New models incoming

Aug 8, 2015
Filthydelphia
Look, mebbe its the antihistamines typing, I've been waiting for the Delaques, distracting myself with the Goliath, dallying with Escher, discovering the Van Saar and dredging up the Cawdor.
So I am over the moon, and yet deeply concerned.
Nacht-ghuls? Sure, lets get up close & assassin-y!! Sounds Great! The models look good, but what's up wit the awkward lobster back armor a la old timey gene stealer cult? How is dat stealthy?
Psy-Gheists? Cool Idea! Young unsanctioned psykers you say? It's a "little young x-men" but ok, run it up the flagpole. Snake headed mechadendrites? Sure why not? It's just too bad these models suck. Like 9th season of X-files suck. If you took Close Encounters of 3rd Kind aliens [or Paul} and dragged them through the steampunk section of ComicCon suck. 2 out of 5. shame.
Psycoteric Worms? aren't they my college funk band? After the cyber mastiff & robohawk we're just gonna tinplate the entire pet store? @ least the bomb rats made sense. Great. Bring out the
steam-powered razor bunnies & fission powered goats.
Piscean Spektors? Looks like someone in marketing has been watching the Matrix, which is only bothersome coz it's such an easy leap from trentchcoats to that movie. Let's be generous and call it an homage. That said this model is awesome!!!! It'll be a bullet magnet, a grenade catching, rivet stopping, AOE weapon sponge of a Macy's day parade float, but daaaamn it look good.

The cover art. When did the Pillsbury Doughboys get recruited into MI-5??

All that aside: I am still very hopefull & excited for the new stuff in this book.

Malevolent Pink Cat

Gang Champion
Jan 10, 2019
Can they even copyright Latin? Although I doubt anyone else would even want to call their stuff 'Star Army'... (seriously why not call them Custodes Imperialis or something like that, i.e. the same name just in Latin).

Does Astra Militarum even make sense?

My Latin is rusty, but doesn't it mean "The of the Army the Stars"? Aren't the cases backwards? Shouldn't it be Astrorum Militae (i.e. the Of the Stars the Army, or less literally, the Army of the Stars?)?

• Wow
Reactions: McToast

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Does Necromunda now inhabit an alternate universe like Blood Bowl? Because it looks like house Delaque will be due a visit from the Inquisition rather soon.
Not to mention those black ships that drop off and pickup those sisters in the spire

Edit... obviously was a little late to this party

Edit edit @InquisitorVex summed it up pretty well for me

Last edited:
Reactions: Trafalgar Law

Pagumb

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
I’m planning to make an Inquisition gang from the Book of Shadow. Hopefully I can come up with some decent proxies for the different gangers, hangers, brutes, etc.

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I like the new Delaque models, I just don’t know how they fit into the gang in terms of fluff and gameplay. What are they giving me to counter stimmers and death maidens in close combat or Van Saar gangers with lasguns.

The spider champ gives off some nice malcadon spyrer vibes and he certainly looks like he can do something in close combat. I am just concerned about how he is going to get there.

The katana champ gives off some matrix vibes, but reminds me of a specific Heresy Miniatures model. Same issue as the other champ though, how do I get him into combat?

I’m going to guess they have infiltrate and/or falsehoods or chameleoline cloaks.

The juves are a bit odd again. They look cool in a skaven experimental weapon kind of way but i don’t see how they fit the sneaky bit of the gang.

The guy wearing the snake suit and holding the mechanical snake quite obviously controls the mechanical snakes. I wonder if the snakes will work something like bomb rats but drop psychic explosions or possible extend their juves psychos reach.

The flying lady has a ghast injector mask, which is cool, so I am expecting that she will be a more traditional psyker like a mini spyker. What’s interesting is that she shares the arms with the fish ghost.

Which brings me to the last model, the fish ghost. It looks cool, but surely a large number of floating mechanical octopi would raise concerns with the planetary leadership. What’s cool about the model though is that it shares parts with the floating psychic. The arms are obvious but it also shares the blue tubes that run into the brain as well as the cloak texture (look at its back). This makes me think the fish ghost might actually be the brains of two juves psykers surgically connected together to make them more powerful.

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Isn't the Spektor just the robosquid thing already featured in GotU? Or is it new like the cat lizards that were Phyrr cats only not?

It’s got a new name so my guess is that it’s a new thing entirely. The old pet was a cephalopod Spekter the new pet is a Piscean Spektor. Close enough that it could just be a rebranding of the old pet, but different enough that it could be its own thing.

Reactions: BearsWillEatYou
1987 mail order mini is going well beyond a deep dive into old school lore and I love the inspiration.

Sort of like the ambot:

E: the stream mentioned that a rogue trader era alien brain is housed within the floating squid robot.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2015
Filthydelphia
Does Necromunda now inhabit an alternate universe like Blood Bowl? Because it looks like house Delaque will be due a visit from the Inquisition rather soon.

Not to mention the vat-grown unsanctioned abhumans... Interestingly, the least offensive to the Imperium (beyond the worryingly normal Orlocks) would be the Cawdor, while those are perhaps the most mistrusted out of the clan houses by House Helmawr (considering the position of the Church of Redemption). That perhaps says a lot about the relationship between the rulers of Necromunda (and possibly more of the truly ancient Hive Worlds) and the Imperium. I sort of can imagine the relationship really is “make the tithe, and we don’t ask too many questions”. I assume a real military campaign on Necromunda would have a significant impact on the economy of the sector and perhaps even the entire Segmentum Solar, which is probably not acceptable if it can be avoided. Consider a similar hive world like Armageddon and how completely unwilling the Imperium is to just consider it a loss, even after the Ork invasion was compounded by Daemonic incursion.

The Imperium is hypocritical from top-to-bottom, so turning a blind eye to heresy to preserve the status quo of Necromunda pumping out arms is very much in character.

All really valid points, BUT...
HTH does a bunch Delaque get ahold of piece a cybertech with an xenos brain from [presumedly] several hundred years prior ?
I can see smuggled xenotech weapons from the Cold Trade, I can see recruited young unsanctioned psykers, I can see the odd frankensteinian psyker/mutie secret lab experiment,
AND even [mebbe] see the hidden-way-deep-down-under-the-sump Lovecraftian otherworldly horror Hidden from EVERYBODY else as hinted to in recent articles/lore.
What i CANNOT buy is ALL of this sh*t together!!! It's a bit much, don'tcha think? AND Don't hand me that " well it's part of the disinformation/lies that Delaque cultivate" coz thats feeling
like a mighty flimsy crutch to bear all this. It's starting to feel like some developer is suddenly coasting on the very book I've been waiting for...

Still enjoying this tho.

BTW that Saharduin mini is pretty cool. I've always wish there were more xenos fig from the lore, not necessarily armies, just most xenos.

Sobek

Gang Champion
Jul 22, 2018
Germany
My Latin is rusty, but doesn't it mean "The of the Army the Stars"? Aren't the cases backwards? Shouldn't it be Astrorum Militae (i.e. the Of the Stars the Army, or less literally, the Army of the Stars?)?

„Romans go home.“
- People‘s Front of Judea

That said, I think the models are pretty bad AND I still don‘t get why they did not go for a darker, more menacing colour scheme (black leather trenchcoats, silvers/dark steel, pale skin) instead of this brown/red/yellow circus.
In the books released so far, the Delaque art was really creepy, but the models were... hhhmmm... and those gigantic weapons? They don’t really look like sneaky spies.

But the basic design I like a lot, like 7,5 feet tall Slendermen, their humanity removed even more with no hair and artificial eyes. That’s spooky!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zugg Zugg and Tiny

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
What I remember from my school Latin is that word arrangement in Latin sentences is a lot less restrictive than in English, let alone my native German. So if I remember more or less correctly, it doesn't matter if it's e.g. Senex Antiquus or Antiquus Senex.

Also the question is always: Which Latin? Archaic Latin? Latin from the time of the first Republic? The empire? Church Latin? Early or late? Vulgar variant?

Reactions: Trafalgar Law

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
What I remember from my school Latin is that word arrangement in Latin sentences is a lot less restrictive than in English, let alone my native German. So if I remember more or less correctly, it doesn't matter if it's e.g. Senex Antiquus or Antiquus Senex.

Also the question is always: Which Latin? Archaic Latin? Latin from the time of the first Republic? The empire? Church Latin? Early or late? Vulgar variant?
You are correct, most latin words have multiple forms depending on how they are conjugated or declined. Word order could follow certain conventions but often would not affect meaning.

McToast

Juve
Mar 7, 2021
Germany
Does Astra Militarum even make sense?

I think you're actually right. If I'm not mistaken (it's been a couple years since I last read a latin text), "Astra Militarum" means, literally, "the stars of the military services" (lol). So it'd have to be Milites Astrorum (Soldiers of the Stars), Militia Astrorum (military service of the stars), Legio Astrorum (Army of the stars) or Legio Astris (Army in the stars).

You've just opened my eyes to a whole new level of GW stupidity. I guess they'd explain it away with "gothic latin" or something like that.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
You've just opened my eyes to a whole new level of GW stupidity. I guess they'd explain it away with "gothic latin" or something like that.

Will point one thing out here: To my knowledge, that is nothing new. GW Latin has always been hilariously bad to the point where it became an in-joke in the past and was at least partially intentional.

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
I think you're actually right. If I'm not mistaken (it's been a couple years since I last read a latin text), "Astra Militarum" means, literally, "the stars of the military services" (lol). So it'd have to be Milites Astrorum (Soldiers of the Stars), Militia Astrorum (military service of the stars), Legio Astrorum (Army of the stars) or Legio Astris (Army in the stars).

Priestly's designers notes in the Rogue Trader 40,000 book describe it as Latinised English, an amalgamation not intended as proper Latin.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
Culemborg, the Netherlands

It’s never been Latin, it’s High Gothic. Just like all the English is actually supposed to be Low Gothic. In the case of High Gothic it being faux-Latin really works, I think, because it was originally meant to be a tongue-in-cheek reference to the medieval Catholic church. Often, to modern ears, actual Latin sounds off, while mumbo-jumbo latin looks better. Doesn’t apply to actual classicists but how many of those are there compared to other people? Besides, it’d actually be less believable to me if people in the 41st millennium spoke actual correct Latin. Then it’s suddenly the actual Roman empire in space and that’s just weird. Same goes for all the English, but that’s just a linguistic convention so we can actually understand what they’re saying (I believe Low Gothic is actually supposed to be a future amalgamation of English, Mandarin, and a few dozen other world languages, and then evolved for about 40,000 years...).

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Priestly's designers notes in the Rogue Trader 40,000 book describe it as Latinised English, an amalgamation not intended as proper Latin.

Once upon a time when I was 16 and actually able to read entire texts in Latin, thanks to my likeable but absolutely ruthless Latin teacher (thanks Kitty, I can still recite Seneca by heart), I tried reading the Latin on some John Blanche illustrations, and well, it was nonsense, but as @Crazy Ivan said, it sounded cool when you read it out loud.