MancInventor's futile thread of unfulfilled and broken daydreams

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
That’s an epic find @CaptainDangerous, I was actually discussing with a few people at the event that I’d like to scrap all my original plans and build a THUNDERCUBE board complete with floodlights & gantries, quartermaster’s store, employment beaurau, and accommodation for the fighters. I’m sure I could put all of that stuff to good use!

@ThreeDice glad you like it. Have you tried the new rules for THUNDERCUBE!!! yet?

Not yet; I'm building some fighters especially for them (which may be again delayed a while for the upcoming halflings, as I want some cyborg fat boys). The gang really enjoyed the old rules, though, so excited to give it a go. There was something fun I added to my own coliseum game that could work in this; blindfolded slaves with bombs strapped to them. Scatter dice for movement, D6 turns until they go off, blast template, and if they move over a downed fighter or people in H2H, it's a direct, higher strength hit. Really hope to attend an event and have a game with you guys one day; the stuff you're putting out gets better and better, it's a real joy to see.

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
So for the second year running, I vowed to arrive at Tribemeet with a new gang, and for the second year running, I failed. I’m not giving up though! I started painting my old metal Orlocks using a technique I read about in the free gaming guide from nights at the game table (it’s a competitive 40k group, if you’ve not heard of them check them out here https://nightsatthegametable.com). I got some beautiful bases from @KungFuPanda so I decided to put them to good use. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

It involves a black undercoat followed by a spray of white paint from the top in a circle around the mini and then a final blast of paint from the top. I used tamiya fine primer (it’s my favourite) a generous wash with citadel null oil then a dry brush with Vallejo Air white. The dry brush has to come down from the top to match and compliment the undercoat. It’s hard to tell from the photos, but they actually look really good as black and whites, I was really tempted to just paint the bandanas red in a sin city stylee! Instead I did the next bit, Luton the base layer using Vallejo air red, Vallejo air blue, Vallejo air black and Vallejo air steel. As promised in the pamphlet, the pre-shade/highlight really came through and the basecoats look good straight from the off - I thing a big part of this is using the pre-thinned air paints. These guys are basecoated, and that’s it:

I have to admit they do look pretty good. Just paint the bases and get them on the table right? No, not me lol. Despite having next to no time to get them finished, I did a little bit of layering and detailing and this is how it turned out:

And inspired by @Yaksam’s efforts in his thread I cracked on and bashed out 3 more Juves:

Sorry I couldn’t have them ready for you guys at Tribemeet. They’ll be finished soon I promise :coffee:

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Damn I’m impressed at the speed you guys paint at. That would take me months to get that amount of miniatures finished.

Reactions: MancInventor

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
Damn I’m impressed at the speed you guys paint at. That would take me months to get that amount of miniatures finished.
Honestly, this technique is the essence of speed, you can have good quality table top standard minis done in no time, then leisurely add the layers and details later on!

Reactions: Azzabat

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
Added some more guns today, a leader, 2 heavies and 3 gangers. Not a bad turn around for a nights’ work. That’s 10 down 3 to go.

So, I can now field a gang to take on @Yaksam and his puny delaques!

I’m also delighted that my 9 year old daughter is asking me to teach her to play Necromunda. Well, I guess I can teach her to play it badly!

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
Remaining gangers and an alternative leader finished now. The alternative leader is ther because an Orlock leader can’t take an axe in the NCE rules PLEASE CHANGE THIS FOR THE NEXT EDITION!!

And all the gang together:

So what’s next? I’ll hopefully be knocking some more terrain together so I can teach my daughter to play!

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Nice.

A buddy of mine got his girlfriend into painting, and later playing 40K. Her chapter is “Girlie Pink” because ... as she puts it ... “When I beat the boys, I really want them to know they got beat by a girl!”

D

Deleted member 10658

A buddy of mine got his girlfriend into painting, and later playing 40K. Her chapter is “Girlie Pink” because ... as she puts it ... “When I beat the boys, I really want them to know they got beat by a girl!”

You know, I have never understood that 'ha - you lost to a girl' nonsense. It tacitly implies that men are superior, and shouldn't lose to women (which is a bunch of horse shit, especially when it comes to games like 40K.)

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
I think it’s because “traditionally” men trained, and went off to war whereas women stayed home and raised the family.

Implying you lost to a girl was akin to saying you lost to a noob as women had no formal knowledge of war tactics.

I know several womenfolk who can comprehensively wipe the floor with me when it comes to Wargames, and I’ve been trained by the best.

Emma’s a bit of a girlie girl so I think it was just an excuse to paint her army pink anyway.

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
At the risk of derailing the thread into gender wars, I think the ‘you lost to a girl’ thing is just banter 90% of the time and a lot depends on the context. If you play Necromunda with my sister @Edelweiss win or lose your leader and heavy will die. @Resmire and @Yaksam will confirm this. No matter how you protect them, no matter what armour and medics and everything, they will die - not OOA; dead. Is it worse because she’s a she? No. Is it worse that she’s my baby sister? Absolutely. Does she remind us every time we play? You bet your ass she does! Katie the gang ender we called her, and I tell you, after a few games you honestly start deciding to turn up without a heavy and your leader hides away at the back of the board!

Last edited:

Resmire

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Aug 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
At the risk of derailing the thread into gender wars, I think the ‘you lost to a girl’ thing is just banter 90% of the time and a lot depends on the context. If you play Necromunda with my sister @edelweiss, win or lose your leader and heavy will die. @Resmire and @Yaksam will confirm this. No matter how you protect them, no matter what armour and medics and everything, they will die - not OOA; dead. Is it worse because she’s a she? No. Is it worse that she’s my baby sister? Absolutely. Does she remind us every time we play? You bet your ass she does! Katie the gang ender we called her, and I tell you, after a few games you honestly start deciding to turn up without a heavy and your leader hides away at the back of the board!

I generally avoid playing Katie in any wargame... i have seen too many times what she can do... I have so many tales of her doing the impossible... quick eg, we played a test game of warhammer fantasy (back before it became sigmar garbage) and using a single unit of silver helms she completely routed several units of ogres...on its own... her rolling is either catastrophic or truly cataclysmic... no middle ground, she either destroys or dies.

I will never forget our poor gangs @MancInventor, they never stood a chance.

MancInventor

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 6, 2017
Harrogate
eg, we played a test game of warhammer fantasy (back before it became sigmar garbage) and using a single unit of silver helms she completely routed several units of ogres...on its own

You weren’t there when she played Matthew in a demo game at Warhammer world, where her lowly orc boyz regiment received a charge from a full unit of 8 empire knights in turn 2 - not only did she take no damage at all, she defeated the Knights and then caught them in the rout leaving Matthew with a cannon to face off against her unscratched boyz and whatever else they started with (it was a couple of units iirc) The poor blue shirt didn’t know what to say other than, “erm, that’s not supposed to happen”.

Resmire

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Aug 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
You weren’t there when she played Matthew in a demo game at Warhammer world, where her lowly orc boyz regiment received a charge from a full unit of 8 empire knights in turn 2 - not only did she take no damage at all, she defeated the Knights and then caught them in the rout leaving Matthew with a cannon to face off against her unscratched boyz and whatever else they started with (it was a couple of units iirc) The poor blue shirt didn’t know what to say other than, “erm, that’s not supposed to happen”.

I'm pretty sure that's what the exact words that the one at the Manchester store said... he was flabbergasted...

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
All I can say is I’m just glad I seem to have found my opposite Wargamer.

I am infamous for losing with any forces due to bad dice rolls. Even swapping armies with an opponent and playing the exact same battle with the exact same forces I will get beaten every time.

I’ve had games of Flames where my Canadians have not hit a single German tank and been destroyed for no loss to the Jerries. Swapping sides I’ve managed to not hit a single Sherman, and had the German forces wiped out to a man whilst “my” army wasn’t hit once.

My opponent couldn’t believe my dice wouldn’t roll higher than a 2 and thought they were duff. He rolled them and they were all 4+. I roll em again ... nothing higher than a 2.

I’m so bad ... I’m not even good enough to win the wooden spoon.

It’s good to know that the “Dumb/Smart Balance” is being upheld Out there somewhere.