• YakTribe will be migrated to a new server on Monday night, April 12th after 2am GMT and should be available on Tuesday morning.

NCE Necromunda Community Edition

undertaker

Gang Hero
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
Remember, your GR includes all sorts of stuff that isn't used, including fighters not present (due to injury or scenario). I'm not convinced there's much difference - if any - between a boltgun in your stash and a boltgun belonging to a fighter who doesn't show up to a particular fight.
The key difference is that a boltgun is equipped by choice, whereas a fighter missing due to injury is not.
As for scenarios that don't allow all your fighters to participate, they should balance this in other, scenario-specific fashions (and mostly do).

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The key difference is that a boltgun is equipped by choice, whereas a fighter missing due to injury is not.

I'm not clear what your point is. If anything, that sounds like MORE reason to count the one in your stash (you could have used it if you'd wanted to, so it's your fault if you didn't) than the one on the missing fighter (which you had no say over).

Reactions: Tiny and trollmeat

undertaker

Gang Hero
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
The point is you don't find out if your fighter will be missing until after you equip them (except Infected Wound). Up to that point they COULD contribute to the fight, so SHOULD contribute to the gang rating.
On the other hand, if you choose not to equip that boltgun, then it DEFINITELY WILL NOT contribute to the fight, and SHOULD NOT contribute to the gang rating.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Apologies for the question as as I’ve been flitting between editions I’m not sure what the NCE ruling is and the above conversation confused me a bit:

Q: is the current NCE Gang Rating supposed to represent the whole of the gang or just those fighting?

Because there’s a huge difference in facing off against five street punks vs facing off against five members of a huge organised crime family.

Reactions: trollmeat

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I would think more of a hybrid solution could be handy. Something like 'everything above 100 credits is to be added to the gangrating'.
That way you can save up credits for bigger purchases, but it also reflects the fact that your gang might be more powerfull then it seems.

While an interesting idea I think it adds an extra layer of things for people to forget. There's already enough of that in between games.

In the interests of keeping as close to the ORB rulings as possible, I'm going to say that this is something that doesn't need changing. Gangs get penalised for fighters missing games. They get a benefit for having money or stuff in their stash that isn't being used. Trying to balance it out is an exercise in futility so we'll just leave it as is. In 90%+ of games it won't make any difference anyway.

If you find it is seriously negatively affecting you in a campaign, let me know and we'll take another look at it, however its never really come up as an issue for me in as long as I've played so I doubt its causing too many frustrations.

Vertico

Gang Champion
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem
While an interesting idea I think it adds an extra layer of things for people to forget. There's already enough of that in between games.

In the interests of keeping as close to the ORB rulings as possible, I'm going to say that this is something that doesn't need changing. Gangs get penalised for fighters missing games. They get a benefit for having money or stuff in their stash that isn't being used. Trying to balance it out is an exercise in futility so we'll just leave it as is. In 90%+ of games it won't make any difference anyway.

If you find it is seriously negatively affecting you in a campaign, let me know and we'll take another look at it, however its never really come up as an issue for me in as long as I've played so I doubt its causing too many frustrations.

Technically, it can be used to farm underdog bonus. But if your opponent does that, then think about switching company. :)

Reactions: trollmeat

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
It would be a yes from me, I was surprised to discover they were gone. I've seen discussions about randomness crippling gangs, like losing a heavy on an unlucky dice roll and never recovering from it. But I don't know the actual reason it was removed. And maybe the players that didn't move on to the new edition(s) are willing to embrace all the randomness. 😁

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
I'd put them back in but I'd be interested in different ways of managing it if anyone has any ideas? I never really liked it just being about the leadership stat as it doesn't really tie in with the story of the campaign.

Reactions: trollmeat and Tiny

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Leadership Challenges ... were omitted for reasons unknown.

Looks like it's just been on to 'to do' pile for a while...

How come OCE doesn't have things like the characters, leadership of the gang rule, arbites campaigns, as well as the bestiary, deviant scum, aliens, and chaos creatures?

It was a focal push on all the other stuff so as to get a version of the OCE published, even though incomplete.... the discussion at the time of the OCE's draft up by @Anthony and the community decided to focus on the core stuff. I think there is in general an encouragement to house rule anything you can't find in the OCE.

I have no particular opinion of my own on this.

Reactions: Tiny and Stoof

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
There's also the reasoning that the arbitrator scenarios, characters, bestiary, aliens etc are all directly portable to NCE/OCE anyway, so all you'd be doing is rewriting something verbatim from the source. To me it seems like a waste of time for something that was so seldom used (in my experience anyway).

Reactions: Tiny

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Downloaded! Now I just need to read though and see if I can spot where the changes have been made since my last copy (2019 ver). Thanks for all your work!

Reactions: Tiny