Necromunda Magnetizing the new Zone Mortalis terrain?

undertaker

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
I couldn't find a download for the assembly instructions, so I don't know exactly which pieces you mean, but I can make an educated guess. The bits that go on top of the columns/walls with the recessed pipes showing.

Is it practical not to glue them? They look like they would wedge in between the wall sections pretty solidly and be a pain in the ass to repeatedly pry out, especially if the detailed side is showing.

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
Ok, my ordered 15 x 1 mm magnets arrived today and I immediately tested them. Incidentally, I noticed that I should have ordered magnets with 2 mm thickness.

With my magnets as I have described in my post above, I can not fix the Thermic Plasma Conduits to ZM plastic column or wall!
The holding force is way too weak! - Rather, no longer exist.

Experimental setup 1: Tube with 15 x 1 mm on wall with 6 x 2 mm.
The distance from the magnet in the plastic conduit to the magnet behind the plastic wall is about 5 mm.

Last edited:

Xiądz

Ganger
May 21, 2018
Warsaw, Poland
Is there a comfortable way of connecting pipes (from Plasma Conduits set) to magnetized wall connectors (from Dark Uprising)? How do you do it?

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
Is there a comfortable way of connecting pipes (from Plasma Conduits set) to magnetized wall connectors (from Dark Uprising)? How do you do it?
I would be grateful too if someone has a proven tip, which N-type or adhesive force we need for the Plasma Conduits and ZM walls with pipe fittings.

--
In my first attempt, I ordered cheap magnets Ø 15 x 1 mm N38 with approx. 800 g adhesive force for the Plasma Conduits. But they are too weak to keep the pipes together or to connect with the pipe fittings. Even if I stack two of them, the force is sufficient only for the connection of pipe to pipe, but not to connect with a ZM wall and/or pipe fitting with Ø 6 x 2 mm N38 magnets and 500 g adhesive force.

I now intend to order new magnets with a diameter of 15 mm and the right 2 mm thickness for the Plasma Conduits with an adhesive force of approx. 2 kg or more. And I would also order some new Ø 6 x 2 magnets with more adhesive force for the connection between pipe fittings and pipes. All maybe N45, N50 or even N52I hope that will be then enough force to hold the Plasma Conduits between two walls in the air.

Last edited:

Corom

Juve
Jan 21, 2018
Barcelona
I’ve just seen a post on a Facebook group claiming they found 6x2mm n52 magnets too weak to hold components together through the plastic and the ones I have on the way are n48 -_-

With any luck they were just wrong or trying to do too much and I won’t have to return them for 6x3s...
Has anyone tested if 6x3mm are OK? Maybe too thick? They should have ~50% more traction than 6x2mm

Merzbau

Gang Champion
Nov 9, 2018
Philadelphia
For what it’s worth, I used the n48 6x2mms and they’re totally fine; more than strong enough to do what they’re designed to do (which is to attach pipe caps and any accessories glued to them to a wall or column). If you’re really concerned about extra strength you could certainly use 6x3s in the walls or columns, but you really should stick to 2mm for the pipe caps, otherwise they won’t sit flush.

Reactions: Corom

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
It’s a tough to know what strength magnets you actually receive from some eBay sellers (mainly chinese) I’ve even had “identical” magnets from the same supplier in multiple purchases that have different strengths.

Orngog

Gang Champion
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Sorry to be so late to the party, I also had a problem with n52 being too weak to hold the pipes, but I worked around it.

There are a few options, all with different benefits- your milage may vary, I find them all useful in various circumstances. I've placed them in order of ease of application:

1. Place a loose magnet between adjoining endcaps. This really helps the magnets in the pipes and endcaps work together as one, and of course it's an easy fix. I would suggest varnishing your undercoat and finished paintjob on the endcap faces, just to be safe.

2. Place a loose magnet on the one inside the column/wall. Again, this is an easy & temporary fix to a finished setup, and works surprisingly well.

3. Glue a magnetised wall endcap to a pipe endcap. The amount of stability you gain from this is incredible, it really is a game changer. You don't have to do it to all of them... Try it with one, you won't regret it ;)

4. Place double magnets in the pipes. I think this made more difference than anything else, the molded endcovers on those plasma conduits is just so thick that they need all the help they can get.

Reactions: undertaker

Oftkilted

Aug 24, 2018
D.C.
in items 1. And 2. What do you mean “loose”? Are you just placing a magnet that isn’t glued to stack magnets?

Why are you actually doing in 3? I’m having issues visualizing what you’re describing. If you’re gluing the two together .. why put magnets into them?

By the way, what size magnets were you working with that you were experiencing the issue?

Orngog

Gang Champion
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
First question, yes I mean just loose unglued magnets. Placing one in the recess between endcaps is very effective, as is placing one on the magnet inside the wall/column piece.

Second, if you look at a cross-section of pipe (ie one half) you'll notice that the largest diameter outer ring (same size as the endcaps) corresponds to a thin slot on the inside. A circular piece of cardboard cut to fit this recess will effectively wall off a magnet in the end section- this means you can leave your magnet (or pair) loose inside the pipe end, when placing it near another end the polarity will adjust itself as it attaches (which makes for much easier pipe runs).

And I'm working with 6x2mm n52 magnets.

Edit: oops, just realised I answered a question you didn't ask! The reason for gluing the endcaps face-to-face is twofold: on the slanted endcaps, the magnet is not central which obviously upsets the pipe run.

And generally speaking, the endcap-to-endcap join is the weakest in the setup. Adding stability here is very beneficial, and there are more than enough endcaps provided to do this to at least one (after all, it's the only place they fit).

Last edited:

Orngog

Gang Champion
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Thanks! I have seen it, sadly the pipes section consists of two lines- and one of them is "to be continued".

Not that I can say much better myself... I'll write up some tomorrow after I finish my endcap investigations

Xiądz

Ganger
May 21, 2018
Warsaw, Poland
I made this guide. I don't think I'll be updating it, since the project is finished but here's some quick guide to magnetizing pipes "my way" :)

Pipes are fairly simple:

- 6x3 mm magnets
- Put some plasticard on the backs of pipe endings so you don't drill through (to get rid of the possibility of magnets falling in)
- Polarity should be so that you can connect all the pipes to each other to for one long pipe
- Additional side connectors and siloses (if you have many) should be mixed, half (+) and half (-) so you can always find a suitable connection
- Use small magnets (2x2 or 2x1mm) to magnetize silos hatches and small plasma batteries
- Use the same small magnets to magnetize pipe stands - one magnet in the middle of the stand (+) and 2-4 magnets on the "rings" in suitable places. This way you can use them as cover and as horizontal pipes.
- For pieces between walls use intruction from Owen Patten's Twitter and magnetize it so it connects to the walls on both ends (see the guide below)

Orngog

Gang Champion
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Wow thats great, thanks. The more methods the better!

Personally I'm going down the no-drill route, and I intend to have my interior magnets flippable (last night's rest was successful) for maximum modularity with minimum effort.

Apologies to anyone who's actually waiting to read my findings! I'm finding the minutiae of the pipes quite an effort to catalogue, and is rather write it up once than have to delete my incorrect thoughts.

As ever, all commentary welcome.