Not open for further replies.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
This will be a work-in-progress collating various questions & answers to clarify the inevitable vagaries of rules in Neomunda. Though replying will be open, eventually replies will be purged to keep this thread focused and promote discussion of rules elsewhere. Entries will also find their way here by virtue of existing discussions and the community prompting for a rules clarification to be added here.

Q. There are discrepancies for some rules, stats and costs between the Underhive rule book and the Gang War supplement, which one is correct?
A. If you are playing the Gang War advanced campaign rules, any entries in this book override the equivalent entry in the base rule book. Prices for gang members and equipment is intended to differ due to the one-off games vs campaigns.

Q. In Gangs of Legend PDF, the Flail weapon has an Entangle trait, where are the rules for this?
A. [Confirmed] This Trait description was added in Gang War 2.
Hits scored by weapons with the Entangle trait cannot be negated by the Parry trait. In addition, if the hit roll for an Entangle weapon is a natural 6, any reaction attacks made by the target have an additional -2 modifier.
Q. Do Grenades count towards the 3 weapon limit for Gang War?
A. Though listed as weapons everywhere else, cards and goliath/escher gang pages show grenades as wargear. Grenades do not count towards the 3 weapon limit.

Q. If I charge an enemy and end up within 1" but not in base contact, am I still Engaged?
A. [Confirmed] A Charge (Double) Action is a Standard Move +D3" that permits you to come within 1" of an enemy. You MUST be in base-to-base contact to be Engaged. If you do not reach the target in base contact, you must position your model 1" away as your Charge action has failed.

Q. Do I need to declare a target for my Charge action?
A. [Unconfirmed] Moving your ganger for any kind of move action, including a Charge, requires measuring to the target. Once you have measured your desired move/charge action, you are committed to that action and must follow that line. This means you cannot move elsewhere once you've discovered you did not reach base contact with your intended target.

Q. If I have Fast Shot and 2 pistols, can I fire them both twice? What if I had Gunfighter as well?
A. Yes, with rules as written you are able to fire each pistol twice, at the usual -1 for each shot for firing 2 pistols. If you had Gunfighter skill, you could then fire each pistol twice with no penalty. Note that Twin Guns Blazing rule for using 2 pistols states you must fire at the same target, with that limitation removed if using Gunfighter as well.

Q. Scare Grenades have a Fear Trait but it doesn't seem to be in the Trait rules anywhere?
A. [Confirmed] The Fear trait was added in Gang War 2.
Instead of making an injury roll for an attack with the Fear trait, the opposing player makes a Nerve test for the target, subtracting 2 from the result. If the test fails, the target is immediately Broken and runs for cover.
Q. How does the Mighty Leap skill work? It doesn't seem to offer any benefit.
A. [Unconfirmed] As written, the skill doesn't make any sense as to any benefit above the standard leap rules. Likely the intention is for the leap up to the model's Movement in inches is meant to be a bonus during a Move action.

Q. The Club, Maul, Hammer and the Stub Cannon are missing their rules in Underhive & Gang War
A. These were found in the Gangs of Legacy PDF

Q. When using Pistols in Close Combat, do you use WS or BS? What about the Acc bonus?
A. You always use WS for close combat rolls and you do not get the Accuracy bonus (if any). Note that you can only roll 1 attack dice for pistols in close combat, any other attack dice must alternate between another melee weapon or unarmed.

Q. When using Pistols in combat, how many attacks do I get with the pistols if I have X attack dice?
A. Each pistol only gets 1 attack dice allocated to it. All remaining attack dice are made using your offhand weapon, or in the case of using 2 pistols, unarmed attacks. So with 2 pistols and 4 attack dice, 1 from the first pistol, 1 from the second then 2 unarmed attacks.

Q. The Ambush scenario reputation rules don't seem to award reputation correctly. Is this a misprint?
A. [Unconfirmed] We're in general consensus that the reputation wording isn't right and should probably read "I think it should read: If more Defenders escape then go out of action the the Defenders gain 2 Reputation. If more Defenders go out of action then escape, the Attacker gains 1 Reputation."

Q. The Retreat action contains two rules for movement, which is correct? Or are they both? And what if the initiative test fails?
A. [Unconfirmed] The second rule regarding movement is in addition to the first, so a ganger doing a Retreat Action can move d6" as a Standard Move, cannot come within 1" of other gangers during this move, and their own Movement characteristic is ignored. If the Initiative test is failed, the ganger cannot move. If the ganger performing the Retreat action is Engaged when doing so, each enemy ganger Engaged can make the Initiative check to make Reaction attacks which are resolved before movement.

Q. Does equipment in my stash count towards Gang Rating (Cost)? What about Loadouts?
A. According to GW pg.14 Gang Rating, this is calculated from the total cost of all fighters, which as written excludes any equipment purchased but left in the stash. Alternate Loadouts on Leaders and Champions are not counted towards the total gang cost, but the highest of the loadouts for a fighter is used. For example, if a Leader has 3 loadouts, their current one 185cr and their inactive loadout 195cr, their cost for calculating gang rating is 195cr.

Q. Can my gang members swap their equipment back and forth to the stash?
A. [Confirmed] The "designers note" (really?) on GW pg.25 indicates that once equipment has been assigned to a fighter, they cannot return it to the stash unless they are dead or retired. This has since been clarified by GW that Leaders, Champions AND Juves can return equipment to the stash and take other equipment. This would be performed under the Part 5, Section D stage of post-battle no GW pg.25, Distribute Equipment.

Q. Melta and Rending Trait descriptions are missing?

A. [Confirmed] Melta Trait was added in Gang War 2 and Rending added in White Dwarf March 2018 with the GSC rules.
Melta - If the target is within short range of this weapon, no injury roll is made - instead the target automatically goes Out of Action.
Rending - If the roll to wound with a Rending weapon is a natural 6 the attack causes 1 extra point of damage.

Last edited:

Kileeath

Nov 26, 2017
Is it just me or is the Mighty Leap skill completely useless the way it is worded? It doesn't appear to offer any benefit but incurs a -1 to the Initiative test when the leap is over half their movement. Just a typo and should read "that are wider than" instead of "that are no wider than"?

Mr_Rose

Ganger
Feb 19, 2016
London
Since the normal maximum is M-2×{base width} I’d say it lets you ignore the restriction about landing fully on the other side for now but it definitely needs clarification. Maybe it’s also meant to allow you to make leaps up or down equal to your M instead of 2" at most?

On the topic of skillz, it’s fairly obvious to me that it is so, but can we assume that a model with Fast Shot and two pistols can fire both as part of each of their (simple) Shoot actions?

Hagbard

Juve
Nov 22, 2017
Sweden
Hi are the Cool,Will and Int stats new to the 2017 edition? I could not find them on the online tool or any downloadble rosters.

How much of the game sequence explained in the 2017 rulebook carry over to Gang War? Like is it still alternating activation or "i go you go" like old Necromunda?

Trafalgar Law

Gang Hero
Mar 14, 2017
Chorley, Lancashire, UK
Those are completely new stats. Cool seems pretty important. Less sure about the other two.

All the main rules carry over except the line of sight rules, Gang War uses true line of sight. Other changes are different prices for wargear and gang members and you only get 1000cr for your starting gang instead of 1500cr.

Hagbard

Juve
Nov 22, 2017
Sweden
Those are completely new stats. Cool seems pretty important. Less sure about the other two.

All the main rules carry over except the line of sight rules, Gang War uses true line of sight. Other changes are different prices for wargear and gang members and you only get 1000cr for your starting gang instead of 1500cr.
Thanks. I hope the rules get combined into one place, flipping back and forth is annoying.
I'm curious to see how Tactics card play out since everyone gets their own decks and gang exclusive cards....

Geekchef

Juve
Nov 26, 2017
Everett WA USA
Do I use the prices given in the main rule book or in gang war?

This little bit of inconsistency is going to cause more then a few headaches, I can tell you...

Kambuk

Ganger
Apr 6, 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
Do I use the prices given in the main rule book or in gang war?

This little bit of inconsistency is going to cause more then a few headaches, I can tell you...
Costs are different if you are playing a campaign vs playing a skirmish.
i.e. main rulebook has frag grenades at 15 for Goliaths and Gang War has them at 30 for Goliaths.
If it's a one off battle use Main rule book prices if it's a campaign use Gang War.

Kambuk

Reactions: TrexPushups

The Castle

Heavy
Staff member
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA
On the topic of skillz, it’s fairly obvious to me that it is so, but can we assume that a model with Fast Shot and two pistols can fire both as part of each of their (simple) Shoot actions?
that's a fair assessment. i would say both shoot actions would have to be at -1 for using two guns.

Tyr13

Juve
Oct 4, 2013
Well, you wouldnt take the gunfighter skill because not a single Escher has access to shooting skills as their primary or secondary, for instance... meaning your only option would be the most expensive advance, which gives you a random roll... not great. :/
(anyone else annoyed by that? I mean, Goliaths dont exactly seem like the shooty sort either...)

Mr_Rose

Ganger
Feb 19, 2016
London
There are more gangs than just Escher and Goliath though. Van Saar and Delaque would be easiest of course, but Orlock could do it without getting too ridiculous.

Talking of the big expensive skill roll, does anyone else feel like that bracket should also include the option of picking a secondary skill? Like how 9XP is a chosen primary or random secondary, shouldn’t 15XP allow a chosen secondary or a random tertiary?
Not really a FAQ but it seems like an odd discrepancy…

necrobot

Ganger
Tribe Council
Mar 14, 2012
There's lots of weird inconsistencies in the legacy rules that will probably need to be fixed.

bolt gun is only damage 1, bolt pistol is damage 2 and the escher needle/bolt gun is also damage 2
two-handed weapon is really weird. Costs 20 points, -1 to hit, -1 AP, 1 damage, at strength, unwieldy. Compare to knife, cost 15 points, no to hit modifier, -1 AP, 1 damage, at strength, backstab.
flail has entangle rule, but there is no entangle rule
sword looks like it's the same weapon profile as chainsword from gor's profile on forgeworld
Autopistol has rapid fire, bolt pistol does not. But both autogun and bolt gun have rapid fire
heavy stubber, maybe they meant to do it like this, but is ridiculously expensive. Costs 130 points vs. 55 points for bolt gun, but only adds longer range w/ downside of unwieldy

Reactions: Thorgor

necrobot

Ganger
Tribe Council
Mar 14, 2012
Question on charging/engaging and close combat. Rules state that a model can do a standard move + D3", and if they move within 1" of an enemy model, they must move into base-to-base contact. Does that mean as long as a charging model gets within 1" of an enemy model, they are engaged and the attacker is moved within base-to-base, essentially extending the charge range by 1"?

And then on weapons with two profiles like shotgun or grenade launcher. If I fail an ammo roll for one of the weapon profiles, does that mean I have to reload to fire the other ammo type? Shotgun for example, if I fire scatter shot and fail ammo roll, can I fire solid shot without reload? I would assume the weapon needs to be reloaded, and it's not like combi weapon where you can fire one of the weapons even if the other is ammo-failed.

zethliss

Aug 2, 2014
Quick question that I spotted earlier on a brief starting read of the rules.
Retreat in my copy has two 'If you pass' statements that are very similar but slightly different.
One appears to say you move d6 inches away, the 2nd says you may a normal move of up to d6 inches (which can be above base movement) but your attackers can try to get a hit in as you do so.

Any idea which is correct or is the 2nd an expansion of the first?

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
Question on charging/engaging and close combat. Rules state that a model can do a standard move + D3", and if they move within 1" of an enemy model, they must move into base-to-base contact. Does that mean as long as a charging model gets within 1" of an enemy model, they are engaged and the attacker is moved within base-to-base, essentially extending the charge range by 1"?
That's how I interpreted the rule. You basically get a free 1". I believe the rule is there to prevent you from running past combatants in close quarters, that you're so close you're basically in close combat. Remember you can never pre-measure though!

And then on weapons with two profiles like shotgun or grenade launcher. If I fail an ammo roll for one of the weapon profiles, does that mean I have to reload to fire the other ammo type? Shotgun for example, if I fire scatter shot and fail ammo roll, can I fire solid shot without reload? I would assume the weapon needs to be reloaded, and it's not like combi weapon where you can fire one of the weapons even if the other is ammo-failed.
pg 57 of Necromunda: Underhive, The Firepower Dice
If the weapon has more than one profile (for example, shotguns have two types of ammunition), none of them can be used until the weapon is reloaded.

TrexPushups

Ganger
Apr 20, 2017
Memphis TN
That's how I interpreted the rule. You basically get a free 1". I believe the rule is there to prevent you from running past combatants in close quarters, that you're so close you're basically in close combat. Remember you can never pre-measure though!

pg 57 of Necromunda: Underhive, The Firepower Dice
Don’t forget that combi weapons have their own rule that works differently than this.

Limited ammos have thief own rule too.

Status
Not open for further replies.