Movement Phase Rule - Why Initiative not used?

SAWAL2

Juve
Nov 10, 2022
Hi,

Many years ago I played Confrontation - Used what rules appeared in WD, and filled in the gaps if/where needed. Enjoyed it, and then watched it develop into Necromunda (95);
Then, at somepoint other life priorities happened and I no longer had the commitment/time etc.

Anyway, 25+ years later my interest is starting to comeback (strangely after playing the 2017 Necromunda videogame), and I've started reading up on Necromunda again;
I see there's been quite a lot of material since 95!!

Rules wise, one question is bugging me though...

The movement phase - Any idea why using the Initiative of each individual character to determine movement order (Confrontation) was dropped in favour of each player moving all of their characters at the same time?

Using the Initiative value seemed a good method to set the turn order.

So was it just basically to simplify the movement phase and speed the game up?
Or prevent the same high level Initiative characters from always moving first at the beginning of each turn? (Thus gaining some advantage?)
Or am I missing something really obvious?

Great site by the way - Well done.

Thanks,
SA

welcome.
the problem is its all worked on low number stats , so with 15-20 gangers fighting in a game everybody would be activated at initiative 3 or 4 i guess.

In the latest Necromunda (N18+) movement and actions performed by the fighters alternate between players, so the "move all your guys" phase doesn't really exist in the latest version.

In Original Rule Book (ORB) up to Necromunda Community Edition (NCE) the movement phase is there, and I believe it was kept as one phase as the rules in general are based on 2nd Edition 40k. So they did what people were used to, which at the time was Gang A Moves > Gang A Shooting > Close Combat > Gang B Moves > Gang B Shooting > Close Combat.

It's a step on from the more RPG Confrontation onto a more skirmish wargame Necromunda and it's gone back to being more RPG ISH with a fair bit of N18+ hailing back to the Confrontation days with stats like Cool etc.

In the latest Necromunda (N18+) movement and actions performed by the fighters alternate between players, so the "move all your guys" phase doesn't really exist in the latest version.

In Original Rule Book (ORB) up to Necromunda Community Edition (NCE) the movement phase is there, and I believe it was kept as one phase as the rules in general are based on 2nd Edition 40k. So they did what people were used to, which at the time was Gang A Moves > Gang A Shooting > Close Combat > Gang B Moves > Gang B Shooting > Close Combat.

It's a step on from the more RPG Confrontation onto a more skirmish wargame Necromunda and it's gone back to being more RPG ISH with a fair bit of N18+ hailing back to the Confrontation days with stats like Cool etc.

Thank you for the explanation on which version the movement phase rules changed;

So far I've read both ORB and LRB(2003?);

To gain more of an understanding on what I might have missed over the years, my intention was to start with re-visiting N95, then in chronological order read the other rulebooks and understand the differences - but I now realise this is probably too big a task due to the amount of material and rules changes.

Therefore, after reading some of the other beginner threads I've now ordered the hardbacked rulebook (Goliaths/Eschers on the cover) and the Gangs of the underhive, and will start from there.

Thanks

Reactions: Stoof
The 2018 rulebook book is a good start and it's *generally* right. There has been a swathe of books released since for specific gangs expanding on their available options, and recently another updated core rulebook, but the Hardback and GotU is a good foundation closest to the N95 pair of books of old.

I'm not so hot on the new version, but there are lots of people here who know it inside out, who I'm sure will be happy to help if you're confused by any of it.

Reactions: SAWAL2
There is no move phase in modern necromunda. The fighters use a alternative activation system where one players fighter performed all his actions, move shoot etc, then the other player picks one of thiers and does the same and then repeat. This is honestly a better system, especially for skirmish games like necromunda, than the common one player does everything then the other player follows suit.
The alternating activation for individual fighters, or small groups via group activations, allows the player the most choice in tactics. It is not a entire gang acting without response so no more loosing a game just because the other player gets to shoot first.

If you tied it to initiative say high initiative going first it would firstly penalize low initiative fighters unfairly. If someone has a Van Saar gang or a Ogryn or Goliath gang why should you force thier entire lower initiative gang to go last?
Secondly it will encourage the slower gang to power game and spam the overpowered options they have in an effort to have a effect from their survivors.
Thirdly it would force you to use your own high initiative fighters first. So a high initiative death maiden will have to act first when the only available target is a little lowly juve and once they paste said juve are in perfect position to be hit be a crossfire of heavy bolter and melta fire from that juves lower initiative mates just out of sight. It would have made much more sense to just shoot the juve with your lower initiative sister than sacrifice your higher initiative death maiden to a carefully made trap.

The opposite would be true if you put low initiative first. The higher initiative gangs would automatically surrender the tactical initiative, be forced to power game and become "that guy" and be forced into a cautionary approach sneaking around the field for far too long or fall into easy traps all the time.

Necromunda is a game of flexibility and should remain so.

Reactions: SAWAL2
Alternating activations give more room for thought and choice. Several modern GW games use this like Underworld and Kill Team. Bunch of non-GW skirmish games too.

Hi @SAWAL2 ,

So... I'm going to say you're initial post is a little confused, as you've tagged it with N18, which is the new ruleset, with alt activation as others have said, and doesnt have a movement phase, but your post disucsses a movement phase (clearly an oldmunda thing (N95 through to NCE). You also mentioned later that you've started with N95 and LRB.

Therefore I'm going to remove the N18 tag from the thread, and answer the question as applicable to oldmunda as general (as the changes are fairly minimal between editions of oldmunda).

My response would be, it could work really well as a house rule, I'd suggest to avoid the bias's towards favouring one or the other, do it similar to xwing pilot stat, which is the lowest Int moves first, but the highest Int shoots first. This means that high Int has the advantage of being able to move in response to the slower enemies, but also gets to shoot first. This obvs. will lead to a lot of random dice offs to start with as everyone is more or less Int 3 or 4, but later on when injuries take their toll, and advances work, you will have more differences which could really shake things up.