Necromunda: Hired Gun - A Necromunda FPS

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
I like how they've handled genestealers. Elite mooks like ambots and ogryns, but much faster, although not as durable. Scared the crap out of me a couple of times. Good contrast to basic 'stealers being the hapless cannon fodder of Deathwing.

Of course, the main character still goes through quite a few, which inevitably leads to the question: who is this Callidus assassin, and why are they impersonating an underhive bounty hunter? 🤣

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Sounds like a game I might have to put on the "I shall have to play this eventually. When the kids move out, and I can afford a new pc"-list. It's quite a long list...

Reactions: Space Truckin

SirFrog

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Honored Tribesman
Mar 1, 2015
Luleå, Sweden
I like how they've handled genestealers. Elite mooks like ambots and ogryns, but much faster, although not as durable. Scared the crap out of me a couple of times. Good contrast to basic 'stealers being the hapless cannon fodder of Deathwing.

Of course, the main character still goes through quite a few, which inevitably leads to the question: who is this Callidus assassin, and why are they impersonating an underhive bounty hunter? 🤣
Protagonists can always defeat threats they canonically shouldn't. "Protagonist armour", aka "Named Character Syndrome" is a well-known fact in 40k. But for what it's worth, it's nice to see the threat level scaled more like you expect - genestealers being genuinely fast and scary,

Hired Gun is on my "Things I should get around to play" list, to be honest.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
Protagonists can always defeat threats they canonically shouldn't. "Protagonist armour", aka "Named Character Syndrome" is a well-known fact in 40k. But for what it's worth, it's nice to see the threat level scaled more like you expect - genestealers being genuinely fast and scary,

Hired Gun is on my "Things I should get around to play" list, to be honest.
I know, and I really don't mind the main character's ludicrous feats - one-person-army protagonists are a staple of the shooter genre, after all. I just saw an opportunity for a cheeky line and had to take it. 😄

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
I finished the campaign last night, so I thought I'd jot down some final impressions.

The best part of the game is clearly the scenery. Seriously, the title might as well be Necromunda: Scenic Tour Killing Spree. It's obvious a lot of love has gone to the design and detailing of each level, and the team's 40k fan credentials really shine through. No spoilers, but I found the final level in particular to be an absolute treat. From a gameplay point of view, the levels mostly offer spacious areas with a lot of verticality to play with.

The gameplay itself is solid. It's not groundbreaking or a gem of the genre, but it's competently executed and carries through the length of the campaign, which for me was a little under 19 hours on Normal. The arsenal of weapons could have been larger; in particular, the omission of flamers and meltas is a crying shame. Close combat is a bit underrepresented as well, although that's understandable as a gameplay choice - since you can use your grappling hook to quickly close distance with enemies, some of the more powerful CC weapons would totally unbalance the game, unless they were horrifyingly underpowered, and that'd just be a downer.

There are some light looter shooter elements - nothing to the degree of Borderlands, but you can find rarer versions of guns as well as trinkets, lucky charms and armour to boost your stats. The guns can be customized to tweak their performance, which is a nice touch, though some of the weapons could have used more options. Aside from that, you can spend your creds on upgrading the bionics of your main character and their cyber-mastiff.

The story is utterly forgettable. It's mostly advanced by uninteresting conversations, always with the same three NPCs in the hub level, and mostly seemed to consist of giving you flimsy excuses to go shoot some more gangers. I mentally checked out after a few missions, and mostly had no idea what was going on. The voice acting ranges from flat to awkward.

Overall, it's good, but not great. I don't see it having much immediate replay value, since so much of the charm is tied to seeing which corner of the underhive you'll be rampaging around in the next level. I wouldn't mind a DLC adventure, though, maybe with some of the non-featured great houses as enemies.