New models incoming

Jul 15, 2020
YT is one of only three places I post, I quit FB and reddit because of the kind of censorship / rigging just mentioned.

The mods here are so chill they even let us ramble off topic! Perfect for me... but I bet some people here just want the model opinions and chat. The Sump thread is supposed to contain the more extreme rants and grumps and manifestos. I could have it either way, same faces in the room generally.

Squats? Glad they are back for the sake of others and my sense of completeness. I've had my main factions abandoned, nerfed, and twisted around like anyone, but nothing ever that severe!

But these widebois aren't for me. If you want to tickle my nostalgia wallet-lever, then get in there and do it!

I did not ask for Starcraft astronauts driving Metal Slug contraptions. I wanted old school dudes that looked the kind of men I used to be afraid to talk to but they all have engineering degrees. Like bros who could install Linux on a watch while piss drunk and covered in post it notes and coal dust.

Pure white armor like WTF folks.... ;) y'all just silly sometimes. Not in my sumpyard!

Chaos impressions later.

Condottiero Magno

Gang Champion
Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
YT is one of only three places I post, I quit FB and reddit because of the kind of censorship / rigging just mentioned.

The mods here are so chill they even let us ramble off topic! Perfect for me... but I bet some people here just want the model opinions and chat. The Sump thread is supposed to contain the more extreme rants and grumps and manifestos. I could have it either way, same faces in the room generally.

Squats? Glad they are back for the sake of others and my sense of completeness. I've had my main factions abandoned, nerfed, and twisted around like anyone, but nothing ever that severe!

But these widebois aren't for me. If you want to tickle my nostalgia wallet-lever, then get in there and do it!

I did not ask for Starcraft astronauts driving Metal Slug contraptions. I wanted old school dudes that looked the kind of men I used to be afraid to talk to but they all have engineering degrees. Like bros who could install Linux on a watch while piss drunk and covered in post it notes and coal dust.

Pure white armor like WTF folks.... ;) y'all just silly sometimes. Not in my sumpyard!

Chaos impressions later.
IIRC, there will be several sub-factions of Squats, so biker bros and shiny boys.

Condottiero Magno

Gang Champion
Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
The pre-order period is till the 20th of May, so if you want to grab yourself a discounted Orc shaman or a samurai goblin, don't hesitate! I pre-ordered the unsigned prints, as I'm hoping to track down Gary Chalk in the future! 😉

Cadwe objective marker, previously a freebie for those ordering $40 worth of product in the first 72 hours, is now available for pre-order at $5.99 and I think free shipping is still available for US customers. The objective marker or tropaeum is 45mm tall and based on Gary Chalk's artwork, that guy whose illustrations were in the WFB 3rd Edition books.

s242422006723788424_p48_i2_w1800.jpg

Ferox The Gladiator, based on Gary Chalk's drawing, is a variant of the Cadwallon gladiator that was mail order exclusive back in the day. He's a tall fellow around 30mm to the eyes.

_nc_ohc=HR31XutHhXoAX-55GRM&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Necromunda Worldwide
I got banned from there on two separate accounts. First for complaining about release schedule, second for a comment saying I didn't think the Orlock women looked overly feminine.

Its just not worth even trying with these types of group.

The funniest has to be the 3D printing for 40k group where you get a reprimand for posting anything which may potentially breach GW's IP. Like, why the hell else would anyone be 3d printing for 40k?

Condottiero Magno

Gang Champion
Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
🤣 🤣 🤣

Kris Wilson's Chaos Dwarfs on the Oldhammer Facebook page...

I guess I'm the only one who bothers with the rules, as this isn't the first time I've seen a Middlehammer army posted there and without the poster claiming to use them as something in WFB 3rd Edition - no wonder a segment there wants to ban figures from 199x.🙄 I do like the clever way of getting around the dsiplay of 3D printed figures!

_nc_ohc=-NNR7NouzksAX_lmPW7&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=lFnaiY43OtQAX8hd1gn&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored, Non-washer of Minis
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I made an account just to look for inspiration on various FB groups and didn’t want it tied to my real life account, but I’m not finding much. It sorta helps fill the void when Yaktribe is in quiet mode, but Instagram is better for that sort of thing. There’s a few quiet Yakkers posting fairly frequently on Instagram.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
🤣 🤣 🤣

Kris Wilson's Chaos Dwarfs on the Oldhammer Facebook page...

I guess I'm the only one who bothers with the rules, as this isn't the first time I've seen a Middlehammer army posted there and without the poster claiming to use them as something in WFB 3rd Edition - no wonder a segment there wants to ban figures from 199x.🙄 I do like the clever way of getting around the dsiplay of 3D printed figures!

View attachment 153597
View attachment 153598

Out of curiosity what’s the difference between Oldhammer and Midhammer?

I’m guessing it’s about the same hair splitting as ORB vs LRB is to non yakkers.

Also I really like that CD army. It brings back memories of when I tried to build a CD army way back when.

Reactions: Tiny

Condottiero Magno

Gang Champion
Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
Out of curiosity what’s the difference between Oldhammer and Midhammer?

I’m guessing it’s about the same hair splitting as ORB vs LRB is to non yakkers.

Also I really like that CD army. It brings back memories of when I tried to build a CD army way back when.
Oldhammer is anything WFB 1-3rd Edition and 40k Rogue Trader. Middlehammer is WFB 4-6th, though some would label 6th as Newhammer, and 40k 2nd Edition till something.

What do you consider oldhammer?

I hang out at the Oldhammer forum and they're much more relaxed than the main Oldhammer FB group. While miniature production year is important for classification, something people don't pay attention to in the FB trading pages, 🙄 Oldhammer is more about not being bound to some army book/codex and playing with whatever you have - the WFB 3.0 rulebook had stats and points on creating your own troop types*. There are some obsessed over base sizes, but as long as you're consistent, no one cares if the figure is on a circle, hex or square. I do find it irritating when some Youtuber refers to anything before Ao$ as Oldhammer, but not as irritated as some who are trying to be as dogmatic with the latter, like it were the former. There is an "Oldhammer style" of look to figures, resulting in a wave of third party manufacturers catering to demand, but I'm not that fussed over it, but it has had the unintended effect of driving up prices for 80s figures.🙁

*Slightly tweaked in WFB 4.0 and 5.0, but enough of the system remained that I could create troop types in the those editions, but it became difficult in 6.0.

Condottiero Magno

Gang Champion
Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
The Oldhammer mods were having none of it, so his thread was pulled, but now you can see the uncensored version in the Middlehammer Group.

I really don't get people who gate-keep the type of models that can be part of a community- my post on this, admittedly tongue in cheek on the oldhammer page got shut down.
They don't allow discussion of or pictures of any 3D printed models. Newer resin models (likely produced by similar or identical technology) created in the Oldhammer style is fine, non Citadel models are fine, models that are pretty obviously recasts are fine... just not 3d printing. Melts me head.

• Wow
Reactions: cronevald

Condottiero Magno

Gang Champion
Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
I think I figured out why the Mark IV armor has been discontinued...

Someone on DakkaDakka mentioned that Marks III and IV were OOP a fews years ago, only to re-released in a new boxes. I found this pic in the 30k Facebook group and based on it, the Mark IVs will probably be re-released to match the height of the Mark III and newer VI plastics. I haven't been following Space Marine size creep and I knew my 2nd Edition figure would be Squatted by the ones that came out in around 2000, I didn't know these would be shorter than the 2014 versions.

nc_ohc=2c1o3MA0VDEAX9BE9o1&_nc_ht=scontent.ford4-1.jpg

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Thing i hate most about primaries other than the lore...those knee caps.
Knees look so out of place. Everything else I can live with and ignore the lore. Just mark x tactical armour marines not intercession marines etc...

Anyways whole thing had pushed me to believe horus was right all along.
And i gave up on modern 40k lol!

drdrybrush

Ganger
Jan 5, 2021
youtube.com
For anyone interested in the ash wastes box.

nomads sprue,
basically all the bodies are in a pretty fixed pose, not much change for head angles either, the back banner things DONT have to be attached and I'd say they look much better without. The arms are all pretty interchangeable between them so you can have a leader with a chain lance and a pistol (like I've done) if you want to.

Orlock sprue,
It's orlocks.

The quads, bit fiddly to assemble as instructed BUT big potential to kitbash it to have say a side car or similar, someone else mentioned the gunner on the back and yeah, basically the dud seems to pivot about on a perch with a gun...I personally don't like that idea som I'm trying to figure out how to bash it 😊 the sort of...jaggy prongy bits are super easy to bend so be careful with assemble and storage.

Bugs,
Pretty cool kit, head angles for bugs are fixed and riders are lovely sculpts, no real criticism of not except maybe the odd "splodge" on the feet to keep them stable on the bases.

RULES.
from a quick glance over them it seems a pretty comprehensive and better organised "core book" and the scenarios can be played ZM or SM or ash wastes but recommend only using vehicles in ash wastes, nothing to stop you from it though but would need to play about with it first.

Campaign system is pretty cool and feels sort of like an outdoors version of dominion.

TERRAIN
easy enough to assemble, recommend that you keep it in sub assembly form if you want max modularity but I'm still trying to figure out the optimal amount to leave separate and glued.

Hopefully it helps someone 😊

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
The funniest has to be the 3D printing for 40k group where you get a reprimand for posting anything which may potentially breach GW's IP. Like, why the hell else would anyone be 3d printing for 40k?
Depends on how they draw the line. I have a growing collection of STLs and while it is clear what they are intended to proxy, non of them are 1 to 1 copies. Again it is probably just to keep out of legal trouble.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Depends on how they draw the line. I have a growing collection of STLs and while it is clear what they are intended to proxy, non of them are 1 to 1 copies. Again it is probably just to keep out of legal trouble.
Yeah, it also depends on whether you're using UK or US IP laws. As far as I am aware, not being a lawyer but coming from a family of lawyers, In the US there is a protection on "derivative works" so even models which are inspired by a copyrighted work are an IP infringement whereas in the UK there is no such protection so you can sculpt a Space Marine inspired by a piece of GW art and even call it a Space Marine, but as long as significant parts of it differ from the Space Marine miniatures GW produce then you're generally ok. Also nothing wrong with making compatible parts and advertising them as compatible. Car parts manufacturers have been doing that for many decades.

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
Yeah one set I have was considered 'too close' and withdrawn from public sale after a C&D from GW. As a subscriber I got to keep it and they are making changes to make it acceptable before releasing it again but it's just not worth the cost of fighting it for small companies with maybe 3 employees. With the skill, speed and work ethic of some of these designers it baffles me that haven't been picked up by bigger companies.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
With the skill, speed and work ethic of some of these designers it baffles me that haven't been picked up by bigger companies.

Many may have been approached. However, bigger companies does not necessarily mean better companies, and it's remarkable how quickly having to work to someone else's demands, expectations and timetables - partiulcarly Faceless Megacorp Inc - can suck alll the joy out of something you used to really like doing.

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
Bigger companies does not necessarily mean better companies, and it's remarkable how quickly having to work to someone else's expectations and timetables - partiulcarly Faceless Megacorp Inc - can suck the joy out of something you used to really like doing.
Yeah I know that pain well. I was thinking more about the mid range of companies like Mantic or Warlord but I don't know them personally so can't speak about if they'd be interested or not. For something historical like Bolt Action it would actually make a lot of sense to have STLs for weird and wacky vehicle variants or minor nations that probably wouldn't make it's money back from a plastic kit. If I ever (it's very unlikely) I have the money I am 100% going to commission stuff for historical settings and scales that I want but can't find a complete range for (or if it is there, the quality is lacking).

Condottiero Magno

Gang Champion
Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
Revealed – Yet More Releases for Warhammer: The Horus Heresy

Prefer older marks of power armour? The Mark III and Mark IV Tactical Squads are getting repackaged into units of 20, making it easier than ever before to fill out the ranks of your Legion.

With an hiked price tag, not just 'cause they're now a box of 20. I was hoping they'd up the size to match the Beakies...

Revealed – Tool Up Your New Mark VI Space Marines with an Arsenal of Classic Weapons

I wonder if these upgrade kits will be compatible with the Mark II, III and IIII plastics or does one have to rely on FW? What are the chances some of these could pop up in Necromunda 10,000 years later?