Necromunda quest! How about it?

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
If anyone shows interest in helping playtesting it I will do my best to make it possible to either play a solo version or together over roll20 or something similar.

And if you have any views or ideas on what they think would be cool then write it here and I will see how I can incorporate them.

Last edited:

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Here is a copy and paste of how far I got tonight without formatting.

Necromunda: ROOM CLEAR!

Introduction
This is the first draft of Necromunda: Room Clear! A game in which the players control a group of bounty hunters, who banded together to take down outlaw gangs and their leaders. Set in the fictional world of Necromunda.
Objective
The Bounty Hunters will begin in at a point neighbouring the edge of the map designated as the Extraction point. From there they must reach a certain room, known as the Objective Room. The outlaw leader is in this room, and the Bounty Hunters must kill this character and leave safely in order to receive their reward. Along the way will be other rooms that likely will contain other outlaws who will seek to kill the Bounty Hunters.
Turn order
Each standard round will consist of the following phases.
Bounty Hunters move (a starting Bounty Hunter can move 4 squares during this phase).
If a Bounty Hunter has moved so as to establish a line of sight (see ‘Exploration’ below) then roll on the Exploration table.
Up to 1 dice per Bounty Hunter may be rolled and the dice make up the Dice Pool for that round.
The Bounty Hunters then make actions. Actions can be to open doors in adjacent squares or activate an ability granted by their cards. To activate a card, take a dice from the pool and add or subtract to the dice result according to the Bounty Hunter’s WS or BS, environmental factors or other special rules applying to the situation. Apply the result from a card in the characters possession that corresponds to the value.
The players can then move any civilian models on the board 3 squares, most likely in a way that moves them away from danger.
Bounty Hunters that are ‘pinned’ are stood back up
Exploration
If a Bounty Hunter can draw a straight line from the centre of their square into a room then they must roll immediately on the Exploration chart below.
(Illustration of line of sight to come soon)
When a PC has line of sight into a previously unsearched room roll a d6 and apply modifiers for the colour of the room any any skills the PCs have to find out what is in there.
-3 piece of archeotech (if collected and extracted can be exchanged for a advancement card)
-2 ally (acts as a Tough Outlaw but under the control of the PC who activated the roll)
-1 civilians (if they are killed -1 advancement card per civilian)
0 civilians (as above)
1 empty
2 light outlaw
3 light outlaw (roll again on the Exporation Extra Chart)
4 regular outlaw
5 regular outlaw (roll again on the Exporation Extra Chart)
6 tough outlaw
7 tough outlaw
8 tough outlaw (roll again on the Exporation Extra Chart)
9+ outlaw leader

Green room -2 to roll
Amber room no modifier
Red room +2 to roll
(Exploration Extra Chart to come soon, to include stuff like hostages, armour, civilians turning into outlaws, etc)
(Objective Room exploration to come soon)

Applying Damage
Many cards will state that you have missed, pinned or wounded your target. A miss means that nothing happens. Pinned means that you should place the target model lying down in their square. They will likely stand up at the end of their next turn. Wounded means they must lose a wound. If they don’t have wounds left they are removed (unless otherwise stated, Bounty Hunters start with 8 wounds, outlaws and civilians have 1). Often a target may have some special immunity, in which case the result doesn’t apply and wounds aren’t inflicted.
Types of damage
Minor wound
Accurate wound
Overpowered wound
Outlaw turn

Campaign
Injuries
Rewards
Co-Creatorship
Creating a Den of Villainy
Printouts
Blank map
Cards
Sleeves

note to myself: I need a section called how to make your bounty hunter

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoof

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
So the little one took her sweet time falling asleep. no hobby time and late supper. But I thought I would just brainstorm a list of advancement cards with y'all.

Weapons
Basic pistols (stub/las/auto all in one)
Bolt pistol
Plasma pistol
Needle pistol
Shotgun
Autogun
Lasgun
Bolt gun
Plasma gun
Melta gun
Flamer
Heavy stubber
Heavy bolter

Skills
Gunslinger
Fastdraw (shoot before ambusher or the like)
Killer rep
Sprint
Dodge
Combat master
Counter strike
Evade
Body slam
Hurl opponent
Nerves of steel
Iron will
True grit
Crack shot
Marksman
Rapid fire
Inventor
Medic
Weaponsmith
Armourer

Misc
Armour
Bionics
Sights
Grenades
Ammo types
Auto-repairer
Berserker Chip
Bio-booster
Bio-scanner
Blindsnake Pouch
Drum Magazine
Filter Plugs
Infra-red Goggles
Lobo-chip
Medi-pack
One in a Million Weapon
Photo-visor
Ratskin Map
Respirator
Silencer
Skull Chip
Stinger Pouch
Stummers
Suspensor

Wyrd powers
Fireball
Sense presence
Zen shootist
Mind control
Walk through walls
Unnatural luck

Some thoughts on how weapons will differ.
-Weapon cards are turned face down (exhausted) if they are unusable
-Upside down if you can do something about it during the game (eg. Plasma gun takes a turn to cool down
-You can carry as many guns as you like but only 2 are activatable unless swapped as an action
-equipment such as sights must be 'tagged' to a weapon, placed slightly touching to show they are connected
-some weapons have an AOE
-some are more likely to cause specific damage

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Necromunda
ROOM CLEAR!
ROOM CLEAR!
Table of Contents

Introduction

Objective

Turn order

Exploration

Actions

Types of damage

Recovery

Outlaw turn

Campaign

Injuries

Rewards

Co-Creatorship

Printouts

Blank map

Cards

Sleeves

Introduction

This is the first draft of Necromunda: Room Clear! A game in which the players control a group of bounty hunters, who banded together to take down outlaw gangs and their leaders. Set in the fictional world of Necromunda.

Objective

The Bounty Hunters will begin in at a point neighbouring the edge of the map designated as the Extraction point. From there they must reach a certain room, known as the Objective Room. The outlaw leader is in this room, and the Bounty Hunters must kill this character and leave safely in order to receive their reward. Along the way will be other rooms that likely will contain other outlaws who will seek to kill the Bounty Hunters.

Turn order

Each standard round will consist of the following phases.

Bounty Hunters move (a starting Bounty Hunter can move 4 squares during this phase).

If a Bounty Hunter has moved so as to establish a line of sight (see ‘Exploration’ below) then roll on the Exploration table.

Up to 1 dice per Bounty Hunter may be rolled and the dice make up the Dice Pool for that round.

The Bounty Hunters then make actions. Actions can be to open doors in adjacent squares or activate an ability granted by their cards. To activate a card, take a dice from the pool and add or subtract to the dice result according to the Bounty Hunter’s WS or BS, environmental factors or other special rules applying to the situation. Apply the result from a card in the characters possession that corresponds to the value.

The players can then move any civilian models on the board 3 squares, most likely in a way that moves them away from danger.

Bounty Hunters that are ‘pinned’ are stood back up

Exploration

If a Bounty Hunter can draw a straight line from the centre of their square into a room then they must roll immediately on the Exploration chart below.

(Illustration of line of sight to come soon)

When a PC has line of sight into a previously unsearched room roll a d6 and apply modifiers for the colour of the room any any skills the PCs have to find out what is in there.

-3 piece of archeotech (if collected and extracted can be exchanged for a advancement card)

-2 ally (acts as a Tough Outlaw but under the control of the PC who activated the roll)

-1 civilians (can be moved d6 squares per turn, if they are killed -1 advancement card per civilian)

0 civilians (as above)

1 empty

2 light outlaw

3 light outlaw (roll again on the Exporation Extra Chart)

4 regular outlaw

5 regular outlaw (roll again on the Exporation Extra Chart)

6 tough outlaw

7 tough outlaw

8 tough outlaw (roll again on the Exporation Extra Chart)

9+ tough outlaw and a regular outlaw (roll again on the Exporation Extra Chart)

Green room -2 to roll

Amber room no modifier

Red room +2 to roll

(Exploration Extra Chart to come soon, to include stuff like hostages, armour, civilians turning into outlaws, etc)

(Objective Room exploration to come soon)

Applying Damage

Many cards will state that you have missed, pinned or wounded your target. A miss means that nothing happens. Pinned means that you should place the target model lying down in their square. They will likely stand up at the end of their next turn. Wounded means they must lose a wound. If they don’t have wounds left they are removed (unless otherwise stated, Bounty Hunters start with 8 wounds, outlaws and civilians have 1). Often a target may have some special immunity, in which case the result doesn’t apply and wounds aren’t inflicted.

Types of damage

Minor wound (wounds an unarmoured target, unless another model stands directly between the shooter and the target. In which case, the character first in the firing line takes the minor wound.)

Accurate wound (wounds the target, even when another model stands directly between the shooter and the target.)

Overpowered wound (wounds an unarmoured target, And also any other model standing directly between the shooter and the target.)

Models can only be targeted if there is up to one model between the shooter and the target. Otherwise they are not considered in line of sight. Outlaws will not shoot if there is an outlaw between them and their target, but they will shoot if there is a civilian or a Bounty Hunter in between.

Outlaw turn

Outlaws are not controlled by any player. They follow a pre-set behaviour, dependent upon their type. Below are outlaw types present in the normal game and a list of actions they might take. They will take the first action possible then end their turn. (I am tempted to write that only one roll is made for all the outlaws in each given turn in order to make it fast paced, perhaps specifically after the move. But that would result in some turns being very dull and others being extremely deadly. Playtesting is needed to make the decision.)

Light outlaw (armed with only a pistol)

Move up to 4 squares to get behind cover and shoot at a Bounty Hunter.

Stand still and shoot at a Bounty Hunter.

Move up to 4 squares to get into line of sight of a Bounty Hunter, then shoot.

Move up to 4 squares towards the nearest Civilian and shoot the Civilian.

Shooting with only a pistol

1-3 missed

4 Pinned

5 Minor Wound

6 Accurate shot

Regular outlaw (armed with a Shotgun/Autogun/Lasgun)

Stand still and shoot at a Bounty Hunter.

Shooting with a Shotgun/Autogun/Lasgun

1-2 missed

3 Pinned

4 Minor Wound

5-6 Accurate shot

Tough outlaw (armed with melee weapons and armour that gives them a resistance to Minor wounds)

Move up to 6 squares to get into melee range of a Bounty Hunter, then strike.

Move up to 6 squares towards the nearest Civilian and strike the Civilian.

Striking with a melee weapon

1-2 missed

3 Minor wound

4 -6 Overpowered wound

Leader (armed with a Bolter and armour that gives them a resistance to Minor wounds)

Stand still, shoot at a Bounty Hunter and give commands to all outlaws within line of sight (giving them +1 to their roll).

Shooting with a Boltgun

1missed

2 Pinned

3 Minor Wound

4-6 Overpowered shot

Campaign

Injuries

(Injuries to come in a future update)

Rewards

If the Bounty Hunters successfully kill the Outlaw leader and either kill all other active outlaws or move off the board via the extraction point the team gets one randomly selected Advancement card per Bounty Hunter and another card if no civilians are killed, but the players are free to negotiate who receives which card/cards. Some Bounty Hunters may receive additional advancement cards but unless otherwise stated, it is randomly selected and can only be taken by the Bounty Hunter that generates it. Any time between games a Bounty Hunter may exchange two unwanted advancement cards to get a Random new one in exchange, but must exchange 2 for 1 again if they are unhappy with the new card and want to exchange that one too.

Co-Creatorship
(I want to write a section that helps others to hack the game invarious ways. From making maps, new NPCs, even entirely new settings)

(instructions of making a map but also balancing difficulties and making backstory)

Printouts

Blank map
(it sort of needs to wait until I make my board)

Cards

Sleeves

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
I think I have enough here to get a play test done. Except for 70 odd cards but I will start with just the ones I really need. I just need to scrounge up a hand full of models and draw a paper floor plan.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Above are the models I chose for the bounty hunters for my first play test, a roughly drawn map that I call the passage of testing and the ganger who will stand in as the outlaw leader.

The bounty hunters from left to right. A little history and their 3 chosen starting advancements.

'Yellow eyes' Maguire
A Wyrd who escaped punishment by being a servant of the local guilder magistrate. He hunts his master's enemies to boost his popularity.
Free basic pistol
Zen shootist
One in a million weapon (tagged to the pistol)
Rapid fire

Red Jane
Retired outlaw who now hunts her former gang for protection from justice. Ready to get some real action after herding cattle for the last 20 hours of game play.
Free basic pistol
Chainsword
Bolter
Frag grenades

Blue steel
Former Mr Necromunda contestant, but the leader board is now dominated by certain clones, and he can't get a look in.
Free pistol
Power fist
Counter strike
Body slam

Green spillage
Ratskin scout who looked at the chump change offered by the gang leader in front of him, then to the wanted poster on the wall, then wordlessly walked away, leaving the creds on the table.
Free pistol
Shotgun
Hot shot shells
Blindsnake pouch

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored, Non-washer of Minis
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Wait a sec, didn’t you post something about doing this in 10mm? I sorta tuned out after reading that. Is this a full-size game?

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Wait a sec, didn’t you post something about doing this in 10mm? I sorta tuned out after reading that. Is this a full-size game?
It will be in 10mm but I will do a play test with what I got right now since I would have to take a break from it just to get some 10mm models.

The idea was to make a really simple game to compliment the travel set that I will make. As in a game that is easy to transport and is quick to play. Naturally the board could be used with full scale Necromunda and full scale models could be used to play the mini game. However they won't work well together. For example, that map there is already bigger than the mini board, and you would have to carry a separate booklet and box of minis, and has very little replayability.

Mini game to go with the mini board.

Reactions: Punktaku

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
There's kinda two different types of hobby exercises. Dedicated time when you can sit down and write or paint or something else physical. Then there is background thinking exercise that you might do when you zoned out on while doing something else. Driving or washing dishes, etc.

My dedicated time is taken up with comp 41 but in my zone out time I'm trying to think of how to lay this map out.

Any ideas on what rooms I might to include. Fixed scenery should be a feature. Ideas for scatter terrain is also welcome.

So far I have-
Dorm rooms
Factory floor
Lobby
Bar
cafeteria
Toilet/shower block
Check point with security station

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Have a look at this map I was working on during my lunch breaks.

I'm not sure how understandable it will be to others. I tried labelling all the rooms. The dark parts are the walls and quarter circles are doors. The colours have various purposes. Like green, blue and red are spawners, so to say. As soon as you make line of sight the players roll what is there. The colour indicates the danger level.

Yellow are extraction points and way points to the other side of the map. The map is divided in two where the pencil is (so that I can put hinges on and fold it away).

The idea is that a map is made and an adventure to go with it and a map showing where bulkheads are placed to restrict movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: BranBuccarcher

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
So I have made progress on doing a play test. Struggling due to losing access to a printer to print the rules off and figuring out how to do it to get a good batrep out of it. But...

In my relax time since finishing the comp 41 entry I have been doing some sculpting.

Jul 15, 2020
I always encourage homebrew design and also appreciate your encouragement on my threads. Stray thoughts, and later on notes from my own game development on similar ideas:

Sculpting: Try using a razor blade for edges and metal tools like a paperclip for holes. 10-15 mm is going to be quite hard to capture details. Most 25-30mm minis, if not done on computer, are made as a 3x scale version so more like 75-90 mm to work with. You can get sprues of 15mm minis, I have some Native Americans I am using for Hot Wheels / Gaslands scale war boys, etc. Most people would not play an alternate scale game but the good news is you can make your rules work for both. Each square could also be treated as an inch for full scale models. Moving diagonal could be treated as one square or 1.5 squares depending on if you want more realism / complexity versus simplification.

The maps look good for a game, if you keep it to a grid it wouldn't be hard to recreate on any number of computer programs. Even Excel could work!

TL;DR, put everything on cards. Use a select number of universal keywords also explained on the cards that use them. Make most stats, weapons, and combat compatible with basic Necromunda.

For encounters and enemies, I would suggest a card deck rather than rolling. Some games have different tiers of enemies on the same card, but for higher difficulties you could just multiply x2 or x3 etc. the amount of enemies. With the same backing as weapons and equipment you have the option of a pure loot deck or mixing them in as possible encounters. Caveat being, you have to clear the room of threats before equipping anything new. By drawing multiple cards per room there might be some interesting scenarios. You could even have hostile factions so mutant rats would attack other enemies and not just have every threat team up on the player. Lots of options.

The base concept I'm working with for my dungeon crawler is using elements of Talisman, Warhammer Quest, Arkham Horror, and even Magic the Gathering. But it's not a random hodgepodge, it's very intentional and trying to be realistic and immersive. Also, be less random and more strategic, which means giving meaningful options and choices to the player. Maybe it's going further than you wanted, but my game concept includes the ability to negotiate or barter with certain NPCs.

To save room on cards not every special rule needs to be spelled out completely on the card, but I'm giving you a more full version to get the concept across, even thopugh an actual card would be more concise if some mechanics were spelled out elsewhere. I also plan to use symbols to summarize effects to avoid having to spell everything out completely. This is notes for game dev as opposed to final wording.

Sample Card:
Angry Hive Scum: 1D6+ 2 Bandits +1 Bandit champion. They demand drinking money! (hostile)
Bribe (become neutral): Pay 3D6 credits per bandit (or equivalent in sale price of goods) -- highest Cool skill in group.
Hire: Pay 20 credits per bandit. The bandits will fight as allies leave after 3 turns unless______

Talisman had an initiative system for cards which is under-rated and not widely used. You could simplify it down from 7, but events should come before NPCs which should come before access to treasure / companions.

Cards would have the stats of the enemy, faction allegiance, and base AI (could be as simple as hostile versus neutral, but maybe have separate AI for ranged versus melee, or chances for morale tests and varying aggression.

Could be room based rules, either on the cards themselves or the map.
Safe Zone: "Discard any enemy cards drawn in this room."

Sample cards:
Rats!: "1D6 rats (Faction: Rats: hostile to all models that aren't rats.") (Poison? Test versus Toughness on wound or take extra wound) {Statline} 5 Experience points per rat.

Loot crate: "Draw 2 random equipment and 1 extra encounter card. + 1d6 x10 Credits"

HAZARD: Frenzon Gas: "For 1d6 rounds, all NPCs in the room will charge and attack the nearest model in melee, even from their own faction. PCs can choose to either miss a turn, or if they want to act, make a Will check. Success: Act normally: Failure: Attack nearest in melee as if they were an NPC."

HAZARD: Heights
Any model (without Hover) that receives knockback during combat takes an additional wound.
To retrieve any credits or equipment from this area, pass a Reflexes Check. Each model that fails takes 1 wound.

Ability: Technician. Model can use the best option on equipment cards.

Equipment:
Gas Mask: Equipped model is gets +2 on all skill checks to resist Gas effects (immune with Technician)
Antidote: Equipped model is gets +2 on all skill checks to resist Poison effects (immune with Technician)
Hazmat suit: Equipped model is gets +2 on all skill checks to resist Acid effects (immune with Technician). Fragile: Hazmat suit is destroyed if model takes more than 1 damage while wearing it.
Scanner: Use a charge point, and turn the cards that would be drawn in an unexplored room face up.
Climbing Gear: +2 on any skill checks for any Challenge with the Height keyword. (auto pass with Technician)

Character creation, in addition to the pre-generated local legends, could be choosing from upgrades with a points system. 1 pt = raise an attribute (with limits), acquire skill of choice, or piece of equipment. Some feats and gear could cost 2 or 3 pts, if you aren't doing rarities of gear then it could be 1 upgrade point = X credits worth of stuff.

You are more than welcome to use any suggestion or work I share directly in your game, although once my own dungeon crawler system gets finished there will be some overlap. In the meantime I feel inspired to keep working on this project with my own version of the concept. If I really figure out what I'm doing I can make my crawler compatible in many ways with both Necromunda and my homebrew RPG system. I also have a 0 to 10 point attribute system. It's a refinement of many existing tropes an concepts to work in skill checks, gear, and risky choices instead of just rolling dice and killing stuff. My designs start out as generic systems mechanically that the theme can be added on to.

I believe that boardgames, miniature wargaming, and improv acting Role-Playing can all be combined into one solid experience. It's not a new concept and even some editions of D&D have attempted it. But I find their efforts to be clunky, requiring massive amounts of tomes and supplements, and leaving room for improvement. I don't have a need to sell bajillions of books and props, my goal for literally decades has been to craft the best possible gaming experience I can make free from commercial corruption and the need for sales. I ran into stalls finishing card based melee and magic systems, but the base layer of challenge resolution is baked in and ready to go. Instead of trying to make the PERFECT realistic melee system or any other ground breaking thing it might be better to focus on finishing a refinement like this dungeon crawler project.

Thanks for hosting my thoughts on the subject and I hope that this post is useful.

• Love
Reactions: Biggle_Bear