N18 New Goliath Gang

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Hello Everyone,

After browsing the forums for a bit and reading up on Goliath gangs, I had a go of making one to use in an upcoming campaign. Untill now I've only played a single campaign (under the NCE rules), and this one will be fought using the new rulebook... So I'm fairly new to Necromunda and would like to know if I'm on the right (or a feasible) path with this gang:

https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/goliath_1000_creds.45601/

My thinking is that the leader is pretty good at both shooting and fighting already, so he probably does not need a skill to help him out in that department. I did give him an axe so that he can look intimidating and chop up people that come near him. The 'overseer' skill looks really good to me; so I went with that instead. This is also why is have one Champ with a heavy bolter and the other loaded out for CQC; I think they will both be able to hold their own, and depending on the game I can keep one closer to the leader or vice versa to get the overseer 'order' and really go to town. The gangers will buddy up with the big boys; shotgunner goes along with the leader, grenade launcher stays with the heavy bolter, and the stubgun/axe guy follows the Renderizer around.

I still have 30 credits left so I could either get more weapons or upgrade a weapon, but I'm thinking I might save a little to use at the tradingpost after the first game.

Another part of my "plan" is to save up for a Sumpkroc because I like the model and would like to put him in the gang during the campaign. I'm not really sure if all of this will work, or if I should drop some equipment and take another ganger. So I'd be grateful for any and all tips & advice.

Last edited:

Oddsox

Ganger
Jul 15, 2015
Finchley, London
I just had a look over your list and I think you can make it a little better.

You want to have an overseer leader to get the most out of the heavy bolter. If you're going to do that, then most likely your leader is going to be giving up some activations and staying far away from the action. I'd drop the axe and save 10 credits there. Axes are pants and are for juves and gangers. He is good enough unarmed in combat for the first couple of games anyway if you're playing him as support / ranged. Or you do have a little left in the bank to give him a much better CC weapon.

Next we've got the heavy bolter champ. True grit as a skill? It's good, but would nerves of steel not be better? If you're worried about the cost of a double action to fire, then all your opponent needs to do is pin him and you're now forced to overseer just to use him to fire once. Not ideal. True grit will keep him alive longer but he's got a long ranged weapon and shouldn't be taking a lot of hits really.

Then comes renderizer champ. Does he need smoke grenades? I don't think he does. Save another 15 here by not giving him them.

Shotgun ganger, yet again with smoke nades... Again, don't think he needs them. In fact, this guy is shooting and doesn't have photo goggles, you're likely to be blocking your own shots instead of returning fire. I think you save another 15 by not giving them to him. Shotgun is a great weapon though.

Ganger with grenade launcher. Yes, I'm in favour of this. If anyone is going to get smoke grenades, put them on here! He can fire them out of the launcher and avoid taking the ammo test every time you fire.

Last ganger, axe, stub gun with dum dums. Close combat, probably intended to be paired with the renderizer guy to get stuck in. Do you need the pistol at all? If you don't take it you can use the creds later.

That should leave the following creds

30 (Your gang rating was only 970 to start) + 10 (From leader's axe dropped) + 30 (From 2 x smoke nades being dropped + 10 (stub gun anddum dums dropped)

80 creds left.

That's a new ganger with a stub cannon. Gives you 7 instead of 6 which is better for bottle rolls and just better in general due to how activations work. You've gone for a heavy bolter over everything else but at least this way if you're in a select crew 10 or whole gang scenario, you won't get totally out manoeuvred.

Just my two pence.

Reactions: SoothSayer

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Thanks for the feedback Oddsox, I had come to same realization about true grit; I haven't played much Necromunda so I didn't realize how easy he would be to pin. I'll change that in the roster for sure.

I was under the impression that grenades that can be used with the launcher are seperate from the regular 'hand' grenades? Or can I just buy a grenade as a launcher grenade? Either way the idea behind them was to help cover my advance, also the reason the shotgun ganger has them: I figured he would up close but not always trying to engage in combat, so he would be free to toss the grenade allowing the melee guys to move up further.

But dropping both grenades and the stubgun in favour an extra body sounds like a good idea. I was also thinking about taking knives instead of axes: against most gangs the extra Strength on the Axe isn't going to come into play, so maybe the extra -AP would be of more help?

DarkNwss

Ganger
Aug 21, 2016
Reading, UK
@Nuttowntau to put the link in there's a chain link in the top toolbar of the box where you type responses copy and paste the link into that and it should work

As for your gang from what I can tell, if bottle rolls are a concern due to lack of bodies Iron Will is the way to go, sure it means you're giving up overseer but you're more likely to stick around longer, I start all my gangs with 6 dudes and my leader never leaves home without it and it works wonders lol

Just my 2 cents on that really but I agree about the axe a power hammer just screams authority :p

Reactions: Nuttowntau
Nov 14, 2018
Carmarthen
Why are you bothering to give the leader anything if he is just overseeing? personally i would take something else and make use of your leader as he is the best shot in the gang?

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
This list is mainly based on what I think looks cool and on how to make it work in game (based on what I've read in the rulebook/forums).

Now, it might be a habit I picked up playing 40k that doesn't directly translate to Necromunda... but I like to build in a redundancy or two. So whilst the leader will often use overseer to boost the abilities of the champions, I imagine there will be plenty of situations where he would want to take a shot himself. Either because a target of opportunity presents itself, or because there are no viable candidates for overseer around.

Nov 14, 2018
Carmarthen
If dead set on it, i would take a stub cannon and give an extra ganger a stimmsurge kit so you have an extra body to charge in with so the champ doesn't get stranded without the back up.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
I've already built the gang, so those choices are locked in for now. I do still have 3 gangers on the sprue, so I might swap one out before the start of the campaign, but since no one in the campaign has played this edition before and we are a pretty laid back group to begin with I'm not to worried about it.

SoothSayer

Juve
Jul 21, 2018
Lisle, IL, USA
I know how often everyone talks about how good overseer is but honestly it's done to death and is not fun. I now always coach new players to pretty much ignore it as it quickly dulls the game. My last campaigns not one of the 9 players took it in any of their gangs and everyone has enjoyed it more. I'm not suggesting ban it but I encourage everyone to play without it at least once.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
I know how often everyone talks about how good overseer is but honestly it's done to death and is not fun. I now always coach new players to pretty much ignore it as it quickly dulls the game. My last campaigns not one of the 9 players took it in any of their gangs and everyone has enjoyed it more. I'm not suggesting ban it but I encourage everyone to play without it at least once.
That's something to keep in mind, it is mainly there to allow the Heavy Bolter to move and fire. As I Imagine my opponents will try to stay out of it's LoS, which I guess will be easy to do when playing ZM. We might eventually get into sector mechanicum but we don't have a whole lot of terrain at the club yet. Although we did get two of the big boxes of magnavents/boxes to supplement the ruins we have.

Along with a sumpkroc (which I didn't realize was a rare trade when I ordered it..) the H-Bolter makes up the core of "things that'll look cool on the table" that the gang is built around. Although the renderizer is pretty high up that list too.

To me 'Overseer' seems to be pretty much mandatory to keep the H-bolter in the game and not sitting about staring down an empty corridor. But maybe I'm overestimating how much it needs to move to get shots off.

Reactions: SoothSayer
Nov 14, 2018
Carmarthen
I run a house rule that bulging biceps removes unwieldy on ranged weapons (as from previous editions) as I think new version makes it a pointless skill and muscle is already pretty useless apart from that...
And like Soothsayer said it does make the game boring, also makes you too reliant, especially if you playing someone clever who will target your overseer either by rolling to choose priority or the shooting skill that removes it.
Bear in mind in the old system it was always move or fire with no option for suspensors and they still ruled the game.

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
No you can't use regular grenades as ammo for your launcher. So smoke grenades on the launcher isn't an option available from the start. Apart from that smoke grenades is an important wargear for a budding Goliath gang. They sometimes have a hard time covering the ground to get close enough for CC and a smoke grenade and to crawl up in cover is something that tends to work.

A fourth ganger would probably be a great idea. Especially if you're playing a dominion campaign as this will let you recruit a free juve on the roll of a 6 on the Settlement. I would probably go for one with an axe and a pistol though, since you will want some extra support for the renderizer (put the smoke here as soon as possible).

Personally I think it might be better to just stick the heavy bolter on the leader and just forgo the whole overseer thing. Most of what you'll get out of that skill is the ability to aim or to move and fire. The aiming part you'll get covered by the better BS of the leader and the moving around part will sort itself out as soon as you can get the funds for a suspensor. Sure you'll not have the option of firing twice, but instead it frees up your champion to do something else that he's better at (like CC).

I ran a list in my groups last campaign that at start consisted of:

Leader
Heavy bolter

Champ
Chainsword, Stub gun

Champ
Chainsword, Stub gun

Ganger
Grenade Launcher

Ganger
Boltgun

Ganger
Axe, Stub gun, Smoke

Ganger
Axe, Stub gun, Smoke

The sad thing with running this was that it contributed to our groups arms race and that more and more games was won by special and heavy weapons. This made it a bit boring, and if we start a new campaign we're looking at a system for restricting spec and heavy.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Having just finished a campaign with a Goliath leader with boltgun and overseer can I strongly suggest you not do it.

It’s not because it’s overpowered either, but rather that it is a waste of such a good close combat monster.

There is nothing quite as satisfying as charging a power hammer and plasma pistol wielding leader into combat to get 5 WS3+ ST5 attacks. It’s a simple pleasure you can’t truly replicate (except with a charging stimm slugged champion 3 WS3+ ST8 attacks).

I also found that with just one BS3+ shooter you are so outgunned you just need to get up the board and hit things.

I would suggest moving the boltgun to a regular ganger and the shotgun to your leader at this stage and look to pick up a chainsword and bolt or plasmapistol for the leader.

I would also change the two gangers from knives and stub guns to stub cannons. This might seem odd but in the early stages you will want your gangers taking as many shots as possible at the other gang to hope to pin them while your close combat leader and champ get into combat.

The leader and champ are unlikely to be overwhelmed in close combat at the start and stub cannon armed gangers are still better than most other gangs champions in close combat if they charge.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll keep it in mind as I go forward, but since the gang has already been built and I'm almost done painting them I won't be changing much of the wargear before the campaign starts. I could drop overseer for another skill but the more I think of it the more possible uses I see for overseer outside of keeping the HBolter in play.

Bran: the only 'houserule' we have for the campaign so far is that smoke grenades can be thrown just like regular grenades. Since none of us have played the new edition of the game yet we agreed that we would used the "downtime" phase of the campaign to discuss and add any houserules. So changing bulging biceps before the start of the campaign isn't an option. I also just don't see how overseer will make the gang boring to play; if I find that the leader doesn't need to sit next to the heavy bolter all game to keep it effective, he can simply move up with other parts of the gang. That way he can either fight or use overseer to allow other members of the gang to make unsuspected manoeuvres. If anything it'll allow for more varied plays and tactics.

Tabula: I'm not sure how I'm suposed to link to the gang, I'm fairly certain I did it the way I'm supossed to but it seems not to be working for some people. Either way the 4th ganger has been on the roster for a while. Adding him did mean dropping the smoke grenades, I plan on buying some after the first game. I get that the leader's higher BS makes him a good candidate for the H-Bolter, but that sounds like a far more boring choice than overseer to me.

Almic: doesn't the leader only have a single extra attack? The difference with a champion doesn't strike me as all that big. Now I'm certain he'll get a nasty melee weapon and a pistol as the campaign progresses. The only reason I dropped his weapon was because I needed the points for the 4th ganger, and because people kept saying he didn't need one early game because he would kill the average ganger with his bare hands. Building the leader and both champions as melee monsters just seems like overkill to me: if a ganger with a stubcannon is still better in CC "than most other gang champions", why wouldn't I arm them with a knife and send them in? They aren't stellar shots, and the stubcannon doesn't do much to remedy that. So to me it seems they are more likely to take someone out of action in melee.

As I see it the leader will be able to perform a variety of roles during the first few games: he can fight and beat most other models with his bare hands, he can shoot a reasonably long way with his boltgun, or he can use overseer to allow other models to manoeuvre or simply do damage. The dynamic will most likely change during the campaign as I roll advances and buy/find wargear, but adjusting to deal with or take advantage of the random stuff that happens is part of the fun.

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
Yes, the link doesn’t work for me. If you have knives on stub cannons I would suggest dropping them in favor of smoke. You can get them after the first game just as well (if you feel you need them).

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I haven’t realised that the drop in fighting knife points had dropped the combo to less than a stub cannon.

The overseer skill is super useful I just found that having my leader at the back not acting was too much of a great fighter to not be moving up the field.

If you keep overseer I would use him in the first turn to quadruple move the tenderiser champ up the field first turn. Second turn is move up and shoot with the boltgun as the heavy bolter has double moved ahead. Third turn is move up and shoot with bolter as the heavy bolter has hopefully shot. Fourth turn is double action the heavy bolter as you are hopefully close enough now and the heavy bolter is able to shoot someone twice.

Try and get a suspension or servo rig for the heavy bolter as soon as possible so you can move and shoot every turn.

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
I haven’t realised that the drop in fighting knife points had dropped the combo to less than a stub cannon.

The overseer skill is super useful I just found that having my leader at the back not acting was too much of a great fighter to not be moving up the field.

If you keep overseer I would use him in the first turn to quadruple move the tenderiser champ up the field first turn. Second turn is move up and shoot with the boltgun as the heavy bolter has double moved ahead. Third turn is move up and shoot with bolter as the heavy bolter has hopefully shot. Fourth turn is double action the heavy bolter as you are hopefully close enough now and the heavy bolter is able to shoot someone twice.

Try and get a suspension or servo rig for the heavy bolter as soon as possible so you can move and shoot every turn.
I think this could be valid, but it is situational imo. And the range of the heavy bolter will mean that it should be possible to find targets already in the first turn depending on los.