Moustache's Modelling Mayhem (and other such ramblings)

Dec 15, 2021
Canada
Another set of MDF containers, this time going for a dirty/ashy/crusty look. This time is was a green wood stain base, some Warplock Bronze, Trash Metal, and Helot Green dry brushing, Black wash, Earth Wash, some Rust wash... then a bunch of dirt, moss, and ash pigments.

oHv2s4O.jpg

Honestly, it may be a little too much, but I wanted to experiment with my MDF containers before moving onto the GW ones.

Reactions: trollmeat

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Round up! Round up! Taking bets now - How long will "painting only" and "assembly only" rules remain in force? Don't be shy! Odds currently 20/1 against it lasting a year... ( I jest as I tried a similar thing once. It didn't last.)

Your wooden crates look really really good. Damp and mouldy.

Dec 15, 2021
Canada
Round up! Round up! Taking bets now - How long will "painting only" and "assembly only" rules remain in force? Don't be shy! Odds currently 20/1 against it lasting a year... ( I jest as I tried a similar thing once. It didn't last.)

Your wooden crates look really really good. Damp and mouldy.

A year is being very generous, haha. Still, one can dream...

The crates turned out nicer than I thought they would tbh; I tried using wood stain on them at first and it really didn't take but contrast paint was able to bring some colour while still leaving the grain detail alone. Add in was and pigments (started with pure moss green then kept adding dirt/smoke pigment to darken it up over each application) and I'm almost afraid to touch them because they're gross now, heh.

There's a dozen more crates (different style) in wood and countless in plastic on the way. Pretty sure my campaign is taking place on a shipping word at this point...

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Why use a cutting mat just for painting? You can use a bit of old cardboard or newspaper for that.

Dec 15, 2021
Canada
Why use a cutting mat just for painting? You can use a bit of old cardboard or newspaper for that.

My "modelling station" is also a work-from-home desk so it's easier to have cutting mats I can take on/off with ease. "Painting Only" is really just wishful thinking, heh.

EDIT: Newspaper??? Haven't seen one of those in this apartment... ever. Maybe I could borrow the one from my Boomer neighbour after she's done with it though...

• Haha
Dec 15, 2021
Canada
Trying to decide how to build out a modular board; max size is 3x5:

kDLzF6q.jpg

Should I build 1 tile at a time, or earmark X number of tiles for certain sections?

Here's a sample of terrain:

RLmtYvN.jpg

Dec 15, 2021
Canada
Don't talk to me or my son again

5Rc74PN.jpg

LlLvgVQ.jpg

There's a lot of leftovers in the Redmptionists box so I thought I'd take a model from the Age of Sigmar Flagellants and try adding a new upper-torso...

Unfortunately I may have hacked a little too much away, thus diminishing his height... oops.