Mordheim model proxies

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
Yearning for simpler times, and confounded by the mobile library Necromunda has become, I recently picked up a copy of the Mordheim rulebook. My regular games buddy and I are about to play our first game this weekend and, with assuming all goes well and we both enjoy it, I've been looking at models for different warbands.

Right now we're planning to use models from Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest to build two Mercenary warbands, and from what I can see online plastic sprues of the original models (rebranded i believe into free company militia are available on eBay for not-extorniate amounts.

Likewise, Skaven are easy enough, as their are clanrat and night runner boxes available, and undead can probably be cobbled together from the citadel range but what about the others?

What proxy models do others use for Mordheim? Who makes the best stand ins for Cult of the Possessed, Sisters of Sigmar or Witch Hunters?

Reactions: Mr. M

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
Meant to add, I created this thread as their doesnt seem to be a collated resource for model proxies. There is one for terrain, and there are proxy recommendations scattered across the forum, but I figured it would be useful to park them all in one place for future Mordheimers (like me!)

Mr. M

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Aug 1, 2019
San Jose, CA
@Raven Morpheus picked up some nice looking witch hunter minis from (I think) a Spanish company a while back.

For chaos cultists, I'd probably first see if something from GW's Slaves to Darkness AOS/Warcry minis would work. Frostgrave cultists are an option. Or maybe see if Reaper has some random minis that fit the bill.

As for Sisters of Sigmar proxies, not sure if some company makes female crusaders, but Reaper has a wide selection of female hero models that might work.

Reactions: Pagumb

Pagumb

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Sep 10, 2020
Reaper has Sisters of the Blade models and many excellent female fighter/ranger/paladin models. Anvil Industries has their Burning Rose models and female robed bodies that might help depending on the degre they need to be armored.

Reactions: Mr. M

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
@Raven Morpheus picked up some nice looking witch hunter minis from (I think) a Spanish company a while back.

For chaos cultists, I'd probably first see if something from GW's Slaves to Darkness AOS/Warcry minis would work. Frostgrave cultists are an option. Or maybe see if Reaper has some random minis that fit the bill.

As for Sisters of Sigmar proxies, not sure if some company makes female crusaders, but Reaper has a wide selection of female hero models that might work.

I did, but only the one, the rest of the warband were from Hasslefree Miniatures, GW, and Reaper. The Spanish company is MoM Miniatures.

Heresy Lab make a Sisters proxy, a full set of 10+, or available as individuals, they call them Flame Templar Nuns. They're on my rather long "to buy" list.

They also do another set called the Flaming Lys Order, which appear to be Bretonnians.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pagumb and Mr. M

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Personally, I like Frostgrave stuff. Cultists, Barbarians, and Gnolls all suit Possessed warbands.

Has anyone mentioned Shieldwolf minis?

I don't have first-hand experience of these, but they look like options to consider for Sisters. I gather that they're quite big/tall though.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot that Mantic do a not-Sisters warband: