Drag to reposition cover

NCE NCE/OCE Rules help please

Draconic

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
Osborne Park WA 6017, Australia
Hi fellow Yakkers! I would love to draw on your vast experience with the NCE/OCE ruleset for questions my playgroup has asked. Im aware some of these questions may have been asked deep in threads but my searches haven't helped so far. So if your able to weigh in, share house rules, or point me to where i have missed something that would be great!

Q1. Disarm skill and a pit fighter? How does it work? considering they cant wield a knife. Im guessing it doesn't do anything?

Q2. Medic skill. It states if the model didn't go out of action. What if the model wasn't present in the fight? Example. We were doing a Package run. The medic wasn't in the selected group that was running the package. The opposing team scored a capture result for one of their fighters. They argued that their medic rocked up at the end to rescue the ganger with the re roll. Is this legit? Ie are the other gang members just sitting on the sideline and watching so to speak?

Q3. If a plasma gun explodes on high power do you still have to make the gets hot roll after also? (i assume so)

Q4. If a leader has an old battle wound that plays up how does that work if "The Hit" is selected

Q5. Can you roll up "Survived against the odds" with a "multiple injuries" result? It says all "full recovery" results must be rerolled. If you count it then its possible to get a leg wound (for example), and then a survived against the odds result which means that all injuries are fully recovered. If thats allowed what happens then? Does it basically recover all the other injuries?

Thx

Sump Thing

Juve
Dec 5, 2014
1. RAW is that the weapons can't be used if Disarm is sucsesful. Maybe the arms just get jammed but can still be used as a knife. The original Disarm destroyed a cc-weapon, and the original Pit Fighter gang didn't have fighters who were banned from knives.
2. Only the models that miss a game do of injuries can't use their special abilities. So, in your example the medic could try to save his friend.
3. Your assume is correct.
4. If that happens, the Mission of The Hit should be r-rolled. This was actually in the latest version of NCE, neat!
5. You can roll Survives against the odds with Multiple injuries. The text "recovers fully" just means that Surviving against the odds doesn't cause any additional injuries, just like in Impressive and Horrible scars. Any other permanent stat loss still counts.

Blood Donor

Executive Officer in Charge of the 2014 Bake Sale
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Aug 23, 2011
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
This post has a lot of links to discussions on the forum about NCE era stuff, so is a pretty good resource for checking questions against a pretty rudimentary database of local discussion topics. Only up until about 18+ months ago, so certainly not complete.

Draconic

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
1. RAW is that the weapons can't be used if Disarm is sucsesful. Maybe the arms just get jammed but can still be used as a knife. The original Disarm destroyed a cc-weapon, and the original Pit Fighter gang didn't have fighters who were banned from knives.
2. Only the models that miss a game do of injuries can't use their special abilities. So, in your example the medic could try to save his friend.
3. Your assume is correct.
4. If that happens, the Mission of The Hit should be r-rolled. This was actually in the latest version of NCE, neat!
5. You can roll Survives against the odds with Multiple injuries. The text "recovers fully" just means that Surviving against the odds doesn't cause any additional injuries, just like in Impressive and Horrible scars. Any other permanent stat loss still counts.
Thanks Sump Thing. Can i ask where in the rulebook it says to reroll? Cheers Blood donor ill have a look see (y)

Reactions: Blood Donor

Sump Thing

Juve
Dec 5, 2014
It's on page 113 of the NCE. Right in the mission description of Hit and Run:

Bushwack: The raiders try to gun down the opposing Gang Leader. They win if the Gang Leader is taken out of action. If the Gang Leader is unable to take part in the game, such as due to an Old Battle Wound, then re-roll this result.

Draconic

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
It's on page 113 of the NCE. Right in the mission description of Hit and Run:

Bushwack: The raiders try to gun down the opposing Gang Leader. They win if the Gang Leader is taken out of action. If the Gang Leader is unable to take part in the game, such as due to an Old Battle Wound, then re-roll this result.
Oh I meant “the Hit” scenario is OCE not “hit and run” sorry.

Sump Thing

Juve
Dec 5, 2014
Well, that's a tricky one, as the absence of the defending side's leader makes the deployment next to impossible. Do what ever you agree with your gaming buddies. Probably reroll the scenario and the leader is still on sick leave.

Reactions: Draconic

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Bellingham, Washington USA
If you are setting up a hit he can't not be there... you've been following him!

I'd say for each old battle wound roll failure that leader takes a wound no saves. Of this drops them to zero they have to start on the ground in the deployment zone (or a reasonably safe easily accessible level if the sludge has risen). The leader is seriously injured to start the game.

Draconic

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
New one for you Gurus! We have a new Scavvy player who has asked this question. If he chooses to pay $10 for plagues zombies does he do this before the scenario is decided or after? If before can he decide to not bring them along or must he bring them regardless of if he wants them in that particular scenario?

Draconic

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
I’ll reword, not sure what you mean mate. He wants to know if he has to commit to the zombie purchase before scenario is rolled. Or does he get the option of paying for them after he knows what he’s going into?

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Good point on The Hit. Will add to list for next update. Will simply add the same wording as the Hit & Run scenario.

Will also add to the main cc rules that any model with no close combat weapon counts as being equipped with a single knife, which will fix the pit slave thing. Note, that the disarmed weapon would not count as a knife if the pit slave also has a pistol, or another pit slave weapon.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I’ll reword, not sure what you mean mate. He wants to know if he has to commit to the zombie purchase before scenario is rolled. Or does he get the option of paying for them after he knows what he’s going into?
I would treat them the same as recruiting new gang members or hiring hired guns (that's kinda what they are - crap hired guns). This takes place in the post battle sequence of the last game, which happens before the next scenario is chosen.

I'm fairly sure there's a sentence to that effect somewhere, but damned if I can find it at the moment.

Post battle sequence, no. 4, NCE page 109:
Recruit new fighters, buy/sell/reallocate weapons and equipment and pay hired guns as described in the Trading Post section.

It doesn't matter whether you consider the zombies to be temporary fighters or hired guns, they're still recruited before the scenario is chosen, which is step 1 of the next game's pre-battle sequence.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
RAW they are purchased as a normal fighter but that causes issues in games where random fighters or less than a full gang are used (e.g. shootout) so may be worth amending them slightly. Possibly adding "if they are not used in a game, they may be saved until needed" or similar? This was fixed in the LRB version by purchasing "bait" instead of zombies, which could be used after the scenario was chosen, but has regressed slightly in the NCE version.

EDIT: RAI I would think they should be paid for after the scenario is chosen as evidenced by:

"Scavvy gang can 'buy' Plague Zombies for a game, the cost representing bits of food used to lure them. If the 10 credits is paid then D6 Zombies come along to fight. Note the gang cannot pay more than 10 credits otherwise they risk being overrun themselves! The Zombies are under the control of the Scavvy player for the entire game, but scatter back to their wandering existence after the fight."

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoof and Draconic

Draconic

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
I would treat them the same as recruiting new gang members or hiring hired guns (that's kinda what they are - crap hired guns). This takes place in the post battle sequence of the last game, which happens before the next scenario is chosen.

I'm fairly sure there's a sentence to that effect somewhere, but damned if I can find it at the moment.

Post battle sequence, no. 4, NCE page 109:
Recruit new fighters, buy/sell/reallocate weapons and equipment and pay hired guns as described in the Trading Post section.

It doesn't matter whether you consider the zombies to be temporary fighters or hired guns, they're still recruited before the scenario is chosen, which is step 1 of the next game's pre-battle sequence.
Cheers Stoof! One of our players did believe it should be that way also. Good to get clarification