Mutie Strategy/Tactics

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
I reckon a good way to balance it off is to maybe play one 'campaign' game per meeting and one 'no consequences' game, both using the same list. That way people can develop their mobs as they please but can also throw down when the situation requires it. Has anyone ever played in a similar setup?
In my experience games go on long enough that trying to fit two into a session would either make it feel rushed or drag things on long enough to stop being fun :/ Less of an issue if one plays often enough that everyone knows the rules perfectly but by that time the two-game setup wouldn't be needed any more.

Two games back to back can easily run to over four hours, sadly.

It's a good way of playtesting though if you've got the time for it. We did our best to play test with mobs that no one owned so that we wouldn't feel bound by someone's "original vision" for a mob. Tork's Testers were rather handy for that!

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
In my experience games go on long enough that trying to fit two into a session would either make it feel rushed or drag things on long enough to stop being fun :/

Two games back to back can easily run to over four hours, sadly.

!
One of the sad things about being a grown up.... no more all-weekend gaming marathons. I used to play a lot of rpgs back in the day. But nowadays with jobs/kids/life it's just impossible to get a regular group of players together often enough to get a campaign going. They are just too involved. A skirmish mini game has a bit of a storytelling/role-playing element to it and you only need a couple of players a session. If only 4 of the 6 guys in the campaign can show up on any particular Sunday afternoon, no problem.

Oh, and nice Muties! Those Seekers make great mounts!

Reactions: Aulenback
Mar 23, 2012
Wagga Wagga, NSW
Thanks for the kind words guys, if only I could get them painted :p

ineptmule, I like the look of yours, I wish I could ged a more robed appearance on mine.

As for Unks, I find them difficult to find a niche for, they're strong and tough, yes, but without 2 attacks I think I'd have a hard time trusting them in melee. Ideally I'd use them as close range shooters, give them an arqueba and some krak grenades/obliviator and they'd be able to reliably get in close undamaged. But then they have no access to shooty skills so I've always leant towards Snagas as a default.

As for finding game time, I feel your pain. I'm basing two games per session of my mordheim experience, forgetting how much longer it all takes when you add vehicles and all the associated dice rolling. It surprised me when I first played GoMo, how long it all took.

Reactions: Ben_S
Aug 1, 2015
I find myself also looking up mutie tactics in before collecting the actual models for a mutie gang. Especially seeing these great mutie conversions. My own reading of the rules have given me a few tactical idea:

a) long range sniping with arbalasts which isn't my style and probably won't win me many friends with the ork players I know
b) close range hit and run with as many arquebas as I can get on vulnerable targets with demilunes to protect against being swarmed in close combat. Just thinking of the s5 hits making short work of ork vehicles and forcing them to bite the dust while my muties ride away. This sounds like fun to me but it's all just fantasy dream tactics that I have no idea how well they'll actually work.

Based on my ork only games of gorkamorka (against an admittedly small range of players) I can see my muties being vulnerable to being both swarmed by superior numbers and facing some close combat monsters

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
I'm finding something very similar with my Biker Mob.

1 on 1 they are fine, but as soon as a Trukk load of Boyz comes within 16" of them, they get swarmed and the ... scrap kicked out of em.

There must be a way around this, I just haven't found it, or played enough games with em yet.

= )

Reactions: Flamekebab