My foray back into 40K 8th Edition

scavvyjay

Gang Hero
Last edited by a moderator:

Narwhal King

Ganger
May 18, 2017
I've found that using Primaris Space Marines as normal marines in Inuisimunda work really well miniature wise. I'm currently building a Death Guard army, and using some stuff from Dark Vengeance to add to it.

Narwhal King

Ganger
May 18, 2017
I picked up Know No Fear today....first 40k set since 2nd ed....

Gonna scratch build my Repulsor Tank and im going SUPER OLD SKOOL with my converted Librarian...
I'm thinking of getting it. Is it a good way to start? Or should I just get the main starter set?

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I'm thinking of getting it. Is it a good way to start? Or should I just get the main starter set?
I shall resist the temptation, I shall resist the temptation, I shall resist... O:)

It was a really good surprise to see that GW seems to think about newcomers, making (more) affordable sets to get people playing. Smart. Amazing, even! What else to ask for as a beginner?

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous

Chaotic-good 2nd Company Captain
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
:LOL: Space Jehovahs
Don't worry about the guardsman, Iv met him, he now spends most his days sitting on the porch of a cabin he built, sipping home made lemonade and cradling his meltagun!
Great write up scavvyjay! :)

Reactions: spafe and scavvyjay

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
great write up dude. Really great to see another useful insight into how I need to learn to use my guard. Glad to see the russ is good, would you ocntinure taking the hell hound? (I've not used tanks yet, pure inf so want to think carefully before dumping my armour back into the list (as I think 4 russes, 4 chrimeras, a hell hound, 2 griffons and a bassie might be unfun for me enemy to face).

Didnt see much mention of orders... do you think its worth having the stormie officer with a unit or better use of points/power levels eselwhere?

scavvyjay

Gang Hero
great write up dude. Really great to see another useful insight into how I need to learn to use my guard. Glad to see the russ is good, would you ocntinure taking the hell hound? (I've not used tanks yet, pure inf so want to think carefully before dumping my armour back into the list (as I think 4 russes, 4 chrimeras, a hell hound, 2 griffons and a bassie might be unfun for me enemy to face).

Didnt see much mention of orders... do you think its worth having the stormie officer with a unit or better use of points/power levels eselwhere?
Thanks. The new 40K makes tanks very durable, and thus worth taking. I've had 7 games of the new version and i've yet to lose a Leman Russ. Admittedly they've been smallish battles but they have staying power. The Hellhound suffers more than most as I tend to drive it flat out to get the enemy in range of it's horrible flamer weapons. It also has the added bonus of blowing up on a 4+ by which time it's usually in my opponents face! I think if you fielded those tanks you wouldn't win any popularity awards. Also, I didn't use a Scion/Stormtrooper officer yet. Saving points by giving a vox to a unit near my commander might help, but it's still only an 18" range. I may use one next game as FRFSRF is awesome! Also the rerolling 1's to hit would save my plasma guns as well. The orders are very useful, but in the grim darkness of the gaming tables of 2017 I forget a few things when I'm excited.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
awesome report dude! I think the ratlings doing their mortal wounds might have been a better way to down the primarch. I'm in the middle of painting my squad of them up now to see how they fair.

Advancing is fun, but tends to lead to a high body count sadly...

Reactions: scavvyjay

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
A great write up dude! Shame about the lack of voxs though.

Do you prefer veterans to stormies or are they jsut the mdoels you have?

Also why melta guns i nthe missile units, would it not be better to swap them with hte plasma guns or is this model dependant too?

Reactions: scavvyjay

scavvyjay

Gang Hero
Thanks mate.

Yea the voxs were a mistake. A lot of the time i use a scion squad to drop on the backline and assasinate. They often have plasmas. I do like the vets as they get the catachan doctrine and you can have a heavy flamer in them. The melta missile launcher squad is merely because theyre painted. Im currently painting up a 3 melta plus heavy flamer squad of vets to wreak havoc. Also a flamer special weapon squad. Eventually i hope to get more plasmas for an extremely hard hitting vet squad. Needs to have an officer with them though to reroll 1s.

Reactions: ThreeDice and spafe