New models incoming

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
These dire wolves are finally good undead wolves. And after seeing the wolves attending grandma vampire, I am excited to see that after all these decades, GW finally found somebody who can sculpt wolves that do not look like rats or deformed mastiffs.

The old "why not just use skeletons" zombie wolves were what stopped me from getting into Vampire Counts around 6th-7th edition of WHFB, because you needed to field at least 15 of them back then, and boy howdy are those weird models. Won't even say ugly, they're just bizarre. Especially because the lore wasn't updated for the new models and read something like "These emaciated wolves look almost like they are already decaying" ...almost? That one's bloody arse just fell off!?

So using the goblin rider wolves was a common move, they were pretty static but at least looked like, well, wolves.

Zugg Zugg

Gang Champion
Oct 4, 2019
Shimane
risingsun-es.com
I
I don't know if I missed a picture in this thread, but finally got a look at the new Dire Wolves. Have to admit, they're pretty darned cool! If not for the fact that I already have 20+ wolves from the old Goblin Wolf Riders (didn't like the old dire wolves), I might be tempted.
I like them a lot too. Much better than the old ones.

Zugg Zugg

Gang Champion
Oct 4, 2019
Shimane
risingsun-es.com
Speaking of the undead. I still don't know what I think of the vampire dragon bat centaur. All the components are cool but together it really doesn't float my boat. The vampire torso is great. The dragon bat body is great. The alternative vampire torso is great too. I suspect it's another case of if it's in my hands I'll think it's great but as long as I just look at a picture of it I'll think it's wierd

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
Day 2 reveals...

I like Agathae Dolan (yup, the little assistant to the banner bearer; she'd make a good Imperial Missionary model) and the Sacresants. The Palatine is also nice, but it isn't strictly speaking new since it was released last July in the Piety and Pain box.

I'm intrigued as to how the forces of 40k have gone from Dreadnaughts and Sentinels with [checks notes] fully enclosed armour to protect the pilot to Nundams with the pilot on show for all to see and shoot at. The removal of armour to display the drivers/gunners is also apparent in some of the other Primaris vehicles of late (is it because they're taller and therefore heavier, so they need to take the weight out of the vehicles to compensate?).

Thankfully, I can skip watching today's reveals, since it's going to be Black Library, which I couldn't care about.

Reactions: Tiny

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
Speaking of the undead. I still don't know what I think of the vampire dragon bat centaur. All the components are cool but together it really doesn't float my boat. The vampire torso is great. The dragon bat body is great. The alternative vampire torso is great too. I suspect it's another case of if it's in my hands I'll think it's great but as long as I just look at a picture of it I'll think it's wierd

My thoughts approximately. The parts all look cool, but I have a hard time picturing this thing moving, especially as it's supposed to fly. Either the torso folds WAY back or that Vampire is going to suffer neck pain from looking straight up all the time whenever they take off, undead or not.

A lot of the newer monster sculpts by GW are great, but with this thing, I can't shake the feeling they plopped a vampire on a headless Varghulf in a 3d modelling tool by mistake, liked the idea and just called it a day this time.

Zugg Zugg

Gang Champion
Oct 4, 2019
Shimane
risingsun-es.com
Looking at the new releases slated for aos I can see clearly what I loved about fantasy battle. It's the understatement of the fantasy element. The best part was in a world of dragons, magic and great beasts the wars were fought by large blobs of magic less foot sloggers.
My thoughts approximately. The parts all look cool, but I have a hard time picturing this thing moving, especially as it's supposed to fly. Either the torso folds WAY back or that Vampire is going to suffer neck pain from looking straight up all the time whenever they take off, undead or not.

A lot of the newer monster sculpts by GW are great, but with this thing, I can't shake the feeling they plopped a vampire on a headless Varghulf in a 3d modelling tool by mistake, liked the idea and just called it a day this time.
You hit the nail on the head as to why it looks off. The body is on the wrong place.

Last edited:

Zugg Zugg

Gang Champion
Oct 4, 2019
Shimane
risingsun-es.com
The Captain actually fixed the vampire thingy. It makes a lovely vampire and a lovely varghulf or vargheist!
Yeah I can see that. Well I have some sisters if silence legs around the place maybe that'll fit well with the female vamp. You could probably add the zombie ogre from cursed city to make it a zombie dragon ogre

Reactions: Unslain and MedMos

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
GW, you sneaky beggars, putting Gaunts Ghosts models out on "Black Library Wednesday"...

Possibly the best minis this week; a little bit of Foot On Root, but generally very dynamic, well-posed minis, depending on price point I might get a box (or even two).

There was something else about books today, but I'm not bothered about those.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
Culemborg, the Netherlands
GW, you sneaky beggars, putting Gaunts Ghosts models out on "Black Library Wednesday"...

Possibly the best minis this week; a little bit of Foot On Root, but generally very dynamic, well-posed minis, depending on price point I might get a box (or even two).

There was something else about books today, but I'm not bothered about those.
They looked amazing, and I didn’t even read the Gaunt‘s Ghosts novels so far.

Anyone else notice the Volpone on the book cover and the model of Corbec have distinctly Cadian-style armour? Makes me hope that this is a prelude to new plastic guard, base box Cadian-style, with multiple heads and then Space Marine/Necromunda-style upgrade sprues to make other regiments. Becomes a lot easier if the basic armour and uniform of most worlds is a (modernized version of) the Cadian uniform, and it’s mostly hats and smaller decorations that make the difference between units.

Would certainly work for most classic regiments (Tallarn, Mordian, Tanith, even Steel Legion) except those in greatcoats (Valhallans, DKOK, Vostroyans) and Catachans.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Group pic:
oL6Fc2lUuvdDxcvD.jpg

And link (with individual pics)

Gunkaiser

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Thing is that Volpone Bluebloods don't have Cadian-style armor unless it's Kasrkin derived. They're always described as heavy infantry in carapace.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
Culemborg, the Netherlands
Thing is that Volpone Bluebloods don't have Cadian-style armor unless it's Kasrkin derived. They're always described as heavy infantry in carapace.
I can see that, but look at the cover itself:

Apart from the officer in the back, the other two and in particular the grunt in front really look like they’re wearing Cadian-style armour and fatigues (and lasguns!) to me. The women has fancy greaves but that’s the only main diffence, really. It could of course be that the figures on the cover aren’t actually Volpone but that would seem very weird tome.