Suggestion Necromunda ally profile editing

Apr 20, 2019
Currently it does not appear to be possible to edit the profiles of Ally models. For instance, a player in my campaign is allied to a Fallen House, but he can't edit the Rebel Lord to have the gear and skills he wants (https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/[lp2021]_rad_army.207199/).

It would be nice if we could edit their profile in the same manner as a normal gang fighter. Especially because that would allow us to give them a value, as some campaigns do by house rule (Goonhammer suggests values for some).

Also regarding Fallen Houses, the Lady Credo Forge World model provides her with rules that allows her to be used specifically in place of a default Rebel Lord if desired. Would be nice if there were some way to pick her as the Ally Representative.

Reactions: trollmeat

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
Is it because the right gear and skills isn't available or he wants a custom version?

Currently the allies are preconfigured and attached to the gang since that's how they're done in the book. They're not regular fighters that you necessarily have control over or are persistent in any way. It also means the tools aren't creating multiple new fighters every time you include them, which you would have to delete.

Does the custom ganger functions allow you enough to create what you need?

Reactions: LeperColony
Apr 20, 2019
Is it because the right gear and skills isn't available or he wants a custom version?

Currently the allies are preconfigured and attached to the gang since that's how they're done in the book. They're not regular fighters that you necessarily have control over or are persistent in any way. It also means the tools aren't creating multiple new fighters every time you include them, which you would have to delete.

Does the custom ganger functions allow you enough to create what you need?
There are actually a couple of rules issues with the profile, and then a couple of desirable options.

First, the rules issues. There's actually two profiles for Rebel Lords (not counting Lady Credo). One in the Book of Iron, the other in the Book of Judgment. I don't know if one takes priority over the other, but even if that is true, neither of the profiles match what Yaktribe provides.

The Book of Iron RL has 2x Digi Lasers and then choices:
Power Sword or Stiletto Sword or Thunder Hammer
Bolt Pistol or master-crafted needle pistol
Mesh armor
Displacer Field or Refractor Field

Book of Judgment RL has 4x Digi Lasers and choices:
2x Master-crafted laspistols and a Stiletto Sword OR Bolt Pistol and Thunder Hammer
Light Carapace
Displacer Field or Refractor Field.

Yaktribe's Rebel Lord has all of the following, no combination of which is possible under either rules:

Stiletto Sword
Laspistol (not master-crafted)
Bolt Pistol
4x Digi-Laser
Thunder Hammer

Notably, no armor and no fields either.

Additionally, under either rules set, the Rebel Lord can choose skills. The Yaktribe version has no skills. Even if it could be said that the current version lists all the weapons and you can just remember which matter (which in fact it doesn't list all the options), that's not really viable for skills.

Then, there's Lady Credo, who I linked above, who is also an option.

Now that the rules issues are covered, there's also customization. Clearly some kind of editing has to be possible because no matter what legal selections you take, you do have to decide to take some things rather than others.

But also, and I can't speak for everyone, I feel that adding credit values to the allied fighters is pretty common in campaigns where allies are used. Making it so the fighter can be edited would also make that possible.

Finally, thematically, being able to edit it allows you to name your ally, rather than just "Rebel Lord." Admittedly very minor point, but still, another strength to making them editable.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019
Sorry for the double post, but this seemed worth mentioning.

Could I just make a custom fighter as you suggest? Sure. But that only fixes it for me (and prevents me from using the cool ally representative feature you guys put the time in to coding). If the fighters were made editable, then it would fix it for everyone.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
I'll get the missing armor etc fixed.

Regarding making them editable, that's simply not possible with how they're currently implemented. The only way to achieve that would be to have each of the different guild fighter types available as a hired gun/hanger on type. So if there's 5 members of a guild retinue then 5 separate fighters would need to be added and setup.

I guess it's possible to have both but I don't see why the user can't just create custom fighters in the rare case they want something different than default guild members.

Apr 20, 2019
I'll get the missing armor etc fixed.

Regarding making them editable, that's simply not possible with how they're currently implemented. The only way to achieve that would be to have each of the different guild fighter types available as a hired gun/hanger on type. So if there's 5 members of a guild retinue then 5 separate fighters would need to be added and setup.

I guess it's possible to have both but I don't see why the user can't just create custom fighters in the rare case they want something different than default guild members.

I mean, I realize your bandwidth on these issues is limited, so if you just want to have people rely on the custom fighter option that's fine.

But, as I pointed out, the actual Rebel Lord profile doesn't match any of the configurations under the rules. And, it can't be said it's just listing every option because that's not true either.

It's actually at the point where the listing is of dubious value for almost any purpose other than the statline. Now I realize "just don't use it" is valid, but the idea is pretty cool. I mentioned over PM being willing to help with any sort of data entry (I can't code, sadly), so if it's more a matter of time and priorities, please let me know if I can be useful.

Apr 20, 2019
I mean, I realize your bandwidth on these issues is limited, so if you just want to have people rely on the custom fighter option that's fine.

But, as I pointed out, the actual Rebel Lord profile doesn't match any of the configurations under the rules. And, it can't be said it's just listing every option because that's not true either.

It's actually at the point where the listing is of dubious value for almost any purpose other than the statline. Now I realize "just don't use it" is valid, but the idea behind the feature that allows alliance representatives is pretty cool. I mentioned over PM being willing to help with any sort of data entry (I can't code, sadly), so if it's more a matter of time and priorities, please let me know if I can be useful.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
My points are for when the entry is fixed. If the Rebel Lord contains the options necessary then it suits the needs of the majority, right?

Apr 20, 2019
Well, I presume you're not going to list all 18 skills they could potentially have, and I don't know how (and whether) you intend to reflect that some lords should have 2 digi lasers and some 4, some mesh and some carapace, and the fact that not all the weapon options are available to both lords (the Book of Iron vs Book of Judgment, not even counting Lady Credo).

But if you are just talking about listing weapons, then yes.

I do not know if BoI RL has priority over BoJ RL, and I know of no rule that says so. But if you wanted to consider one over another, I suppose the BoI options would be the better choice since they're the later set.