MancInventor's futile thread of unfulfilled and broken daydreams

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Lol @MancInventor look what’s in my to finish painting pile, reminded me of yours and digging out the photos has motivated me to finish it (one of these days) :LOL:

24DA74D9-8A90-40EF-AE97-2CB2F446324E.jpeg
D61F21DA-CD71-4C64-BBEF-56A3E00631F7.jpeg
1A680878-2EC6-4CA2-9963-9CFAE5101F70.jpeg

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
It’s been a while, but exciting news today......

Way back at Yakday, I was lucky enough to be nominated by @CaptainDangerous to be the lucky recipient of a prize:- a custom miniature sculpted by the legend that is the magnificent @KungFuPanda . Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to Mama Shango!

She is going to be the Shaman of my new, voodoo themed Ravenskins (Ratskin alternatives). She really is a beauty and I can’t thank KFP and the Cap’n enough for bringing her into my life.

Now, I’ve just got to get her painted up, along with her #Yakcomp23 pet entry Spud the living voodoo doll.

Unfortunately I can’t paint tonight so it leaves me tomorrow to get them done.:eek:

Hey @MancInventor how goes the terrain tile stuff? I absolutely love what you have done so far. I'm thinking of picking up a few myself, would you mind answering a few questions about the tiles?In case its a yes....
  • Any problems working with the materials and what not?
  • I notice yours are textured. I take it you didn't buy this chap, but instead a bunch of these?
  • Was regular pva glue ok?
  • Do you reckon magnets could be fitted somewhere to help link them all together?
Cheers dude!

Reactions: MancInventor

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
@fettFace I bought the first ones, they were blank on one side with the chequered pattern on the rear. I wasn’t expecting it but it works for me! I had no real issues with painting and gluing, the first coat is important- thin enough to dry quickly enough but with enough coverage to stop the second coat soaking in. Honestly, I didn’t even use an undercoat! Two thin coats (lol) was indeed enough. As for magnets, I don’t think they would be much better than the clips. One thing, a bit weird because they are laser cut, but the grid is a bit irregular, also the sides aren’t completely perpendicular, don’t expect them to be perfectly flush. There’ll be a small gap between the tiles with the clips on.

Well after a long gap I’ve done a bit of weathering on the other two tiles. I’m not getting a lot of time for Grimdark stuff at the moment so it may take a while to get finished.

First stages of weathering applied. There’ll be more when I’ve decided on the final ‘street furniture’. I just want to paint up the yard when I get the chance and stack it up with gubbins and clutter.

Here’s a quick peek at how they look together at the moment:

Hope all is well with everyone, hopefully I’ll have more to post soon.

D

Deleted member 10658

Great job on the tiles (I especially like the one with the pipes.)

Hope all is well with you too.

Reactions: MancInventor

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
It’s been quite a hiatus since my last post but this is better than starting a new thread!

I have been wrapped up with the Tribemeet 2019 shenanigans and a big part of that was the making of a new THUNDERCUBE!!! (it has to be all capitals with 3 exclamation marks or you’ve spelled it wrong!). I thought I’d show you guys on here how I did it.

After Tribemeet 2018 I sat down with some of the competitors and asked what we could improve, one very popular suggestion was deathpits! So, I decided to use some of my midfield tiles to create a new arena.

I cut out the pits, undercoated with a Tamiya fine undercoat rattle can and marked up the obligatory hazard stripes with a pencil. Next I painted the yellow with Vallejo air yellow paint, I find it perfect for this kind of thing as long as you’ve got a good flat white undercoat. Next I cheated!

A sharpie is perfect for this (puritans close your ears!) it didn’t take long to get them all done. Next thing was to paint the fighting area. I chose the citadel paint Maccragge Blue for the simple reason that I have a lot of it (thanks Conquest) but it actually looks quite effective. Good masking tape is essential here! Use frog tape as there’s very little bleed and it doesn’t lift the paint it’s covering up like my ‘pound shop’ masking tape did. Two thin coats required:

After this I painted the outer are with Vallejo air pale blue to match my other tiles.

An then weathered it in the usual fashion:

Rinse and repeat 3 more times et voila:

Now on to the stand. I’ve so far made most of my terrain from foam board, but the printer that produced our wonderful campaign book packaged them in a load of A4 cardboard sheets so it was rude not to. Here’s what I tried:

Part of the new death-pits in V4 of the THUNDERCUBE!!! rules included hurl opponent. I didn’t want the complication of a Pitslave being thrown into the crowd so it had to go up with the addition of a wall:

And this also left space for me to include things like a Hive Guys burger bar on the back:

The plan was to Ave these under every stand, alas, I was running very short of time so only managed 2. At this point I was going to fill all the gaps with polyfiller, but @ClockworkOrange conviced me to use papier-mâché to fill all the gaps and strengthen the structure. Genius! I immediately set about the ‘cube with newspaper soaked in wallpaper paste gleefully in the memory of loving this stuff when I was 6 years old. Then I realised why I loved it at that age; it was utter carnage! Hands black with news print, clothes, carpet and desk top covered in globules of sticky paste. Despite my best efforts, it was something I found impossible to do neatly. Papier-mâché is not good for hobby OCD!

Unfortunately I can only use 10 pics so I will have to continue this on another reply.

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate

It took over 24h to fully dry to the point where it could be painted. I was really up against it now with less than hours from the night we had to set up the room for Tribemeet. I got some satin finish brownish Plasticoat rattle cans from Wilko’s and OMG, biggest mistake of my hobby career! This stuff is beyond evil. I have a very well-ventilated en-suite in my room. I sprayed it up in there and OMG, it went everywhere - Despite the toilet seat being down there was residue on both sides and paint floating in the water. It coated my mirror and shower tray, my towels were covered in it and it stained the entire bathroom floor. My lungs were burning despite wearing a dust mask and I had a gritty coating on my eyes. When I came out of the room, it had gone under my door and covered things in my room! Avoid avoid avoid. To make things worse, to my horror I discovered that it takes an hour to be touch dry and 24 hours to fully dry! Doh. Oh well, I was going to lose a couple of hours cleaning up the mess anyway which I had to do before it dried. Then came the final insult; the so-called satin finish was nearer a high gloss and had the appearance of being completely wrapped in parcel tape. See for yourself:

At this point I was more than a little distraught. It was 2am on the Friday hat we were supposed to be setting up in the evening, the third straight day I’d been up that late and I was ready to burn this travesty in the garden and use the previous THUNDERCUBE!!! but @ClockworkOrange convnced me to bring it along as he thought itcould be rescued. Cue the horrendous traffic jam on the A1 as some poor soul had driven in to a tree and the knock-on effect is that I arrived in Nottingham at 10pm rather than 6pm and in my rush, I forgot to bring the original THUNDERCUBE!!! - Yikes!

This is where I have to doth my cap to the legend that is @ClockworkOrange. With a smile and a sponge, he conducted @Yaksam @radulykan and I in a terrain painting orchestra and set about the ‘cube with sponges, a mix of artists paints and some printed posters and stuff and turned the horrendous ‘cube into this:

A debt of gratitude is owed (especially after I accidentally robbed him of the Yak bounty hunter mini sculpted by @KungFuPanda that he desperately coveted by announcing the tournament prizes in the wrong order!) to @ClockworkOrange, you are a scholar and a gentleman, you dragged me out of a deep-dark hole and together we created something wonderful. Without your help we would never have had these glorious scenes:

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I hate being right all the time, but if you had went to bed when I told you! ....:whistle::whistle:
:p:D

So does this mean I can have old reliable back or do you plan to keep it as a THUNDERCUBE relic?
Either way, can you do me a favour and take pictures of the graffiti (/champions signatures) so I can transfer them onto the Great Northern Cube, please :)
And while we’re on topic, @radulykan, can you get me Alx-gr8’s mark to me, ta! (Was there another champion or did you just do one day this time?)
I thought ned had won when I saw the bright crown on his noble brow! But I think rad would have benefited from it alittle better! (Would it have even fit on his head, you know, being the double champion and everything!) :LOL::p:giggle:

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Cheers manc! :)
If I knew you were rebuilding it so quickly I would have sent you some plastic parts to embellish it!
Infact I can still send you them if you are planning on doing more work to it!
Does anything on this picture take your fancy? (Except the tank, that’s for a certain mad hatted individual once if gotten round to confirming where he lives!)...
EF3C9539-39D4-41A7-9E65-960DDDAAC9A8.jpeg

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
That’s an epic find @CaptainDangerous, I was actually discussing with a few people at the event that I’d like to scrap all my original plans and build a THUNDERCUBE board complete with floodlights & gantries, quartermaster’s store, employment beaurau, and accommodation for the fighters. I’m sure I could put all of that stuff to good use!

@ThreeDice glad you like it. Have you tried the new rules for THUNDERCUBE!!! yet?