MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
No, I liked that! Maybe because red was the "splash" colour and blue the main? A warmer colour for the eye catching might work better than vice versa.

Unslain

Gang Hero
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
I think the back row all work fine, I particularly like where you've done a single-leg in a different colour.

For the front row, I think it works where their trousers match their hair - that seems a very cyberpunk thing to do. But if the hats are going to conceal most of the hair, they maybe need some other item to colour coordinate with.

The variety of colours makes them look much less corporate, so to my mind it depends on what feel you want to go for. If they're a corp squad then maybe some smaller touches of individuality, like gun casings or even just custom grips or a decorative piece on the thigh or similar common area (same location and colour on everyone but differing designs).

Reactions: MedMos

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Thanks, I might be warming to the idea of the incoherent look. But I still need to do something about those reds, they don't sit well with me.

The single leg with colour is only from certain angles, it depends on the leg armour, which is going to be highlighted like the torso. So on some legs the colour isn't visible from the front.

Thanks for the input, please feel free to add any thoughts! It really helps me think these important decisions through. :giggle:

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
No, it is rather muted, as I didn't want it to pop too much, like discussed earlier. But you might be right, it isn't a very nice colour, actually. So maybe I'll try something a little more stark? Maybe just as a highlight? I liked the red on the long braid on my leader, but that braid plays very well with a drybrush, creating nice contrast, unlike a larger surface like pant legs.

Unslain

Gang Hero
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
You could maybe try using a red glaze over the black (maybe make it a very dark grey instead) and highlight. A friend had a fake-leather jacket that started black but turned red along the ridge of creases over something like ten years. We all thought he'd had it painted as it looked better that way than when he'd bought it.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I, too, like them except for the muddy red-brown. Maybe if that’s the base color with some garish tiger stripes or polka dots?

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I'll give it a shot! If it's no good, it's just a black coat with a quick drybrush and try again. Thanks again, guys!

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Been a while, as hobby has moved kinda slow. But the last couple of days the little'uns wanted to paint, so I managed to sneak out the Eschers and put a dap of paint on them.
I abandoned the coloured pants, and decided to do splash colours on sashes, hair and stuff like that instead. It was just getting too messy for me.
Quick wip shot.

Skin colour still missing on the leader and heavy with flamer, but the leader has an example of splash colour I'm talking about. I still need to do the light blue highlight and skin colour on most of the arms, so haven't included them yet. Next up is flesh wash and more splash colours (is that even a term?).

In other news, I took some pictures of my finished* scavvy gang and made a seperate thread for finished projects. Warning: pictures are still not very good!

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I think the normal term is spot colours, but I get what you mean.

Changing the pants looks like a good choice.

Last edited:

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Thanks, that is the term I was thinking of! I even put it in the description of the picture, but still my mind blanked. :LOL:
And thanks again, I feel like changing the pants was the right thing to do as well, looking at pictures of both.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
An image of treasure hunters looting a hoard while huge spiders encroached upon them popped into my head. I need both treasure tokens, treasure hunters and ice spiders to hopefully soon try my hand at Frostgrave, so why not try and make it fit together for yakcomp!? :giggle:

I might substitute one of the soon-to-be treasure hunters with a goblin thug. The spiders will be hiding in a ruin to ambush any poor soul trying to snatch the treasures, made up of the various loose bits in the picture. Note to self: build ruin!
I should probably strip the paint off the dark elf, but I'll likely just paint over the old paintjob.

In other news, I'm practically over a horrible cold, so painting will commence on the Escher gang. I've done a little work, but not enough to warrant another wip picture.
And in related news, I've got games booked! YAY!! Related because I'd really like to get the Eschers painted before playing this coming Sunday.:D

Pagumb

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
Will you be using glitter glue to simulate large piles of gold and/or silver pieces mounded up along with magic weapons, chests, etc.? Seen a couple of videos using that material and it worked pretty well. Never would’ve considered such a thing but then my crafting knowledge is limited in many areas. Good luck with the comp.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I don't have anything resembling glitter glue... I actually just thought I could take a thin plastic rod and slice a pile of coins from it? They won't be massive mounds of gold, just scattered under weapons/armor/books mostly.

Reactions: Unslain

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Glitter glue isn't that expensive - here at least - and is much less messy than using loose glitter. That said, while a pile of coins looks cool, it isn't particularly realistic as something that a character could pick up and carry. A chest or some other item - like what you have there - is perfectly good.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
There's a trade off here between 'realism' and 'playability'. I made a bunch of chests and bags, but found they didn't stand out very well on the table, so then I made some shiny gold things instead.

Reactions: Mr. M

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I see your point. Because for the comp I'd like something that doesn't look exactly like a bunch of tokens stuffed in a ruin. Which it is... But I guess tokens blending in would be problematic in game. Something to think about.

Reactions: Ben_S