Drag to reposition cover

Necromunda MusingWarboss' Modelling and Painting log (Currently: Just an old Grenadier as a Ratskin)

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Hello YakTribe Community!

I joined here ages ago, back when it was still Yakromunda I think!!! I've been hanging out in the forums, though I never actually got round to posting any pictures of my stuff, even though I've been admiring all of your work! :notworthy:

So I decided it was time to brave the community further and engage a bit more... This year I'm going to start up my own project thread!!!
*Gulp*
Now I can show some of the stuff I've built over the decades and am (still) building. Painting as well... when I get them done obviously!! :LOL:

So welcome to my daft Plog where I'll be putting picture of the many many projects I am "working" on and hopefully, with your help and encouragement, actually get some finished.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Ok, so here we go! Thought I'd start with the oldest models I have (that haven't been stripped) which are still in use today.

So let me present to you my Wasteland Pirates.
Three of them anyway. I'll be digging out more of the older photos of these guys eventually for you to see what I've been playing with for most of this century.
L>R Barrington, Florentine and Jack Tar.

A little bit of History.
My pirates were created in 2001, initially 8 of them, plus a custom Pitslave, built from the awesome Empire Militia kit that was freely available at the time. Plus lots of plastic guns from the Orlocks that came in the 1995 Necromunda box. I'll get a photo of all of the 2001 gang soon. I chose 8 because that was what came in the Metal boxed gangs at the time!

So yeah, composition was mostly the same: Leader, Heavy, 5 Gangers and 1 "Juve". I run these Pirates as Orlock for the purposes of ORB/NCE games. Will do the same in N18 now it's out.

Since 2001 I've added a few more members to this gang, and will continue to do so! I love these guys, so even though the paint scheme is 18 years old by now, I still want to keep them on the table.

The bases however were a bit of a throwback to the 40k 2nd Goblin Green mixed with a grimdark style for 3rd ed. Basically what I used on my Orks at the time. I always thought these Pirates could be used as a human mercenary squad with the Orks as was a thing back in Rogue trader days. Hence the same basing.

Time moves on though, the basic black ballast with a dusting of Codex Grey was ok-ish but never really looked like ash and clinker to me. Recently I've been repainting my Orks bases with artists acrylic burnt umber and lightly drybrushing with Vallejo Cold Grey, followed by Stonewall Grey. A far more subtle dusty, ash-y look. Coupled with a neutral black base rim it was a lot closer to what I always wanted back then... so I decided to repaint the bases of my favorite gang ever...!

In for a penny, in for a pound, brought some fancy base name plates too. They've earned it.

This is the only two I've got swapped over so far and I'm quite happy with them, I think they look very classy and smart.
Jack Tar is in both images so you can compare before and after.

That's the end of my first gang image reveal!

Last edited:

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Here's a more complete photo of the Pirate Gang:
Trying to pick out from my archive of rubbishy photos some of the better ones!!

So all these guys have names, except that pesky Pitslave who never got enough game time to have a name stick!

Guy with the blue Mohawk (Gogul) is one of my newer additions.
Talking of which, here are three more new additions (2015) to the gang!
L>R The Colonel, Little Ron, Luke Plankwalker.

So all these guys were made for ORB/NCE rules; I loved the shotguns back in the old game so I thought the Pirates would be a bit more shotgun heavy.

Last edited:

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
To finish off my little flurry of photo tonight, here’s a few snaps of my Necromunda/Shadow War: Armageddon 3D tokens.
Loot Counters, press moulded from bits, based and painted.

Now we have the Gateway/Entrance which is a little hatch going into the ground. Used to use the old card mine entrance in the 90s. Now using this as it’s easier to slip in between scenery.

Lastly the classic Water Still.
Again, the card one was used for years but I wanted to make a fancy one.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
I love the idea of pirates in 40k universe. Freebooterz were awesome orks. I made eldar pirates (before GW released them as Dark Elves) thanks to the Rogue Trader fluff. I really like the few you've revealed so far. Jack Tar especially (he just speaks to me).
Wish I still had all my old freebooterz. I still have one but he needs cleaning up. Great models.

Pirates and 40k just seem to go together so well!!

Reactions: Punktaku

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
I'll be back to the old Pirates later! For now though I thought I'd post a WIP of my new N18 Goliath leader!

Haven't got a name for him yet. I'm thinking over a few possibilities. So before I carry on, the way I approach model building is very much as a modeller first, "rule of cool" and all that. As most of my kit spends ages on the workbench and then on display or languishing in a storage box I tend to make model which I think looks cool. In game, strict WYSIWYG they may well be terrible. Don't really care, the way the SG team have been chopping and changing things over the last year also makes me think it's better to go with what's nice to look at first, as the in-game utility could change at any moment!

The miniature this guy is based on is the Exalted Deathbringer, I saw it and thought it was a great pose and he didn't look too big, which is important as I don't want him so big he diminished the effect of 40mm based models like Ogryn, Ambots or other Brutes. He is still a Goliath, even if he is a very beefy Goliath. I do think a Goliath Leader should look bigger and beefier than a regular one though, don't you think?

Controversial choices - massive double handed axe and a combi plasma pistol/stubgun. C'mon, they look cool. That's it. I do keep thinking I should add on the little cables and clip points to the blade to suggest it is some kind of enormous power axe. The thing is absolutely massive though, so rules wise... I dunno, its waaaaay bigger than the basic double handed axe I got in the resin kit. Bigger than a Renderizer and the power axe in the resin is tiny! I shall have to look at the statlines and traits for appropriate massive weapons and whatever suits this monster blade will be what it becomes!! If you have any suggestions let me know.

I'm currently "working" on repainting the bases of my (Orlock) Pirates, assembling these Goliath, converting some Cawdor and eventually Escher as well. I'll post up some stuff when I get it done to a state where I don't feel ashamed of showing it!

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Minor update: mostly so I don’t forget I have this thread now! :D

Got my Goliaths assembled now. Waiting for a nice patch of weather and then I shall be blitzing them with primer! There were two already primed so I’m cracking on with them.

My plan is to get 12 models for each gang I own fully painted by the end of 2019. I’m going to attempt to work sequentially rather than my usual “painter butterfly” method of starting stuff ... then being distracted by the next project!!

The reason I’m going for 12 is that I recon it’s a decent amount to have in a collection that will allow me to start playing and still have a couple of models off table ready to be recruited before I have to paint more. In the Goliaths case they could have quite a few in that situation.

Still I’m talking about three gangs and a Kill Team. So that should be achievable right?? Right????

In preparation for the mass paint off I also brought some more paint. Because, addiction. Y’know. ;)

Seriously though I got fed up mixing flesh tones (especially when you have a ton to do) so I’ve gone all fancy and invested in some Foundry flesh paints. So. Much. Quicker.

Plus you can still mix on characters etc. for variation.

They also work to my favoured dark>light method so I’m stoked. :)

Reactions: trollmeat

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
It can’t really be an update without a photo though, so here’s a Classic Goliath I painted up with Foundry’s “South American” fleshtones.

He’s not really part of my new plastic fantastic Goliath Gang as there feels to be a style mismatch but he’s in the “Legacy” collection I have and will probably be used for ORB/NCE games and the newbies for the N1X games.

I’m even developing some of my own mind-fluff (o_O) for my two Goliath Gangs.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Finished the first of my new Goliaths!! I’ve deliberately gone for a different colour scheme from the Legacy gangs Classic scheme.

But also because I’ve decided that I want my new Goliaths to be angry construction workers!! They are pretty much sculpted like that and have adapted work tools to weapons, so I’m carrying it over into their colour scheme, which is very much based one the hi-vis gear you see workers in; or at least the ones I see about are dressed in.

So here is finished New Goliath #1: “DeWalt”
Back view:

Pretty happy with him, now to finish off the other 11. :coffee:

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Love the dude with the giant axe. Very much the definitive Goliath! Give him bulging biceps (which he definitely has) and then he can use his pistol too. Looking forward to seeing him painted.
Thanks!! He’s been great fun to assemble, I went looking for a suitable body earlier in the year and I’m glad I found this one, he’s pretty much perfect scale to be a big Goliath!

Thanks for the tip! I loved the look of the axe so decided to keep it.

Can’t wait to get some paint on him too - though just got to wait until I get a day that’s not wet so I can get my models sprayed!

Great design and paint, can't wait to see more.
I’ll have to crack on! I’m already behind my own schedule on them!!

I see his pistol is in Dewalt colors as well!
Glad you noticed that! I have a theme in mind... ;)

Reactions: Punktaku