N18 Meat harvest - broken scenario?

antsiranean

Feb 9, 2020
G'day mates! My son and I are enjoying the Dark Uprising campaign, and played Meat Harvest for the first time yesterday. The scenario seems broken to us, have we missed something?

The Corpse Grinders deployed three ganger on one tile, the Enforcers the same. Then when we placed the hive dwellers, we could each place six of them right next to our fighters - since a tile is twelve inches, and the only rule governing their deployment stated that they were to be placed more than 8 inches from a board edge.

In the first turn, the CG's slaughtered six dwellers, and the Enforcers saved six - easy since they were deployed within the respective deployment zones. Game over.

We realized this bug early on and quickly decided that the dwellers had to be deployed at least 2 inches apart from each other, and started over, but it was still a rather quick and unbalanced game - the defender having a huge advantage.

People seem to be enjoying this scenario, how have you modified it for better balance? Placing the dwellers first, before the gangs? Suggestions, anyone? The scenario seems like good fun, if this deployment issue were fixed.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Keep in mind scenarios have never been play tested and most of them are broken in similar ways as you describe. The scenario uses standard deployment, so could be 48"x48" Sector Mechanicus table, offering more difficulty to herd the hive dwellers to safety.

I would also suggest placing all hive dwellers in neutral zone between the deployment zones, perhaps some distance away from any other fighter (6" or 8").

antsiranean

Feb 9, 2020
More than 8" away from any fighter would make sense, then most fighters can't charge a dweller i the first turn, and the shepherd action requires a move to be made first (since it has a reach of 8"). Perhaps also placing hive dwellers first, and deploy gangs thereafter?

Scenarios haven't been play tested? 😳 For real?

Reactions: Aulenback

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
You will find a lot of scenarios that are broken like this. Just check out all the ones where one side can win by voluntarily flee, or the ones that can never be won because one gang has to move across the battle field, into or through the other gang, and sometimes even dragging loot back again. Some Dev openly said in interview how they were understaffed and spread across too many projects. Zero playtesting. Not even proofreading.

What would be improved by placing hive dwellers first? Not a bad idea, but not sure if it fixes anything?

Reactions: Aulenback

antsiranean

Feb 9, 2020
The idea behind placing dwellers first is simply that if you don't know where you will be deploying yourself, I think one would be more prone to put them a fair bit away from any possible deployment zones? Sort of like when placing the loot in the Scavenge scenario?

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Yeah, sadly modern Necromunda has a ton of problems. I'd recommend staying away from anything involving sentries (stealth mechanics are very unfun for the defender), ambush-type scenario (most of the time they result in very unfair fight which is thematic, but not fun to play out). Some scenarios can be won by voluntarily bottling, so agree in advance that if a gang bottles out, it loses, also fighters who flee the battlefield count as casualties for scenario objectives (unless the scenario directly states otherwise).

I recommend checking out Goonhammer articles on Necromunda, there are few which give detailed review of every scenario so far (except newest books dedicated to gangs). Also NCE (old Necromunda with fanmade clean up) is a great source for missions.

BrotherOracle

Nov 12, 2020
I also think that you have to look at the scenario in context of the campaign. Like each harvest gives you a store of meat right?

So it might be hard to win that scenario but if it gives you meat stores then it really sets you up well for the next phase of the Dark Uprising campaign.

I am fine with a few unbalanced scenarios, it can balance a campaign if your arbitrator uses them correctly and you have a gang that is running roughshod over everyone else.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
You can't assume that a campaign has an arbitrator though, as Necromunda traditionally always has been arbitrator-free.