Necro zombie rules in a "modern" setting??

Necroplayer

Ganger
Oct 14, 2012
Kentwood, LA, USA
With the popularity of zombies and the like, I was wondering has anyone tried using the Necromunda rules in a "modern" setting? I know the rules for lasguns, power weapons, etc., wouldn't be used but auto-guns, etc., would.
I'm thinking about giving this a try since Necromunda is my favorite rules-set and has proven that it can be adapted to many different settings.

Necroplayer

Ganger
Oct 14, 2012
Kentwood, LA, USA
After looking over in the vault, it seems we have all the rules that would be needed. Love those vehicle rules! Now to find a nice step-side pickup truck model to make a survivors ride!

Last edited:

KRVSH

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2015
Hamburg
After looking over in the vault, it seems we have all the rules that would be needed. Love those vehicle rules! Now to find a nice step-side pickup truck model to make a survivors ride!
At least we're pretty close. That's the beauty of it. Don't know if you've read the zombie thread already, but we've already gathered very specific ideas for modern zombie mechanics.

Necroplayer

Ganger
Oct 14, 2012
Kentwood, LA, USA
At least we're pretty close. That's the beauty of it. Don't know if you've read the zombie thread already, but we've already gathered very specific ideas for modern zombie mechanics.

I sure have! It was a very good read. Has anyone used any of these ideas in there games yet?

KRVSH

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2015
Hamburg
I sure have! It was a very good read. Has anyone used any of these ideas in there games yet?
Not that I know of, but you're right that testing out rules and ideas is the next step, I think. We just have got to see how that works out, then maybe fine tuning and then a next task. I would have done it, at least on my own, if there wasn't as much trouble. But since things are starting to look better, I've got hopes to get something done soon.

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
chicagoskirmishwargames.com
Ok it was here. There is also mention of games being played at Chicago Skirmish Wargames, which local Yak @Eilif is a member of.
We've not ported necromunda to modern settings at this point. I love me some Necro, but there are other rulesets that I think might work better for that, especially if you are going to use vehicles and don't want the pace to bog down. We've had very good luck with Nuclear Renaissance which has alot of similarities to Necro/Gorka. It's amied at post-apoc, but we've found that it ports to modern Zombie games really well and the vehicle rules are quite easy to use. Like most games with a unit creation mechanic it is easy to "break" the system, but if you've got honest players or a good GM, the results can be great.

As for a pickup model, I highly recommend the various 1/43 die-cast toys out there. I've got a modern F150 that I got at Menards (they have a ton of good die-cast right now) that I think might be a New-Ray toy and an old-school GMC who'se origin escapes me. It migth be a Yat Ming "Road Signature" but alot of these brands get put in boxes with store brand names on them.

Lots of 1/43 and 1/48 die-cast covnersions and weathering examples on the blog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
In Memorium
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
yaktribe.games
...I love me some Necro, but there are other rulesets that I think might work better for that, especially if you are going to use vehicles and don't want the pace to bog down...

Have you had a look at the Streamlined Necromunda Vehicle Rules? Very much pushing my own wares with the suggestion, but they were designed with complete focus around getting vehicle rules that weren't painstakingly complex to function alongside the Necromunda core mechanics. But yes, as there are many other offerings specific to a modern zombie apocalyptic setting, rules based on Necro are really only beneficial if you are either trying to familiarize players to the Necro mechanics (Oh, you had fun killing zombies? Let's play as Underhive gangsters using the same rules but with some fleshed out details!) or to bring zombie apocalypse action into the Underhive. The latter already exists, so developing new rules for zombie hoards would be on the basis of wanting something different than the current offering. Which describes my personal take on it pretty accurately.

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
chicagoskirmishwargames.com
Have you had a look at the Streamlined Necromunda Vehicle Rules? Very much pushing my own wares with the suggestion, but they were designed with complete focus around getting vehicle rules that weren't painstakingly complex to function alongside the Necromunda core mechanics. But yes, as there are many other offerings specific to a modern zombie apocalyptic setting, rules based on Necro are really only beneficial if you are either trying to familiarize players to the Necro mechanics (Oh, you had fun killing zombies? Let's play as Underhive gangsters using the same rules but with some fleshed out details!) or to bring zombie apocalypse action into the Underhive. The latter already exists, so developing new rules for zombie hoards would be on the basis of wanting something different than the current offering. Which describes my personal take on it pretty accurately.

I hadn't seen those. I'll stick with Nuclear Renaisance for post apoc and zombies, but it strikes me that if I ever get to play Inquisimunda then vehicles (and rules to go with them) would be essential and your rules could be just the thing. It only took me 20 years of gaming to finally play Necromunda. Hopefully it won't be so long before I do Inquisumunda!