N18 New Goliath campaign game loadout

Jamienobes

Apr 19, 2019
What do you guys think of my starting roster. I’ve tried to max out the boys over toys thought process...

Gang (Goliath) [15 Weapon slot, 1000 Credits] ++

+ Fighters +

Champion [1 Weapon slot, 165 Credits]

. Weapons: Grenade Launcher

Champion [2 Weapon slot, 150 Credits]

. Weapons: "Renderizer" Serrated Axe

Ganger [1 Weapon slot, 115 Credits]

. Weapons: Grenade Launcher

Ganger [2 Weapon slot, 75 Credits]

. Weapons: Fighting Knife, Stub Gun

Ganger [1 Weapon slot, 80 Credits]

. Weapons: Stub Cannon

Juve [1 Weapon slot, 30 Credits]

. Weapons: Stub gun

Juve [2 Weapon slot, 35 Credits]

. Weapons: Stub gun, Stub gun

Leader [3 Weapon slot, 190 Credits]

. Weapons: Fighting Knife, Shotgun, Stub Gun

++ Total: [1000 Credits, 15 Weapon slot] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
You definitely got the bodies! First it would be good to know if your group tends to play ZM or SM since this will mean much in how valid CC is.

Second I guess that since you didn't mention it you're playing according to the rules and that you can't take weapons away from fighters. This means that some of the will be stuck with a lot of crap. For instance a shotgun might be quite an alright shooting weapon for a leader but you'll probably will want to get him into CC as well and here the fighting knife and stub gun is a quite bad choice that you don't want to be stuck with. An alternative would be a combi-pistol, which is a bit punchier than the shotgun but at the price of shorter range. It can however be used in CC and comes with that back-up alternative as well. To top it off I wouldn't go for a CC weapon that's worse than a chainsword (and they're actually pretty great in a point-per-point comparison). So this alternative would stay fresh quite far into the campaign, although you might need to scrap a juve to be able to afford it...

...which brings me to the next point: don't start a dominion campaign with juves. First of all they're not that great, even though bring a bit of speed to an otherwise terribly slow gang (+1 M and a hand flamer asap is a recommendation), but most importantly you'll have the opportunity to get one for free after each game from your settlement - as long as you fulfil the ganger tax. This means that you're potentially saying no to something free depending on how you roll post-battle. Doubly so if you get the Goliath specific territory that gives you additional such rolls.

Apart from this smoke grenades and stimms is the way to go for slow Goliath. They allow you to actually get into CC. I would also consider switching out the stub cannons if possible since they're quite bad for their cost in comparison to the 10c more pricey shotgun. Dropping both juves should allow you to make some of this upgrades (including the new equipment for the leader) from start. And I would prioritise afore mentioned stimms and smoke grenades as your first purchase as well as maybe a couple of blasting charges.

Skills wise I would probably go Nerves of Steel on most of them.

Hope this helps.

Jamienobes

Apr 19, 2019
You definitely got the bodies! First it would be good to know if your group tends to play ZM or SM since this will mean much in how valid CC is.

Second I guess that since you didn't mention it you're playing according to the rules and that you can't take weapons away from fighters. This means that some of the will be stuck with a lot of crap. For instance a shotgun might be quite an alright shooting weapon for a leader but you'll probably will want to get him into CC as well and here the fighting knife and stub gun is a quite bad choice that you don't want to be stuck with. An alternative would be a combi-pistol, which is a bit punchier than the shotgun but at the price of shorter range. It can however be used in CC and comes with that back-up alternative as well. To top it off I wouldn't go for a CC weapon that's worse than a chainsword (and they're actually pretty great in a point-per-point comparison). So this alternative would stay fresh quite far into the campaign, although you might need to scrap a juve to be able to afford it...

...which brings me to the next point: don't start a dominion campaign with juves. First of all they're not that great, even though bring a bit of speed to an otherwise terribly slow gang (+1 M and a hand flamer asap is a recommendation), but most importantly you'll have the opportunity to get one for free after each game from your settlement - as long as you fulfil the ganger tax. This means that you're potentially saying no to something free depending on how you roll post-battle. Doubly so if you get the Goliath specific territory that gives you additional such rolls.

Apart from this smoke grenades and stimms is the way to go for slow Goliath. They allow you to actually get into CC. I would also consider switching out the stub cannons if possible since they're quite bad for their cost in comparison to the 10c more pricey shotgun. Dropping both juves should allow you to make some of this upgrades (including the new equipment for the leader) from start. And I would prioritise afore mentioned stimms and smoke grenades as your first purchase as well as maybe a couple of blasting charges.

Skills wise I would probably go Nerves of Steel on most of them.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the really thoughtful reply! I appreciate it! What would you give your leader skill and equipment wise? I heard overseer is good, but would be then a waste to spend creds on premium equipment as you’d rarely use it.

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
Thanks for the really thoughtful reply! I appreciate it! What would you give your leader skill and equipment wise? I heard overseer is good, but would be then a waste to spend creds on premium equipment as you’d rarely use it.
Happy to help! I tried putting together a list based around yours but minus the juves and with some upgrades here that I personally would prefer. Basically you'd be able to swap each stub cannon for a shotgun and give the leader a combi-pistol and chainsword. On top of this you'll be able to get one set of smoke grenades. IMO it will be worth it. Shotgun looses 2" range on the cannons, but the loss of strength is negligible since most of your targets will be T3. Damage 2 helps a lot as well. You'll eventually also be able to upgrade them with executioner shells or make use of telescopic sights since they at least have a acc bonus on short range. The equipment of the leader is to be honest a bit of a compromise. You might want to skip out on the chainsword for a power hammer (I think this would be possible by skipping the smoke). Over all the power trait and multiple damage is real nice when going up against multi wound characters but usually the chainswords performance is decent since it both gives you +1 to hit, - on saves, rending and parry to boot. Usually it will be more than enough to take out any target on the charge unless they have an absurd save (beware shields). The pistol will give you a relatively cheap and reliable (with the stub profile) shooting attack at up to 12" as well as a good side arm in CC.

When it comes to skills I wouldn't go for Overseer for Goliath. He's your best fighter and Overseer has sort of lost some of it's lustre since the range of it was decreased with the new books. So if you intend to make it work as a sling shot for CC fighters or meltas/grenades/flamers than you might only be able to make full use of it once before other eligible options moves out of range. Using him as a babysitter for the ranged guns is on the other hands quite a waste on such an awesome fighter. It's also easily disrupted by just pinning the the overseer before he have the option to activate. So I would go for Nerves of Steel as a starting skill. If you go down this route Overseer might be a good later option to use once in a while for tactical flexibility.

Jamienobes

Apr 19, 2019
Thanks for the advice, I heard about a rule where leaders and champions can have multiple load outs. So it sounds like rearming them isn’t so much of a problem?

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
Thanks for the advice, I heard about a rule where leaders and champions can have multiple load outs. So it sounds like rearming them isn’t so much of a problem?
That's true, but as you say it's multiple load outs and causes issues in two ways. First, all of the equipment will count towards your total gang rating, making it higher than it effectively is. Granted this is mostly a problem in turf wars and not so much in dominion style games. Second, any time you have to randomly determine your crew you also have to randomise which of the load outs you end up with. This might not be much of an issue if it's just the matter between an ok close combat weapon and a great one, but hurts more if it makes you loose out on something like a plasma gun. Given this, most people that don't house rule that you can swap equipment (I don't) tends to try to plan out their armament from the start. Also, Goliath is quite effective on low budget if they manage to get into CC, but considering their already high base cost it's IMO worth to get a good shooting weapon. They're never going to manage to be a horde gang like cawdor or escher and those extra 15c per fighter makes an auto-/lasgun wall a less valid option for them. They are however hard to take down so an expensive weapon is usually in somewhat resilient hands meaning you'll actually get the chans to shoot them.

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
Skills wise for the Goliath leader, I'm not a fan of overseer, on a small count gang you need every activation and your wasting your best ballistic skill and a close combat monster.

Nerves of steel is very effective but if you want a bit of variety and not to be accused of spamming other options to consider are

Iron will (I think that's it name). Allowing you to subtract 1 from the bottle roll keeps you safe from bottling which can be key for Goliath.

I also like unstoppable and am using it at the moment. Getting back up from down and or discarding flesh wounds is useful.

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
I disagree on the validity of Iron Will in this instance. Regardless what you do with my suggestions it looks like you're getting a quite large Goliath gang so bottling isn't as much of an issue. Especially since they have such a high Cool as well.

Unstoppable on the other hand is great. Especially coupled with stimms. I do however consider the ability to forgo getting pinned much more important for someone you have assigned to any possibility of CC duty. Being pinned means you can't charge and will likely never be able to be able to catch anyone on a shooting retreat. What you want to be able to do is either double move or move an shoot (to return the favour or even take them out) in those instances. It is a valid choice later on however, even though it till have to contend with T, W and M upgrades.

Last edited:

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
Totally agree nerve of steel is a key skill for anyone with access to ferocity skills. Pinning just ruins your day. In my last game(a gang moot) it would have made things very different. It's more something to consider if you want a bit of vairety.

Reactions: TabulaRasa