New Here

Monsterzero

Dec 21, 2022
Hello all. New here. 1st post.

After a LONG time away from Necromunda (original game in 93-94 ish) I’ve decided to get back into it.

Yaktribe keeps popping up in Reddit forums so here I am.

My ex threw out every that I had from the original game when we split. Some terrain and an Esher, Delaque, Goliath, Ratskin and Spire gangs. A long with a couple old 40k armies. Soooooo I’ve figured that Hive Wars and a rule book will be a good place to start. For some reason I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I’ve got a long way to build my things back up but I’m getting pretty excited.

Any other restart advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

I had a similar long hiatus from Necromunda before coming back to the game a few years ago. Honestly, I'd recommend just picking up the free Necromunda Community Edition ("NCE") ruleset and running with that. You should be able to find a copy of NCE in the Vault on this site. It has some improvements over the original game from the mid-90s, but is instantly familiar.

The new rules being released now (and since 2017) are quite different, and - in my opinion - are a hot mess in their official format. However, many of the new plastic miniatures for the game are fantastic. If you do decide to go for the Newcromunda game, I'd recommend picking up the hardcover rulebook and a copy of Gangs Of The Underhive (if you can find it used somewhere, as I believe it is now out of print). Those two books provide a decently straightforward game without having to invest in a small library.

Thank you. I’ll try and see if I can find a copy of that book somewhere. It’s unfortunate that it’s out of print.

Thank you. I’ll try and see if I can find a copy of that book somewhere. It’s unfortunate that it’s out of print.
I’d second getting a copy of the NCE from here too. After all it’s completely free so if you were familiar with the original it’ll be easier to pick up and play.

For the new stuff you could certainly get those two books if you can find them OR you could just follow your instinct and get the Hive War box. Why? Well it includes a fair amount of stuff in its Rulebook, certainly all the basic rules are there as are the six house gangs in a form similar to GotU.

If you like the game then you can pick up a house book for those you want and go from there OR *cough* *cough* you could have a look at this forum thread which may help you in a similar manner to the NCE.

Thread 'Bookromunda (complete house rules)'
https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/bookromunda-complete-house-rules.9513/

What people will say is that HW doesn’t have a campaign. That’s No loss, they keep making up new ones so if you want to you can get any of those (most recent are Ash Wastes and Cinderak Burning). TBH none of them are partially balanced or designed to run more than about 7 weeks so you may be better off just playing a few linked skirmishes until you’re at full speed with the game.

Welcome to the 'tribe.

Like others have said, you don't have to buy in to the latest releases. It's still possible to play old Necromunda. Though I will sound a note of caution: this very much depends on who, if anyone, you intend to play with. It's much easier to turn up at a club or store and find someone to play the current game with than to find someone playing - or willing to play - the original or NCE rules.

I’d second getting a copy of the NCE from here too. After all it’s completely free so if you were familiar with the original it’ll be easier to pick up and play.

For the new stuff you could certainly get those two books if you can find them OR you could just follow your instinct and get the Hive War box. Why? Well it includes a fair amount of stuff in its Rulebook, certainly all the basic rules are there as are the six house gangs in a form similar to GotU.

If you like the game then you can pick up a house book for those you want and go from there OR *cough* *cough* you could have a look at this forum thread which may help you in a similar manner to the NCE.

Thread 'Bookromunda (complete house rules)'
https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/bookromunda-complete-house-rules.9513/

What people will say is that HW doesn’t have a campaign. That’s No loss, they keep making up new ones so if you want to you can get any of those (most recent are Ash Wastes and Cinderak Burning). TBH none of them are partially balanced or designed to run more than about 7 weeks so you may be better off just playing a few linked skirmishes until you’re at full speed with the game.
My intention is to get the Hive War box set. It has two of my favorite gangs in it. And the Hardback rule book.

If those aren’t under the tree than I’ll end up buying them in the next couple weeks

Reactions: Greenthumb
The good: It's a demo rulebook so probably the easiest starting point.
The bad: It's a demo rulebook. It is simpler and varies somewhat from the full game. No trading post, no juves, no campaign etc.
The ugly: It has wrong stats, wrong costs, limited and different set of skills. Gangs are similar to how it was in 2018, but not identical. It references a skill that isn't included in the book. It has a skill that doesn't exist anywhere else (in the full game)... and so forth.

Sooner or later you'll notice some of these weird things, they are all documented here if interested:

All that said and done, you can have fun games with hive war so go ahead if you are ok with a bumpy ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. M