Making Pit Fighters?

SolomonClayton

Dec 10, 2018
York, UK
Hi there guys,

Anyone have any ideas on how to model Pit Fighters?

Either base models or how to easily convert Flagellants/Freeguild/Frostgrave or whatever, and with what bitz?

In the UK if that helps
Cheers!

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm not that familiar with Pit Fighters, but wouldn't have thought they were that difficult. Any sort of 'barbarian' type - such as the old chaos marauders - should do, surely? The relatively new Warcry range adds some extra options though (Untamed Beasts or the snake ones especially).

Is there anything in particular that you need help with?

Reactions: Aulenback

SolomonClayton

Dec 10, 2018
York, UK
Was just wondering what people were using - particularly the themed helmets, which might require a bit more creativity!
There are a number of Chaos/Warcry/Blood Bowl/Frostgrave kits that I could use as a basis, so I was wondering how people had managed to achieve the blend of gladiator and dregs of the Empire vibes/look

Mostly just curious and fishing for ideas/inspiration!

Nuttowntau

Gang Champion
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
How about these: https://anvilindustry.co.uk/brodie-gladiator-helmets ? The crest makes it look a little less like a brodie helmet and more fantasy like.

They are made to work with imperial guard figures (and anvil stuff isn't as heroically scaled as GW) so they'll look pretty small on the AoS Khorne barbarian types.. but they work great on flagelants and other empire stuff. Since frostgrave is a bit smaller than GW they should mesh with those minis pretty well.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Reaper has a few as well, along with a good price-point.

03586_w_1.jpg

03104_G.jpg

02774_G.jpg

02764_G.jpg

02694_G.jpg

02738_G.jpg

03057_w_1.jpg

And, you know... of course...

02454_G.jpg

Because not every pit fighter can be a winner.

But yeah. Echoing those above, just hunt through any of a host of sculptors and companies producing gladiators in anywhere from 25mm to 30mm.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
the Warcry Spire Tyrants
Yes, and the Splintered Fang Warcry warband likewise:
99120201087_WCSplinteredFang01.jpg

Just remember the weapon combinations you're looking for, really. (Parenthetical for the easily altered/added bits.) Stats-wise, looking for humans or elves or halflings.

Helmet plus axe (plus shield).
Helmet plus spiked gauntlet plus (sword).
Helmet plus any two-handed weapon.
Helmet plus flail (plus shield).
Helmet plus trident or spear (and net or buckler).
Helmet plus two swords.

And then an optional ogre and/or dwarf slayer, in the usual kit.

Pierric

Gang Champion
Jan 22, 2020
Berry, France
Of course, you would use the gladiators bodies with more Necromunda pitfighting oriented heads/helmets and hands/weapons/tools...

I have thought about making Nec pitfighters on several occasions, and doing my own version of Bullgorg...but they're not the easiest kitbashing/conversion to do... You need to find and buy some well suited miniatures for the body/poses, then you need a consistant bits box for the heads/helmets and you face some mandatory putty sculpting and scratchbuilding for their very specific weapons...

Since the official releases are very poor and among the ugliest of the original rangeI and the potential conversions quite tricky, I guess that's why they're quite rare, and not seen that much frequently on these boards...

That could be a Yakcomp subject : make your own Pit Slaves unit, quite a challenge and some probable inspirational work/ideas to share for all.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Heh! Mordheim Pit Fighters warband, rather than Necromunda Pit Slaves warband.

Though now realizing that only the forum heading gives that away, it wasn't mentioned by any of us in the thread.

Reactions: Ben_S

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
To be fair, a pit fighter is a pit slave before he gets his upgrades ;)

https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk do Gangs of Rome, which includes some pit fighter-esque minis.

Another gladiator game is JUGULA! https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Other_Products/JUGULA.html - these are 35mm, so possibly a bit big for Mordheim?

You have the following categories dedicated to gladiators:

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/romans/products/myrmillo-gladiator?variant=31468989481040 is a pretty decent gladiator figure, unfortunately they seem to only do the one gladiator model.

If you wait for maxmini.eu to come back later this month (week?), I think they had Roman gladiator bits too.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Warcry or Underworlds warbands have a lot of good stuff for making pit fighters.
They do! Additionally, I want the Beastmen warband from Underworlds. Hopefully it will become available separately, eventually. And just that beastman from the Spire Tyrants set. I don't need their humans, nor even that Chaos Dwarf [Ally Morrison for Marauder style though it is].

Reactions: Tiny

thrones-ablaze

Oct 10, 2020
@Aukenback, you can use the Chaos Dwarf as a Dwarf Slayer, wich is a hero in the Pit Fighter Warband.
If you are just looking for some Beastmen I would take some of the regular Beastmen boxes.

Do you use the Broheim Pit Fighter rules? New or old ones?

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Oh, it isn't ME that is putting together the Pit Fighter warband, but rather SolomonClayton. That said, I do play beastmen in Mordheim among my warbands, and like the Pit Fifghters, I play the revised Town Cryer rules rather than the original Town Cryer rules. I did play the original rules, when they came out, but frankly those start strong, and keep pace with everyone else's warbands too. Like Lustria Elves, they start a bit too strong out of the gate for a gang that does not fall off later in the campaign. The revised version (of each) are both more fun to play against and more fun to play.

Broheim, like Yaktribe, is an excellent resource for rules collection. They don't MAKE rules [there is no "Broheim Community Edition"], but just collect what has been published. Both versions of the Pit Fighters on Broheim are the official one - the first iteration, and the "revised and updated," like errata.