N18 Monster Hunt, your experiences pls

El Scorcho

Mar 10, 2016
Gothenburg, Sweden
Im planning to arbitrate a slightly modded multiplayer version och the Monster Hunt scenario.
But first i want to hear your experiences from that scenario.
-Does it take long to play?
-How is the powerlevel of the Beast Lairs?
-How is the powerlevel of the Sump Beast?
-Any other experiences, imbalances or such?

The purpose of the modded scenario:
I want gangs to be able to bait the beast without any fighting. I also want gangs to have some control over where the lairs appear. I dont want to much time to be spent fighting lairs, focus should be on the sump horror.

My thoughts so far:
Rousing the beast.
The monster is attracted by blood. Every time a fighter is wounded a numbered blood marker (1-6) is dropped. At the end of each round a D6 is rolled. If the roll matches a blood marker that marker is replaced by a beast lair. If there are no blood markers available; pick up and place the oldest blood marker as the beast prefers fresh blood. Once three beast lairs have been destroyed the sump horror immediately appears in the middle of the table.

Special Actions:
-Blood Letting ( Basic Action ) To perform this action the fighter must first pass a willpower test or the action is lost. The fighter then drops a blood marker in base contact, then the fighter must pass toughness test or take a flesh wound.

Special Rule:
Sacrifice: Fighters may attack fighters from the same gang. The attacked fighter is immediately broken and cannot rally but no nerve tests need to be taken.

I would love your thoughts on this. Theeeeeeenks ^^

Galtarr

Gang Champion
Mar 1, 2017
Great fun, we ran 2 4-way multiplayer variants of this as the apotheosis battle.
Power level is tough but doable. However players need to know what they are getting into.
The first game the gangs decided to settle their own grudges first. This left gangs too weak to deal with the monster lairs.
Second game the remaining 4 gangx knew they'd have to work together.
Alot comes down to knowing who to wound, as soon as a monster token goes down in the middle of a group your boned. So long as you can control the range its maneagable. Ultimately it does require gang cooperation which is tricky when you start shooting one another.

As with any multiplayer its also time consuming. Exponentially with number of players imho.

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
I saw a youtube video of new gangs playing it, they bottled before the big beastie ever showed up. So I would not recommend it at the start of a campaign.

enyoss

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Jul 19, 2015
SL
It’s a really hard scenario, even if it is quite fun.

We found the difficulty came from the fact that beast markers which spawn do so near fighters, and then attack the fighters causing more flesh wounds, which spawn more beast markers, etc.

This was made even harder with the UH/GW beast marker rules though which attacked on start or end of activation within range. I think the N18 rules are more forgiving and only attack if you end your activation within range, which at least means fighters can escape before getting hit by a marker they spawn.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I have only played it with the older rules for beast life’s and the scenario and it was a blood bath as soon as one gang took a wound.

The new rules that make beast lures weaker and only hit at the start/end of the models activation make it a bit easier.

I don’t think you need the blood letting or sacrifice rules as they will only encourage team work between the gangs.

If it’s being played as a final scenario for a campaign I would suggest letting the last gang stay on the board to take on the monster if it is already on the board to try and claim the reward.

Reactions: El Scorcho

El Scorcho

Mar 10, 2016
Gothenburg, Sweden
I have only played it with the older rules for beast life’s and the scenario and it was a blood bath as soon as one gang took a wound.

The new rules that make beast lures weaker and only hit at the start/end of the models activation make it a bit easier.

I don’t think you need the blood letting or sacrifice rules as they will only encourage team work between the gangs.

If it’s being played as a final scenario for a campaign I would suggest letting the last gang stay on the board to take on the monster if it is already on the board to try and claim the reward.
Thanks everyone for all the input!

Im using the rules for the new Beast Lure. Hopefully that wont massacre everyone. ;)

I removed the rules for sacrifice but i really like the "Blood Letting" action. I find it narrative. And cooperation isnt neccessarily a bad thing in my campaign. In the end only one gang can claim the kill.

Unfortunately we didnt get the chance to play it last week. But ill let you know how it turned out.
Once ive rewritten the scenarion i will post it here. :)

Reactions: TopsyKretts