Miniatures trashed by vandals.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Although it’s not wargaming related, it is Miniatures related news.

Can we spare a thought for the poor Model Railway group who had 25 years of work and many thousands of £s of layouts trashed by four kids who broke into the hall and stomped on their models.

“Market Deeping Model Railway Club lost years of work in the raid at Welland Academy in Stamford on Saturday.

Its chairman Peter Davies, 70, said exhibits were smashed, thrown around and stamped on, including a locomotive unit worth about £8,500.

Four youths have been arrested on suspicion of burglary and criminal damage.”

Resmire

Ganger
Aug 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
This honestly makes me sick to the core... its a horrifying thought all the work that they've put in is just gone in the blink of an eye...

Really feel for their group.

• Sad
Reactions: Aulenback

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I always find any kind of vandalism hard to tolerate. I can understand (though not condone) something like theft, but those who get a kick out of damaging or destroying things just so others can't have them really are pretty sad. Even worse when the loss is a labour of love like this, since money can't really replace what was lost.

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Terrible. Intoxication really a plea?
Curious how fellow yakkers feel about that sentence... parents pay 500 pound fine

Does that even cover court costs?

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I was struck by the fact that four 16-year-old boys "shared a bottle of vodka as part of a "pre-exam night out"".

If that's how they approach their school exams (presumably GCSEs), then their life prospects are probably not that great.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Does that even cover court costs?
I'm not 100% sure but I believe that, in uk laws, the losing party is responsible for all court costs (on top of any fine/damages they may be sentenced to)
Also, I'd be surprised if insurance didn't cover at least part of the damage. No amount of money will get back all those hours of hard work though.

I kinda agree with the chairman here:
We have to allow them to make a second start, although I don't condone the damage, it was horrific
It's sad and infuriating, but not something serious enough to ruin lives over. It's better to treat drunk teens as an act of Tzeentch.

Reactions: Space Truckin

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Warning: broad generalisations ahead.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that, in uk laws, the losing party is responsible for all court costs (on top of any fine/damages they may be sentenced to)
True, however the kind of kids who get drunk before exams and break into halls then destroy everything they find a) can't afford the costs themselves and b) don't have parents that can afford them either. You can get away with many things in the UK by being unable to afford the fines - it costs the state money to incarcerate you and a criminal record is actually helpful to someone with no intention of ever having a job, so instead you get slapped with something daft like paying it back at 50p a week from your benefits for the rest of your natural life, and you get to happily go about your business effectively unpunished. (I have several friends who are/were police officers and this causes them so much rage).

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
While these kids deserve every chance to turn things around it seems the system is ill equipped to provide them the necessary tools and incentives to correct their behavior.

As a person who lost their fiancee to a drunk driver (in yorkshire) and attending months of court hearings the sorry I was drunk excuse angers me. The UK legal system is flawed.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
And here in the US we now have the “affluenza” defense. where the kids get off (even for killing people) because their parents were so wealthy they didn’t bother to teach the kid right from wrong. WTF is that?