N18 New player - "Friendly" Van Saar starting list and how to expand it

MrAndersson

Gang Hero
Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
well, 13.5 as its a blast, and if you have suspensors then on a van saar thats 17.5 potentially, but yes, it is short range so will depend heavily on if you play 2d or 3d and how much terrain you have.
I wasn't aware that Van Saar had a suspensors special rule. That makes quite the difference, 16" is a lot better than 12".

As for the extra range given by the blast, while you are technically correct, it is kind of hard to take advantage of. You would have to correctly guess when your target is just outside of short range, and then place the template just inside it.

mateyboy3000

Gang Champion
May 29, 2017
I wasn't aware that Van Saar had a suspensors special rule. That makes quite the difference, 16" is a lot better than 12".
Anyone can get suspensors. They have always been in the van saar lists as well never a need to go to the trading post. But that's more standard now than the VS exception.

They do have suspensors in a cyberteknika tree but it's at the top of one that doesn't help a shooter much so kind of irrelevant unless you are an archaeotek who get it for 75 (still more than just suspensors though)

MrAndersson

Gang Hero
Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
As Topsy says, thats just typical suspensors, I was meaning on a van saar (ie, M4 rather than 5 of most other gangs).
Oh, you were adding their movement onto the range of the weapon? I don't understand why you would do that. What if you start the round pinned? Or are in a position where moving towards your target is not possible, or tactically unsound? There are so many problems with that kind of reasoning.

mateyboy3000

Gang Champion
May 29, 2017
It was described as a potential not an actual distance, which is perfectly acceptable in my book. You have potential melta range of 16" as VS with suspensors

Reactions: spafe

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Oh, you were adding their movement onto the range of the weapon? I don't understand why you would do that. What if you start the round pinned? Or are in a position where moving towards your target is not possible, or tactically unsound? There are so many problems with that kind of reasoning.
It's quite normal to post (potential) max threat ranges and exclude all such factors as you describe. Once you start adding factors, it turns out that Grav Cannon with range 80" realistically only has effectively 5" rangeon a particularly dense map.

Reactions: spafe