NCE Necromunda Community Edition

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Quick question on charging from a game with @Ardavion during TribeMeet:

If someone causes Fear, but is Down, can a fighter freely charge them to take them out since they're down, or do they still need to pass a leadership test? I can't remember what we decided to do at the time, I think we went with they needed to roll a leadership test anyway. Perhaps @Ardavion can remember.

Draconic

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
Osborne Park WA 6017, Australia
That’s a good query and I can’t see it mentioned in the rules. I would think a pinned scary mini would still be scary as once you charge them they still jump up and fight at full strength.. but a downed one that just needs the ku de ta?

Reactions: Tiny and Stoof

undertaker

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
I would also think that downed fighters are not so scary any more...

On a different topic, recovering from pinning currently says:
Note when testing to escape pinning, Juves, fighters
who are down, and fighters whose nerve is broken do
not count. Rather than reassuring the fighter, the
proximity of these unreliable comrades will only
encourage him to keep his head down!
I am thinking that list should also include fighters that are on fire. These burning, screaming fellows are unlikely to be reassuring.

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I am thinking that list should also include fighters that are on fire. These burning, screaming fellows are unlikely to be reassuring.
I'm inclined to agree. Fellow pinned fighters do help - I imagine two pinned guys looking at each other, nodding "ready" and then jumping up together*, but someone who is flopping about on fire isn't going to do much for your confidence!

*or one jumping up whilst the other stays pinned, quietly pleased with himself for drawing fire away with his buddy - I imagine he'll get a healthy slap after the fight. This happened to me a few times last weekend!

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
Quick question on charging from a game with @Ardavion during TribeMeet:

If someone causes Fear, but is Down, can a fighter freely charge them to take them out since they're down, or do they still need to pass a leadership test? I can't remember what we decided to do at the time, I think we went with they needed to roll a leadership test anyway. Perhaps @Ardavion can remember.
We went with having a leadership test to charge; the rationale was that even if someone is down they can still cause fear (there's no condition on fear that makes it stop working if the model is down), and in story terms someone who has a killer reputation or horrific scars can still make people wary - what if they're faking?

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
If you look at it as equivalencies - is the Down scary guy still more scary than a standing, ready and armed enemy that you would not need to pass a leadership test to charge? I personally don't think so - I think you'd seize the opportunity to easily take out a scary opponent and gain the glory for being "the guy that took out Derek the Mangler".

Films are a mixed bag on this one - You see the little guy seizing the initiative and mobbing a scary foe when they show weakness, but films also tell us that apparently beaten enemies can spring up and mash you if they get a second wind. So yeah. I dunno what the "official" line should be here and I can see both sides of the argument.

How have people played it in the past, I should think it must be reasonably common?

Reactions: Draconic

undertaker

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
i need to find it, but didn’t the ORB book say (in target selection) that Downed targets aren’t a threat, and can be ignored to pick active targets that are more threatening? (not verbatim in any way)
That is definitely a rule in NCE, and adds to the argument that they should also not be feared.

Reactions: Stoof and Draconic
Hey folks, fairly new to NCE, but Love old mordheim, and the NCE makes this old fogey happy. Im not sure if it's been done, or being done, or what, but is there an effort to "patch" the stuff from the new NC17 into NCE? Weapon profiles and the like? I like NC17, but it burns too quickly for me (even though it means my gaming group is actually likely to finish a campaign...) and I'd love to see the new stuff available to the NCE. Is this happening? Are there copyright issues? Has it been done already and im just super duper blind?
Thanks, and keep up the wonderful work.

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
@Tiny and me and a few people sort of nearly started kinda? It is definitely in the works for TribeMeet 2020 as the committee decided early on in the planning for the next one that we really need people to be able to play NCE easily with the new minis. We haven't actually done anything of course, but it means this will exist by March 2020 :ROFLMAO:

Most things are easily counts-as, the problems are combi weapons, the proliferation of needle weapons you almost never get in NCE, and some funky close combat stuff that needs to be statted and costed.

The plan was a stand-alone optional extra document which is essentially an extended trading post with the new weapons as common choices.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Anyone got a comprehensive list of the new weapons in N17? Happy to put something together pretty sharpish for further discussion but not super familiar with all of the new stuff.

The upside of NCE is you can often just use whatever you like as a "counts as" weapon. e.g. N17 Needle rifle / long rifle = NCE hunting rifle. N17 combat shotgun = NCE shotgun. N17 Cawdor polearm/autogun = NCE Autogun + Axe... etc

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Don't suppose that will include hangers on and brutes?
Hangers on can be used as gangers. Its more about people being able to use their minis at all than being able to use their minis as the same thing as in N17.

I don't see the need to add brutes though, mainly as I don't like them. NCE gangs are not House Militia like they are in N17. NCE versions of the Ogryn hired gun should be easy enough though and that could count as a bunch of things.