Mankfester cathedral amongst other terrain

undertaker

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
Hey @Greenthumb hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread for my Mankfester board build as well!

Here's the starting of the Canal Board that will be fitting that beast of a Cargo Ship. There's going to be 4 board 600mm x 600mm. There's lots of different bridges going to come into play at different heights.

First test is a rotating bridge ...

Just checkin the idea feels ok and I was happy with it so started building up a riser and then chopping in some recessed areas for pipe detailing ...

Now I'm working on adding pipes to the recesses before black bombing the board where the recesses are and getting the wet bit worked up to a more murky wet look ...

I'm going to have 3 or 4 layers of pipes going all over so should give a decent deep look the recesses. The tricky bit is going to have different surface textures and materials all level.
Where did you get those beige and grey bigger pipes?

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Well work on the recessed sections pipes has been completed. The cast pipe details are glued to the baseboard and the straws are all attached to the riser for ease of painting. I think I'm likely to paint the recessed areas attach the riser to the board and then sort out the rest of the top surface ...

when the grating is glued down all the external squares will have textured plasticard glued under so you will see a little less of the holes but it will give the allusion of depth ...

Now I've worked out how this is going together I should have the other 3 to the same point within a few days. :D

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Whoops forgot to update here:

Painted the first board section recesses and then clamped it down while it glued up ...

It's thankfully had the warping pulled out of it and is ready for surface texture and paint ...

More info can be found in my blog. ;) :p

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Well another few weeks and another 2x2 started without finishing the previous. This one started out as my autistic brother trying to raid my bits boxes and then starting to randomly glue stuff down on a board. Managed to convince him I'd make him a board over the next few weeks as long as it goes to Mankfester before he takes it home and probably wreaks it.

Thankfully it was PVA he was using so the bits came up ok.

So here's a collapsing dome section ...

Yes it's almost painted and it only started existing yesterday but it's been enjoyable.

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Since posting the previous message the wife decided it's finished and just requires varnish. So it's been slapped with some dark oak varnish. Seems to be giving a very similar effect that Army Painters strong tone dip gives if you apply with a brush. Think it'll get a few more coats of varnish but clear rather than tinted.

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Many Sector Mechanicus boxes died to bring us this board.
Lol ... You can't get that effect using plastics. They just bend/warp too much and won't crack/shatter as I wanted them to.

Knowing how materials react to stresses/break is an important part of scenery building. I wanted a material that I could shatter and then reassemble into cracked parts to scatter around plastic built kits. The natural choice was a plaster.

So I cast some parts up to add as basing material. My brother started to glue the scatter stuff randomly down and it struck me as a possible way of doing a collapsed dome section. The board design was the born with careful placement of some uncracked pieces to act as supports for buildings 200mm on center.

The unintentional benefit is the cost is way cheaper. It's probably £25-£30 worth of materials for the 2x2 rather than several £100's if I had managed to work with plastics.

I'm going to have to give it a few more coats of varnish as it'll not be as hard wearing as plastics. But that's the trade off for getting the effect we wanted.

Greenthumb

Ganger
Jan 28, 2018
Manchester
Right guys. Apologies for my absence but real life got hold of me and made me work.
Anyway enough of the small talk for the time being. Let's get some pictures on for the yaks.

As you guys can see hopefully past my poor photographs that some flooring has been done. A lot of stuff that was not glued before is not glued in place.
By the end of this week mark my words we will have a more finished construction ready for at least a primer coat.
On a side note the boards that sw1 is putting out for the event are epic and I'm certain that everyone attending will try to take at least one home. (Under their coat if necessary, we are mancunians after all. ):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Greenthumb

Ganger
Jan 28, 2018
Manchester
Right guys.
Update time at last. Ive recently been unwell so excuse my absence.
Anyway the great church of mankfester is taking great shape now. Like any good building contractor my schedule of work was way off as I'm not jesus. That was a much better carpenter than myself. Lol

Right here is where I was a couple of days ago.

Today I've got a lot more done including some rather satisfying angle grinding. It's a strange sensation taking a heavy power tool to near complete terrain but I couldn't help myself at all.

Luckily I hope to rattle can and airbrush most of it so the painting should be a shorter process altogether

Hopefully:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Greenthumb

Ganger
Jan 28, 2018
Manchester
Yep all floors and layers come away. Once I've got to spray point it wont get any more glue at all.
The bottom floor is one piece. The first floor the same. Third is two removable pieces.
Forth and fifth and fixed on the side I tore into.
They are seperate on the clock tower side.
All the walkways come off and sit back on hold by the floor above sort of. All the floor sections can be fully removed so it can be packed up.
Hope that answers what you need sw1.
Yep needed the gaviscon just to make it into the final build phase. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Greenthumb

Ganger
Jan 28, 2018
Manchester
Right,
Quick update on today's progress. Done for today intol I get more plasticard tomorrow lunch then its game on again.

So far so good. I still have a lot to do but at least the bulk of the large work is getting somewhere. I still have 12 ladders and 3 stairwell to throw together yet. At that point it will be paint ready or near enough so light at the end of the tunnel.