Necromunda and Gorka Plog and future plans

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
Greyscaling is a technique for quickly painting, involving mostly inks. Check Cardyfreaks' tutorials post. Basically its spray black, drybrush white, ink until satisfied. The drybrushing provides you with shade, the inking (in layers) give it color.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
ooo, thats marvelous.... Thanks for the link and guides!

As I was unaware, I wasn't greyscaling... although will be given it a go when I get to my stormtroopers. I'm painting all areas, then given them a heavy wash to add shading, then using a matt spray to take some shine off (the wash is an old one that makes them look a bit glossy), then doing tiny details and highlighting, plus anything that I need to be 'clean' such as the white eagle on shoulderpad. This guy I made the mistake of highlighting before wash, so need to matt spray him then might re-highlight, but will see how diffferent he is to others before I decide.

Hope that makes sense.

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
My update for the weekend, I have managed to get 10 more cadians done, and start the next batch of 10, leaving anotehr 13 waiting to be sprayed, and their crew served weapons half done. In more interesting news (for you guys anyway) I've got soem wip shots of my bounty hunter for the competition. The first two were taken on sat, and the second two were taking on monday. So far thats about an 45 mins on each day, hoping one more 45 min session will be enough to have him finished. Any way, enough chat, heres the pics:

med_gallery_33656_9424_305555.jpg
med_gallery_33656_9424_1811.jpg

med_gallery_33656_9424_251971.jpg
med_gallery_33656_9424_147179.jpg

Its not really come up here, but I have tried wet blending on the loin cloth. will try to get better pics for the next entry.

I'm also trying to decide what colour his bolt pistol should be... any suggestions?

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
Whenever I'm faced with that question, I always answer red. Because I'm boring... and because I'm pretty good at red. I have an issue with most other colours but Red, I have nailed. Not too bad with Yellow ... Blue really gives me trouble, so Green's can be a bit of a bother.

... Don't even get me started on purple.

Edit: I meant to put something nice about your wip shots here... but I forgot (up all night).

Awesome. I love Elvis. Nice crack at the Y/B bolter freehand. I didn't notice it was a little wonky 'til I zoomed a bit.

You could try pencil lining the initial lines, or cutting thin grooves into the bolter as guidelines (sharp H pencil on white undercoat works for me atm, i'm lazy with the knife). I've found that having the lines helps me immensely.

Last edited:

Bjecki

Gang Champion
Feb 20, 2014
Morwell VIC 3840
Looking good spafe and well done on getting a bunch of cadians done. Do you post your non Necro stuff somewhere? Would love to see your other stuff too :)

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
This is the only wip (only wip as I need to matt them down a bit, then static grass the base) I bothered posting for my cadians as they all came out quite blurry:
med_gallery_33656_9593_262423.jpg

you can see the next batch in the background (with jsut the green armour started), some scavies to the right (not done anything with them yet), a couple of the crew served weps even further to the right..., some wip goliaths hiding to the left behind the paint pots (doding the draft), and the realy bright splodge of colour in the top left is some old school empire greatswords who are awaiting a repaint...

thats a good idea beard, although it would require me to have soem forthought over how I was going to paint the model (rather than half of it being decided by what colour is closest to grab lol). I will try the penciling stuff in though next time, as that should be easy over a black undercoat :)

Also any vote on if his hair should stay black, or should I go with brown, ginger, red, hazard stripes....?

djmothra

Magister Competere
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jan 6, 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, VietNam
Keep his hair black but put a small white streak in it!

...and aren't those figs Mordian Iron Guard? So, yeah, do the gun red the same as those guys!

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Done! I had forgotten to look at the old school gw painted one for inspiration!

They are.... I needed a way of showing my company command were important, so they are allowed to wear dress uniform (as are the mortars as they shouldnt be near the enemy anyway :p).

I think thats 2 votes for red pistol. While the vote will stay open until I find time to get some more painting done, I think it's currently strongly looking to be a red bolt pistol!

Bjecki

Gang Champion
Feb 20, 2014
Morwell VIC 3840
Nice @spafe that is quite a bunch of mini's you have on the go. Do you ever find you sit down and get overwhelmed with how much there is to do? I can't have more than a few mini's on the painting station at a time, lol.

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
djmothra, they do fit the whole hard-ass in charge look so well dont they! got any pics of your guard?

Cheers si, any idea for pistol colour or you in agreement for red?

bjecki, not really. I get that some folk do, but since I leave our painted stuff to, it lets me see the progress as more and more of that group/regiment/unit/etc get completed, otherwise I get disheartened as all I seem to be doing is painting some models, putting them away, getting some more out, and without seeing the overall army looking more complete it feels like I get no where. Each to their own I guess.

Also my gf's high elf army is just across the table and seeing as I havent managed to find a cheap case for them yet, they havent got anywhere to go so will always have a lot of models out atm...

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
exactly that!

Does anyone have the cities of death sets btw? I'm after the dimensions of a typical wall panel (and a floor one if you'd be so kind) for a plan I have to create a crawler for the ash wastes...

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
~shakes head~

Sorry Bud. I don't know what they are, so the chances of me having them are slim, to say the least...

... But they sound interesting. Would you consider explaining to me what they are? They sound remarkably relevant to something that I'm working on. ;)

RobStrachan

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Nov 4, 2013
Tokyo
exactly that!

Does anyone have the cities of death sets btw? I'm after the dimensions of a typical wall panel (and a floor one if you'd be so kind) for a plan I have to create a crawler for the ash wastes...
Let me get home and I will tell you. IIRC they are all funny lengths.

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I'll put my current plans up here in a sec, I'm just gathering pics to upload in a sensible fashion.

Rob, That'd be ace mate, google has shown that the necro ones are 71mm squares (plus tab at top which i'm not too worried about atm), so if you could provide them it'd be most useful as I can then upgrede my paint sketch into an actual dimensioned drawing :) )

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Okay, please excuse the double post.

I am at very early stages (planning if you will) for an ash wastes crawler for a redemptionist cult. The idea behind this would be a mobile church, that goes to shanty towns and other outposts in the wastes, bringing good clean burny redemption to those outside the hives. I won't go any more into the gang yet, as thats not fully formed in my head yet.

The crawler:
The idea behind my crawler will be to have a removeable roof section, so that players can reach inside to move models around, so fighting can happen within the holy vehicle. As it is a crawler it must have a massive footprint in order to be truly epic and worthy of crawler rules.

As I want palyers to be able to reach inside it will have to be big enough to fit someones hand in (task 1).
It must alsobe big enough to fit the entire gang in, and at elast make some nod towards practicality (ie an engine room etc) (task 2)
There must also be some nod towards it being a redemptionist vehicle, not jsut any old clanker (task 3)

So with those in mind I have the intial sketch from paint:
med_gallery_33656_9629_2266.png

Starting at the back, the engine room at the back will be 3 (4?) bulkheads (see below) across and 1 deep, with grating walkway outside, with a small ladder to the floor (grating in grey). There will be access into the main chapel which will have pews, and an alter/statue on back wall. All the walls of the chapel area will be cities of death wall panels (see below). At the other end of this there will be large double doors onto some grating at the front of the vehicle, with stairs either side. The entire front of the grating will be behind the cover of a large dozer blade. The red on each side will be the tracks. I am considering having the grating from the front run along over the top of the tracks to maybe half way down the vehicle.

I think I will have a ladder at the back (outside) onto the roof of the engine block, which will have a parapit. I'm hoping the chapel bit wil be a bit higher than this landing so I can have another few steps onto the roof of the chapel. I am hoping (dimensions pending) that I can have a floor tile running all around the edge of the roof (that models can stand on), then a steeped roof in the central rectangle that is removeable so people can reach inside to move models.

The drivers cockpit and controls will be in a small room on the roof above the angled out front of the vehcile (so directly above the double doors bit).

Parts wise, the engine room will be using the solid bulk heads apart from one with the door in:
gallery_33656_9629_3119.jpg

The walls of the chapel will be:
med_gallery_33656_9629_155236.jpg

And the roof will definitly be this, but the floor in the chapel might be foamboard or something else, not totally sure yet:
med_gallery_33656_9629_24048.jpg

the tracks will likely be built out of foamcard, and I'm not sure the exact make, but have seen several good examples of grating that can be used.

I hope that all makes sense. Feel free to offer any critiscim or improvements as you see fit, as you ca ntell this is very early days for planning this at the moment.

Reactions: Bjecki

MeanBone

Juve
Apr 28, 2011
Dubuque, Iowa, USA
For the bounty hunter: The eye is naturally drawn to the color red, and there's already a lot competing for attention -- the yellow and black boltgun, the red loincloth, the white streak in the hair (assuming you went that route). So I'd vote for just a gunmetal bolt pistol, with some small chrome details.

The mobile church sounds awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.