New models incoming

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Hero
Mar 6, 2018
Where the heck do you find unopened copies of these things?

Occasionally, for example, on ebay sometimes. However, the prices called up there are usually correspondingly extreme. So I wouldn't buy that either. And probably just as some have old and unpainted miniatures at home.

In individual cases also in my closet. For example, I still have an OVP Space Hulk (third generation) from 2009. I bought that at the time, but for professional and time reasons I never got around to dealing with it. In between you forget it for a while or other interests are and become more important. Or you buy something in advance and need less, or your plans change.

It will and should probably be similar with other hobbyists who still have old boxes or untouched sprues or miniatures.

In the meantime, however, I sometimes have the impression that some boxes today are purposely bought and put back in order to be able to offer them later on at a high price on ebay.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
In the meantime, however, I sometimes have the impression that some boxes today are purposely bought and put back in order to be able to offer them later on at a high price on ebay.

That is absolutely something that's come about in the past decade or so. Purposefully buying a bunch of something specifically to get a profit when they're no longer available. Particularly rife with wargaming, star wars toys and lego kits. Even things like people buying a dozen copies of Imperium magazine to sell the constituent parts online for more.

I only really mind this when people can't get something because of scalpers buying them all. If everyone who wants one can still get one for a while after release I don't mind it so much.

Confession time - I even admit I did it myself when the SNES mini came out - My local Tesco of all places had six on the shelf when they were selling for two or three times RRP on eBay, so I bought three of them and paid for christmas that year wit the profit.

• Wow
Reactions: MusingWarboss

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Y’know @Sundown Dreamer I almost brought a copy of Space Hulk when it had been re-re-issued (shortly after they “discovered” a whole pallet of them at the back of the warehouse). I had it in the cart on GWs website but then I had a weird moment of clarity and thought ‘you’ll never do anything with this’ and consequently didn’t buy it.

I regret nothing.

Confession time - I even admit I did it myself when the SNES mini came out - My local Tesco of all places had six on the shelf when they were selling for two or three times RRP on eBay, so I bought three of them and paid for christmas that year wit the profit.

Invasion-of-the-Body-Snatchers-Featured-Image.jpg

Crazy. A local Sainsbury’s still had three on its shelf towards the end of 2019. I gather Nintendo made loads of them after the NES debacle.

Will people ever learn not to panic on FOMO?

(A: No, apparently. See: toilet roll, flour, rice, pasta, baked beans and recently petrol/diesel).

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Anyone wanting a unit of Stig Shamblers?

Pagumb

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Sep 10, 2020
Anyone wanting a unit of Stig Shamblers?

Excellent find. Bet those gunners only forget to duck for the backswing once…

Scavvierising

Reigning ThunderCube Champion
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Not new exactly but I just noticed that Amazon and Khemri bloodbowl teams are currently made to order. Two days left.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Not new exactly but I just noticed that Amazon and Khemri bloodbowl teams are currently made to order. Two days left.
Yeah...im in 2 minds. Even if inpaint em up I'll likely never play with them so prob wont bother

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I really like the old Amazon models but... will I ever use them? I have a Skaven team I've still not painted. I've never played modern Blood Bowl. Will I ever paint them? I can't decide! Aargh! Maybe order a set, wait six months and ebay them for twice the value like a dirty scalper!

Reactions: Pagumb

Pagumb

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Sep 10, 2020
Reminds me I bought the Norse team around the time the Amazons originally were released...only ever played one game of Blood Bowl myself.

The poses for both metal teams are soooo static. It is one area in which the new boxed game warbands/teams models have really improved. A sprinting model actually looks like it's running. If I were more sensitive I'd worry that GW was mocking my limited dancing ability. "Lean left...not too far...opposite arm up for balance...now the other way...steady man...now when we come back left lets try leaning back instead of forward but keep the arms in the same position...it's working man...somebody's going home alone tonight!"

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
WGA now have a Death Fields weapon sprue up for pre-order. £4.50.

Reactions: MusingWarboss

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Reminds me I bought the Norse team around the time the Amazons originally were released...only ever played one game of Blood Bowl myself.

The poses for both metal teams are soooo static. It is one area in which the new boxed game warbands/teams models have really improved. A sprinting model actually looks like it's running. If I were more sensitive I'd worry that GW was mocking my limited dancing ability. "Lean left...not too far...opposite arm up for balance...now the other way...steady man...now when we come back left lets try leaning back instead of forward but keep the arms in the same position...it's working man...somebody's going home alone tonight!"

It’s worth noting here that the Khemri skeletons are multipart metal with separate legs, torsos, arms and heads. So they are fairly adjustable in terms of how they get built.

That said metal skeletons are also supposed to be one of the most annoying things to put together because of the limited surface area for glue and the difficulty of pinning them.

The poses for bloodbowl back in the day were fairly universal across teams so it was easy to understand what they all were from across the table (which is something the new boxes lack).

Blitzers were always the side on flex pose.
Linemen were always front on semi squatting pose.
Throwers were always hiding a ball and usually in the start of throw pose.
Catchers were always either running or jumping for the ball.

Amazons muck this up by switching the blitzer and lineman pose for some inexplicable reason, but nearly every other team follows that convention.

Reactions: Stoof and Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Not sure whether this is true, but I heard the metal Khemri skeletons were originally designed to go with the plastic TK skeletons of the time - like they'd been intended as a plastic upgrade sprue, rather than being made in metal. I guess it wasn't deemed worthwhile to make a plastic mold, but it would have made the models themselves more practical.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Not sure whether this is true, but I heard the metal Khemri skeletons were originally designed to go with the plastic TK skeletons of the time - like they'd been intended as a plastic upgrade sprue, rather than being made in metal. I guess it wasn't deemed worthwhile to make a plastic mold, but it would have made the models themselves more practical.

Supposedly they still are compatible with the plastic skeletons.

Not sure if I believe it though.