N18 New player - looking for advice on "simple" gangs

Feb 17, 2011
Hey yakfolks,

I'm thinking of trying out Necromunda, and my opponent is a youngster (11). There's a dizzying array of gangs out there...

Could you recommend the most basic, vanilla gangs, with the least amount of special equipment, special rules, etc. I'd like to make two very boring gangs (a leader, maybe someone with a cool weapon, and a handful of same-same boring goons). I have a handful of figures available, and am not worried about looks. My chaos cultists for example will serve as one gang, even if it's Van Saar or whatever! :)

I basically want to make this as approachable as possible, and basically just play with the least amount of rules possible. It's been years since I've played, and I really don't want to turn off my kid with tons of crap you need to look up, check, etc. So yea. No vehicles just yet.

chaos cultists are simple in themselves.
leader with a shotgun and chainglaive.
champion with heavy weapon.
cultists with autoguns.
and if you want a spawn and a witch.

enjoy

Orlocks and goliaths are the easiest to run simply in my experience. Sure they can be complicated but they run simple if you go slow on the bells and whistles.

Reactions: Psyan
Delaque can be run simply as well but it looses the delaque Ness and your youngster is 11 so no to creepy dead eyes!

I’d recommend Venators or outcasts for a basic gang. Apart from being able to chose what skill list and stat line some of their members have they are just generic fighter with few special rules that can be easily ignored. They also chose most of their weapons etc straight from the trading post which avoids any complicated stuff.

Plus you can use a mix of models and still have it fit the background.

Wouldn’t the easiest way to play N18 be to use the rules pre-House of X books? The problem, I guess, would be finding a copy of Gangs of the Underhive. Or the index gang sheet(s) that came with the original N17 release.

Reactions: Covenant
Wouldn’t the easiest way to play N18 be to use the rules pre-House of X books? The problem, I guess, would be finding a copy of Gangs of the Underhive. Or the index gang sheet(s) that came with the original N17 release.
The gangs of the underhive book is now no longer supported and a substantial amount of the Trade Post has changed since then. Quite a few buggy rules in it that later additions corrected, partially, the Outcasts are a good toolbox shout.

N18 rulebook + GotU is however the simplest way to play Necromunda, which is the ask from the OP, so if they can track down those books its a good starting point to introduce a juve to the underhive.

In terms of gangs, Orlock, Goliath and Escher would be my suggested starts. Goliath and Escher came with the original box so were the "basic" gangs. You can run a bunch of Goliath gangers with stub cannons as a boring backline, then have a couple of champions with a big melee weapon or an interesting gun, like a grenade launcher.

Escher can do similar with a backline of lasguns, you can have a classic "big gun" in the Chem thrower and run a melee leader/champions

Orlock has always been the vanilla flavouring of Necromunda, autoguns, boltguns and shotguns is their game so again not difficult to pull together a relatively simple gang with them.

Reactions: Lunarcruiser
More important than the gang is streamlining the rules. You don't change the game much by not incorporating Stray Shots, or falling, or even Pinning. You don't even have to have any armor on anyone, so to save on die rolls. Keep it fast and furious.

What gang? Goliaths. Macho Men. We boys all love'em. They don't have to be complicated, they can take it and dish it out. If your opponent is a girl, Eschers. Down with the Patriarchy!

Oh, and do NOT win his/her first game! Ten years later, I'm still gaming with my once 11 year-old opponent, (he loved the old Pit Slaves).