NCE Necromunda Community Edition

I’m not unsympathetic to that, though I feel that is an inherent issue with using static referencing in a living document.

The reason that the document hasn’t had any major formatting changes is simply because Anthony created it to act as a plug-in replacement for the LRB, so it retained as much of that documents structure as possible to act in that way, including not exceeding paragraph limits (because that would break page numbering). Which was fine back then. Quite whether it’s still worth being held rigidly to the formatting of a book from 20 years ago is a debate in itself.

There’s a lot I could write, thoughts wise here but I sense that I’m p-ing into the wind and don’t want to text-wall further anyway.

Last edited:
My two cents; whatever page numbering is in the core book, I'm not sure what that would reference outside of itself.

Other documents that reference the core book? The Outlanders book doesn't actually reference anything with page numbers, just headings, so that wouldn't need any updates, and...?

We'd basically be stretching into non-standard gang or campaign documents, which would be rare enough, and any issues would probably get a mention here as a pseudo-support ticket for a queue of documents to update for NCE. It could actually focus work efforts on NCE for the most pertinent/desired documents in need of updating.

In all honesty, I don't recognise referencing in terms of page numbers and just flick through to the section in the NCE core book or outlanders, precisely because the page numbers have gaps in them. If I want to look up Gang Recruitment, and the contents page says "75", and I go 70ish pages in only to find I am in fact on page 94, so I go back 20ish pages only to find I'm on page 54, I end up just flicking through the pages until I see "Gang Recruitment" on a page.

Whether this is an argument to not update the page numbers (if they're not used because they're wrong, would fixing them get them used?), who could say.

I get that it is extra work, but if a document has e.g. hyperlinking/bookmarks set up by topic then it should be the case that a refresh of the bookmarks when modifying the document would update page references, so future updates would be easy to re-reference, assuming actual page numbers are used. I'm just going off of Microsoft Word, here, so working with PDFs might be different.

You could also have an appendix with hard-coded ORB page references listed for each corresponding topic, so they'd still be available, but not dictating the structure of the document.

Living documents referencing other living documents shouldn't be expected to reference page numbers outside of itself, either. Referencing a topic heading and the corresponding document should be enough to then get that document and check it's contents page for a page number.

Absolutely love how much of this I understand straight from "Shadow War," but I don't see a 'starting armour' table-- is everyone's first gang meant to charge into battle unarmoured until they can visit the Trading Post? No? (IME your point-costs for the various ganger slots in SW:A were larger, but it was often the case that they came with a base set of armour?)

I’ve always caulked it up to practicality, flak armour even if you can get it is useless against most things so why bother spending your own creds on it.

Flak armour is the Storm Trooper armour of the 41st millennium, guardsman/troopers ware it but what does it actually do 🤣 other than make them look smart.

Hi everyone.

I was just about to print the latest NCE RB, and though I’d check in with the group to see if there were any plans to publish an updated version in the near future that I should hold for?

Appreciate all the great work to keep the original version of this great game alive!

Reactions: Stoof and Tiny
There is a plan to update it. It has been in place since it was last updated. Sadly it is always thwarted by real life.

I can't see me updating it for a while as I've had to completely rebuild the document practically from scratch to make it compatible with new software, which is taking a ridiculously long time given that I manage to get about an hour a month to work on it.

If you print it, just be aware there are a couple of small issues in it (such as D6+3 loot in Scavengers that should read D3+3). Check the first post for details of planned updates.

There is a plan to update it. It has been in place since it was last updated. Sadly it is always thwarted by real life.

I can't see me updating it for a while as I've had to completely rebuild the document practically from scratch to make it compatible with new software, which is taking a ridiculously long time given that I manage to get about an hour a month to work on it.

If you print it, just be aware there are a couple of small issues in it (such as D6+3 loot in Scavengers that should read D3+3). Check the first post for details of planned updates.
Cool, thank you for the update. Really appreciate the guidance and your dedication to this effort!

Cool, thank you for the update. Really appreciate the guidance and your dedication to this effort!
Most of us who have printed a copy are quite happily using it. Plus you can always scribble in alterations if necessary.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about it too much. The document has been fairly stable for years now and changes are minuscule. Barely worth printing out a whole new copy for.

Speaking of the NCE, are these the most appropriate WIP rules to use for Enforcers & Ash Waste Nomads?

Enforcers:
Nomads:
Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

I've never used either in an actual campaign so not really had chance to playtest them. I'm sure others can help with recommendations.

I'd probably stick with the tried and tested "official" N95 / 2000s ones for the time being. They're certainly not perfect though. They were definitely written with a campaign arbitrator in mind and weren't really balanced in any meaningful way. Same for all the other Citadel Journal or Fanatic era gangs like Genestealer Cults, Squat Miners etc.

Have a chat with whoever is running your campaign if you want to run any of the gangs not in the NCE/OCE books and possibly tweak anything that seems problematic. If in doubt, take things that seem less powerful.