New models incoming

SLA Industries quite nicely combined Brit Punk and Corporate Espionage (a contemporary of original Necromunda too!), but Necromunda? Nah.
I have always fancied acquiring SLA Industries and giving it a read, but never had the time/money, and had plenty of other systems/settings reducing the excuse to get it.

Reactions: Stoof
They’ve borrowed the aesthetic of punk but the game itself does seem rather too corporate. Even the houses could be seen as corporations and the fighters as their footsoldiers.

It’s not really about gangs and the downtrodden desperately trying to survive anymore.

Yes those would be the house rules I was talking about. At some point you just realise that you might as well play the old version with the new models.

I think the only rule from the new editions I'd want to keep is the alternate activations.
I'd like to see a retrofitting of the new Brutes to the old rules... Mordheim had Big Guys, why not Necro?

I don't know if I'd even keep alternating activations. It's a decent enough system, but I also never thought IgoUgo was a broken system. It was fine. Some alternate system would also be fine, but N17's is a first-draft idea. The biggest strike against it is that it has exactly nothing in place to handle any disparity in numbers, but it also brings up a lot of odd sequencing decisions that I'm not sure are really fun. It's not rare for both players to spend the first half of the turn burning activations on inconsequential acts, or literally doing nothing, to avoid moving early in some key confrontation. There's some meat to the decisions made, and there's something to appreciate about the activation metagame, but I don't think it's a special treasure of the system. A fully-realised initiative system could retain the good parts and cut out the bad, though.

Design-wise, I'm in two minds either way. Activation order decisions can occupy a lot of focus, and there's only so much brainspace to go around. Not every part of a game can be laden with dense decisions, you have to pick and choose. If we want high-level strategy in the vein of a heavy Eurogame, maybe we make activation order a Real System and abstract away some of the game's more minute details. If we want more of a visceral Ameritrash experience, we probably want to take it out of the players' hands and let them get to rolling dice.

I think it's got issues - what GW game doesn't - but it's not fatal.
So many issues already solved in other games that GW actually cares about. Simply compare Kill Team with the comments from @ntw3001:
The biggest strike against it is that it has exactly nothing in place to handle any disparity in numbers
Disparity in numbers solved by free shoot actions with negative hit penalty.
It's not rare for both players to spend the first half of the turn burning activations on inconsequential acts, or literally doing nothing, to avoid moving early in some key confrontation.
Moving early in key confrontations is key and a matter of life and death in kill team (possibly except from round 1, aka extended deployment phase). More often than not I find myself needing to activate A, B and C first and at the same time, but can only choose one. And the opponent has the same difficult choice.
Activation order decisions can occupy a lot of focus, and there's only so much brainspace to go around.
I think the activation order decisions usually can be quickly reduced to some very few options in kill team each round.

Reactions: Mr. M
Don't some of the Warlord Games games use a random initiative system, determined by putting dice of two different colors in a bag and then blindly drawing out one die at a time (the player whose color is selected then gets to take an action)? Although Necromunda already has plenty of randomness, it seems this type of random activation system might be at least appropriate for fights in the chaotic and unpredictable underhive. Or maybe some sort of weighting system so that gangers with higher initiative scores have to act first, coupled with the WG random-draw mechanic? I've never played a WG game with this type of activation system, but would love to hear how it goes from the Bolt Action crowd!

The Mutant: Year Zero game beta ruleset uses a system that is very similar to the Necromunda alternating activation except you dump a token per model in a bag and then draw a token which can activate. Environmental effects get their own tokens, and as such activate when drawn.
It should be added that it's more of a PvE ruleset as far as I can tell.

Don't some of the Warlord Games games use a random initiative system, determined by putting dice of two different colors in a bag and then blindly drawing out one die at a time (the player whose color is selected then gets to take an action)? Although Necromunda already has plenty of randomness, it seems this type of random activation system might be at least appropriate for fights in the chaotic and unpredictable underhive. Or maybe some sort of weighting system so that gangers with higher initiative scores have to act first, coupled with the WG random-draw mechanic? I've never played a WG game with this type of activation system, but would love to hear how it goes from the Bolt Action crowd!
I play loads of Warlords of Erehwon with this system and it’s great. We tried porting it over to Mordheim and in the end decided to switch back to IGOUGO. The dice draw works great in bigger games as it stops that huge first turn advantage and the long lags between turns, but this isn’t an issue in skirmish games as the down time is small and you don’t tend to get the huge advantage from the first turn (this may not be true in numunda where everyone’s granny has a plasma cannon and hits on 2+ though).

I am pretty sure I read that the new munda designer was a huge fan of warzone / mutant chronicles which was all about corporate (house) paramilitaries fighting over assets to increase market share… might explain the shift in tone. Personally I am a huge fan of mutant chronicles (probs moreso than the 40k world) but I still don’t see the need to bleed it into the necro setting… a matter of taste, obviously.

It seems to be that the big complaint against new necromunda is not the rules but the theme. The core rules are solid. It's a fun game to play. This may just be me, but I much prefer alternative action to igougo. I actually hate igougo. I find it incredibly boring and unfair. I always compare it to chess. Imagine chess was igougo. What a terrible game concept.

With that said I understand the decision brain freeze people end up with. Chess does have tournament clocks for a reason afterall. If you were wanting to keep alternative actions, which solves several key problems with traditional wargaming mechanics, but found it still hadn't eliminated the key problems like waiting time. You could introduce the initiative order mechanic in the Warhammer quest games where you shuffle everyone's cards and line it up. That gets rid of the which player should I chose dilemma and also adds a touch of the old igougo if you are lucky enough to get several cards in a row. Alternatively you could go the bloodbowl route and have igougo but if you fail a roll it's your turn over. Mind you that only works because the dice rolling in bloodbowl fits well with that mechanic.

Reactions: The_Worker
It seems to be that the big complaint against new necromunda is not the rules but the theme.
That’s odd as I would’ve put it the other way round. Sure we moan about the theme periodically as it’s true they’ve shifted focus away from the classic one.

However we’ve numerous threads talking about rules imbalances, contradictions, changes, inconsistencies and errors.

My guess for the breakdown of this (sigh) 564-page thread:

Bitching about rules: 300 pages, starting strong and slowing down as people's rules knowledge becomes less current. Because...

Bitching about release model: 100 pages. Again, a strong start but not much new to say after five years. But still going strong...

Bitching about theme: 150 pages, probably the biggest growth prospect. We all get to see and comment on Warhammer Community articles. Minute details of the new fluff are only available to those still buying in, but we don't need the full rich quality stuff to produce material for the Sump.

Last edited: