which are the gangs I will start working on soon)?

And, being a low experience modeller, idiot proof instructions and photos would come a long way in helping.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Sincerely, thanks to everyone here for posting their work on terrain and modelling, your work has been a great source of inspiration. I will be definitely picking up techniques for my own terrain projects, as soon as time permits.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
The Escher can be glued in such a way as to make the arms snap-fit, position everything and use a good model glue to join the wrists only, not the shoulders, trim the arm side socket (after 24 hours for the glue to cure) till it slips in with minimal pressure but does not create a gap. As for the single handed arms, drill a hole in the socket and the ball of each and place a magnet (2mm should be fine) on each side and be sure of your polarity. As for Golaith... good luck?
Still trying to puzzle that one out.

Reactions: Bazargan

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Actually, that might. That might even be a good way to magnetize.. I might have to try. If you want to give it a shot, here's my plan. I'm going to get the arm in place and drill all the way through the shoulder into the torso (since they have such odd and specific joins) so that a proper straight line can be had, from there just bore out to size from the inside and then glue in and trim a piece of of plastic on the shoulder hole.. should work. You could stop at the pin but I think this is actually doable.
Edit is at the bottom left of any of your posts but I'm not sure if it's unlocked until 3-5 posts.
P.S. You can largely treat the Van Saar/Delaque the same as the Escher since they use a similar join but if you want to be a little more daring check out my thread for what I'm doing with mine (VS). Cawdor look like you'll need to either magnetize at the elbow or cut the wrists and magnetize there and Orlocks have flat joins so traditional techniques will work fine there.

Reactions: Ben_S and Bazargan