N18 MPC - Painting Log

Jan 10, 2019
Really good but I think the darks are little too washed out, maybe just some minor highlights or a drybrush of the lit color?

Can I check exactly what you mean? Do you mean that the darkness looks washed out (i.e. a bit pale), or do you perhaps mean that it looks flat/monochrome?

If the former, that's just because of settings I'm using to take the photos - if the model isn't light saturated the pictures don't show any detail at all.

If it's the latter, then there is slightly more texture than is obvious from these pictures - the minis were fully painted first, with the black being added as an overlay afterwards.. The lack of drybrushing more light from the light source is deliberate - I wanted to give an impression of flickering candles struggling to light tiny areas in a complete, smothering darkness. I don't really want to reverse that by highlighting / adding drybrushing from light. If you can think of any other ways that I might add texture though, more than happy to hear suggestions!

Reactions: Sobek
Jan 10, 2019
Not quite flat, I think the dark area needs just a tiny touch more color.
Could be the fault of the photo, thats just what my eyes tell me.

Well, those areas are basically black.. Little bit of colour shows through but not much. Okay, thanks for the suggestion, will have a think about what I can do.

Jan 10, 2019
So in order to take a break from painting OSL, I decided to take a break from my Cawdor gang and paint up a bounty hunter.

It's pretty rare that I follow a GW colour scheme for anything (half the fun is taking something and making it your own), but I think the one for Grendl Grendelsen is really effective, so I just decided to try and mimic it as closely as possible. Here's the result:

I also have one question as well - there might be a couple of bits I tidy up on this, but it's basically done. What's the best way to prevent paint wear / chipping? I have a matt varnish (I think it's Vallejo, but I'd have to check) - will this change the look / colours if applied, or what? If not (i.e. it's safe to use it) - any tips on how to apply it?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019
Hit it once with a thin gloss varnish then follow up with the matte so you get an extra layer and no shine

Thanks man! Now to find some gloss varnish!

I've not used varnish before - apart from getting rid of the shine, is the varnish likely to have any effect on appearance?

cainex1

Hive Guilder
Dec 8, 2017
USA
If you apply each in a single layer, it should come out looking roughly as it does painted. You can use different types of varnish/clearcoat to get different effects. For instance, if you had blood or wet you would want to go with gloss. I recommend practice with a piece of painted paper, just paint a happy face or something and try your layering. OR if you have a spare metal mini, you could prime it and practice until you can get it to look like the primer (since metal is easy as anything to strip clean)

Reactions: Malevolent Pink Cat
Jan 10, 2019
If you apply each in a single layer, it should come out looking roughly as it does painted. You can use different types of varnish/clearcoat to get different effects. For instance, if you had blood or wet you would want to go with gloss. I recommend practice with a piece of painted paper, just paint a happy face or something and try your layering. OR if you have a spare metal mini, you could prime it and practice until you can get it to look like the primer (since metal is easy as anything to strip clean)

Thanks again - really appreciate the advice / suggestions - will do as you suggest and try on paper first.

Jan 10, 2019
So, Yaktribe Comp 30, and also, incidentally, a chance to put together a Goliath gang leader.

Credit where it's due - the idea came from this blog: https://www.maleficdesign.com/necromunda/necromunda-mk-iii-scavenged-power-armour/
I've even used the same base model (and I'll almost certainly end up using a similar paint scheme as well - after all, Imperial Fists..), although clearly I've taken it in my own direction (and mutilated most of the Dark Imperium Death Guard in the process).

I want to give the impression that the power armour had been abandoned as irrecoverable after a plasma gun misfire (with the armour ruptured / severely damaged down one side, and the power blown), and that the Goliaths have had to jury-rig it to get it work - the almost steam-punk-like Death Guard backpack works very well to further that impression.

Jan 10, 2019
An update, more for my own benefit than anything - not sure it looks like much, but it's taken probably eight to ten hours of cutting, trimming and green-stuffing to get from "blue-tacked roughly in place" to "hooray, everything fits together!". Everything's glued, except for the head (for easier painting).

Still a few things to do (drill the barrel, tidy-up the base and some of the green stuff), but nearly ready for painting now (finally).

Jan 10, 2019
*casts raise thread*

Has anyone got any experience of using mold-a-scene plaster?

I've been trying it out to make a more dynamic base; I suspect my interpretation of a 2.5 : 1 plaster to water ratio is a bit different to the one the makers intended, but now that it is dry, rater than being hard and crusty, like I'd expect from plaster, it's more spongy - more like cork than anything.

Anyone able to tell me whether that's my own fail, or if it's working as intended?

Jan 10, 2019
RIght, it's been ages since I've provided an update here.

First,a couple of better pictures for some of the projects I've previously featured here:

Grendl Grendelson:

Three Cawdor gangers:

Now, some new stuff. First up, a couple of (tiny!) boats from the Blood Rage board game. Had real fun doing the water on these.

Next, a sentinel.

Some Gouged Eye blood bowl players (complete but for static grass):

Finally, my most recent project - one of the tractors from the Sector Mechanicus Galvanic Servohaulers. I magnetised the various arms / exhausts, so they are interchangeable - plan is to do that across all the various vehicles from the pack, so they are as versatile as possible.

Jan 10, 2019
I really love the concept of the Sheen Birds, but I haven't yet found a model to do them justice. So I've tried to make my own. Still needs a bit of tidy-up (mostly just trimming into shape a bit more - I know there are a few splurges of glue as well, but I deliberately left it in the hope that it will add some (rotting) texture once base-coated.

Any thoughts (and/or bets as to how long it will remain in one piece...)?

And now, trimmed and base-coated.

Last edited: