More I-Beams than you can count found in Target Clearance.

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
chicagoskirmishwargames.com
Found this deal at Target clearance today. Only $2.30 for this "Power City Construction Extension Pack".

DSC02181_zps9949f310.jpg

Apparently meant as an add-on to the various power-city building and train sets, it wasn't much of an add-on because it didn't come with any wall panels. However, what it does come with is this:
DSC02180_zpsbdb0aaa9.jpg

The fig for scale is a 28mm Shockforce mini.

-1 base
-4 roof or floor pieces
-84 columns (the shorter ones)
-64 beams (the longer ones)
-8 posts that allow you to build a bottom corner without having a beam below

I went a bit nuts and bought all 6 I was able to find. At this price, I'll probably be using some of them just to make stacks of I-beams for terrain. Seems to me that this would be useful for many eras of play from 20th century through sci-fi.
The only drawback is the various nubs that most of us will want to trim off, but that seems like a small price to pay.

FluffyBunny

Gang Champion
Apr 18, 2013
good lord, thats incredible. Just look at the kids happy face, there must be hours of fun to be had.

excellent find. what other toys make excellent terain? (Lego, playmobile) i've seen several discarded kids garage playsets on the street but just thought i'd look odd grabbing it, and would have a hard time explaining it when i got home.

Reactions: SNxWMxN

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
Just visited another Target and they didn't have any. Get it while you can!

Based on discussion at another forum, it turns out that these parts are the "Girder and Panel" system, an old kenner toy from the 50's that is still made by this company...
http://www.bridgestreettoys.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?listcategories=action&parent=5000
...and was apparently licensed from them for this "power city" line of toys.

Scale and Size

As for scale, the Company currently making them (linked above) says that they are 1/87 (HO scale) and the doors on the panels currently being sold look about right for that. Technically that would make the panels too small for to-the-eye 25 or 28mm figs. However, there are many panels pictured on the website that are very scale-neutral and would look fine for 25 or 28mm figs. Apparently they will sell you packs of panels or other parts separately.

I'm not using any panels,so they work fine for 28mm.

For those interested in measurements
-the vertical columns are 50mm
-the horizontal beams are 70mm.
-All the beams are 5mm thick.
-Clearance under a beam that had been clicked into vertical columns is 45mm.

The lengths above do not include the connecting tabs or studs on the side or ends.

As for other toys, I make nearly all my terrain from cast-off toys and that I find at resale shops and clearance aisles. I learned almost everything I know from Necromundicon (now part of ironhands.com). Mr Patten is the master guru of toys turned into terrain.

Virtually any building playset has parts that can be hacked up and reassembled. You can see most of them on my blog but if I can toot my own horn some more, these two posts are among my most informative
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/08/toy-bashing-urban-terrain.html
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/07/tenement-high-rise-from-toy-playsets.html

These methods hold especially true when you're building terrain for settings like Necromunda where a bit of a ramshackle aesthetic is desirable. I personally don't use LEGO or compatible sets much, except for some of the detail pieces. Playmobile has some good stuff. Their anglular plastic rocks are some of the best terrain toys I've found and I'm always on the lookout for more. I just picked up a playmobile police garage that will end up as a near future warehouse. Hot Wheels and matchbox style playests often yield good buildings. I've got a "Cars" diner/gas station that is almost useable as-is if you wanted a Fallout Las Vegas kind of look.

I think at some point I should drag out all my boxes of collected toys-for-terrain and just make a blog post of pictures of toys that would make good terrain to let folks know what to look for.

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
Wow, that's really expensive! Full price for the set is only $8 here in the USA. For $24, you'd probably be better of buying direct from an independent seller of "Bridge Street Toys" or some other seller.

Still with free shipping included, it might be somewhat competitive. US to UK is pretty brutal on the wallet these days.

FluffyBunny

Gang Champion
Apr 18, 2013
Don't you mean "what a steel i-beam"

eh, eh, see what i did there. i swapped steal for steel, because it related to something made out of steel. its a play on words, and im proud.

Last edited: