Mordheim vs Skirmish

Narwhal King

Ganger
May 18, 2017
I recently have discovered the whole GW Skirmish Genre, and I'm wonder what is cheaper/easier to get into: Mordheim or Age of Sigmar Skirmish. They both seem awesome.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
For Mordheim, you can download the rules online. For AoS Skirmish, I believe you need to buy them (though only £6).

Cost of models is very variable, depending on what faction you go for and choices you make. I suspect you can get in to either game fairly cheaply if you want, but equally you could spend quite a bit if you really wanted to have a nice, pimped out warband.

If you're looking for random pick up games, it will probably be easier to find opponents for AoS Skirmish.

Reactions: Aulenback

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
The beauty of Mordheim is you can use any old figures for it, so long as they are fairly representative of what the model is armed with.

As @Ben_S points out, if you're also looking for new friends, AoS opponents are more likely to be found easily.

Either is a good choice though.

djmothra

Magister Competere
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jan 6, 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, VietNam
There is little or no real experience in Skirmish - occasionally your general might get a new Hero Ability - but no one else gains anything.

Also, no deaths - so each warband constantly increases in size with their Renown - and 100 renown (start with 25) is not far off a 1000 point normal AoS game.

Its ok to find players yeah, but Mordheim is way better.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Curiously, a brief browse of the internet a half year later suggests that the most common "house rules" for Skirmish campaigns are... experience and injuries for warband members, followed by ways to extend the campaign. So... trying to make it more like Mordheim!

So... use Skirmish as a "gateway" to get local players interested in Mordheim, especially while noting that most AoS factions have a comparable warband in Mordheim, once you look at all the extras in Empire in Flames and Nemesis Crown, and even many of the fan-made ones, and the only ones that seem seriously out of balance with the rest are the various elf warbands. Not sure why. So use Skirmish to hook them, and then reel them in to Mordheim once they are hooked.

Adam Levine

Feb 13, 2019
As rules go AoS is easier to pick up for new players as the stat lines are easier to follow. You always hit on x + number and wound on y+ number. Mordheim requires some basic understanding of the chart system that the older versions of fantasy used.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Hmm. So rules-wise it looks like tacking Mordheim's campaign rules [injury, experience, skills] onto AoS military units [warscrolls for AoS units]. Visually that might look on the table like importing AoS-style models into Mordheim, or importing Mordheim's game into AoS's setting, but Mordheim generally feels more like using background or RPG characters than front-line military units. As an example, while I have pulled Nighthaunt models into my own Mordheim Restless Dead warband, they are nowhere near as competent and powerful at the beginning as would be using actual Nighthaunt warscroll units under this proposed ruleset.

Yes, I know, AoS dials up the "HEROIC" to around a thirteen, in comparison to the Old World of WFRP and Mordheim. Still.

Anyhow, many of the AoS-era [new] models are gorgeous sculpts, and I definitely understand the desire to use them. I am myself aiming to use Nighthaunt for an undead warband, Kharadron for a dwarf treasure hunters warband, and so on. This "settings expansion" could work, but really I would suggest the need to build up warband lists from scratch, to avoid the power creep that we saw in the Lustria warbands, and in AoS itself. Case in point, compare the Undead warband with the Death Eater Courts warscrolls.

AoS ghoul Move 6" WS3 BS0 S3 T3 W1 A2 Ld10 Sv6+
MH ghoul Move 4" WS2 BS2 S3 T4 W1 A2 Ld5 Sv--

Last edited:
Reactions: MedMos and Jaws

Jaws

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jul 23, 2013
Hamar, Norway
Hmm. So rules-wise it looks like tacking Mordheim's campaign rules [injury, experience, skills] onto AoS military units [warscrolls for AoS units]. Visually that might look on the table like importing AoS-style models into Mordheim, or importing Mordheim's game into AoS's setting, but Mordheim generally feels more like using background or RPG characters than front-line military units. As an example, while I have pulled Nighthaunt models into my own Mordheim Restless Dead warband, they are nowhere near as competent and powerful at the beginning as would be using actual Nighthaunt warscroll units under this proposed ruleset.

Yes, I know, AoS dials up the "HEROIC" to around a thirteen, in comparison to the Old World of WFRP and Mordheim. Still.

Anyhow, many of the AoS-era [new] models are gorgeous sculpts, and I definitely understand the desire to use them. I am myself aiming to use Nighthaunt for an undead warband, Kharadron for a dwarf treasure hunters warband, and so on. This "settings expansion" could work, but really I would suggest the need to build up warband lists from scratch, to avoid the power creep that we saw in the Lustria warbands, and in AoS itself. Case in point, compare the Undead warband with the Death Eater Courts warscrolls.

AoS ghoul Move 6" WS3 BS0 S3 T3 W1 A2 Ld10 Sv6+
MH ghoul Move 4" WS2 BS2 S3 T4 W1 A2 Ld5 Sv--
Yes. It's more like AoS Kill Team, but it is quite a lot more insteresting than normal Skirmish. ;)