N18 New to Necromunda, Attempting to Finish Acquisition List

GratLurking

Aug 9, 2019
So, hello there internets and fellow hivers. Recently my local shop has been gathering Necromunda related things, and over the past month or three, I've been gathering my own small collection of bits and bobs related for potential plans to try out Arbitration of at the very least a few learner skirmish games. Thus far my acquisitions have included:
- Necromunda Core Rules, and Gangs of the Underhive
- House of Artifice, Van Saar Tactic Cards, and a Van Saar gang for personal use, even if actually using House of Artificer may have to wait for a few months for slowpoke Delaque.
- House of Ruin, and technically some Servants of the Abyss I got for my CSM that'd also double as Helot Cults
- Templates, dice, and some offbrand tokens, not every status effect but covers main ones like burning and jammed weapons.
Naturally the big issue is I'm not sure what else I should be gathering. My shop has mostly built terrain for the likes of 40k 8th and 9th edition, and what other games it's done includes the likes of TCGs and X-Wing, so stuff like smaller scatter's a bit low on their priority. I've also been seeing stuff regarding 'gang tactics' and was curious if there was some setup for generic gang tactics, I swear I've scoured Gangs of the Underhive and Core Rules for such and I'm coming up empty. I do plan on grabbing the upcoming new starter box, both for the terrain and because more gangs never hurt, but was uncertain if I should track down more beyond the remaining two 'Book of' books and maybe claiming more 'House of' books on my spare time.
Alsoalso, a few random questions from you lot regarding things I didn't see with FAQs and such that confused:
- Ritual for the Dark Gods vs claiming your gang as god-aligned. I know Dark Ritual is basically a reprint from White Dwarf/PDF, but as far as the claiming as god-alligned, is there any downsides of that vs the ritual? By what I could tell, you always had those bonuses when you start a new round when god-alligned, so what's the point of ritual after that? :S
- As far as running games until the remaining House of X books are out, should I just flat-out ignore content regarding the House of X books until Cawdor and Delaque's on the same level, or should I say heck with it and allow the modified and updated gangs? I know also present locally are Palentine Enforcers and Delaque, thus the entire concern about the books to start with.
- Similarly, in a case like House of Artificer, I assume everything regarding the previous gang's stats, weapon list, and boons are simply replaced between the two books, but wanted to confirm if I should worry about players trying to, say, weasel in the existence of older weapon options without trading post restrictions. I know doing some perusal prior to posting that there's def some contentions regarding some older Van Saar options like their combi-las prior to them becoming pistols in HoA.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Looks like you have plenty of stuff to play with.

In terms of terrain one of the big things that sets Necromunda apart from 40K and other games is the use of vertical, multi level terrain and interconnecting walkways. You can use 40K terrain instead, but it loses something when fighters aren’t encouraged to climb up (and fall off) terrain.

As for your questions.

Alsoalso, a few random questions from you lot regarding things I didn't see with FAQs and such that confused:
- Ritual for the Dark Gods vs claiming your gang as god-aligned. I know Dark Ritual is basically a reprint from White Dwarf/PDF, but as far as the claiming as god-alligned, is there any downsides of that vs the ritual? By what I could tell, you always had those bonuses when you start a new round when god-alligned, so what's the point of ritual after that? :S

The rules are pretty poorly written. My understanding is that you need to perform the dark ritual in order to have the favour of the gods for the next game.

If you don’t perform the ritual you don’t get the bonuses next game.

- As far as running games until the remaining House of X books are out, should I just flat-out ignore content regarding the House of X books until Cawdor and Delaque's on the same level, or should I say heck with it and allow the modified and updated gangs? I know also present locally are Palentine Enforcers and Delaque, thus the entire concern about the books to start with.

Just play with the new books. Where some of the rules have been updated in the new books I would make them universal where possible (hive scum weapon lists, etc).

Similarly, in a case like House of Artificer, I assume everything regarding the previous gang's stats, weapon list, and boons are simply replaced between the two books, but wanted to confirm if I should worry about players trying to, say, weasel in the existence of older weapon options without trading post restrictions. I know doing some perusal prior to posting that there's def some contentions regarding some older Van Saar options like their combi-las prior to them becoming pistols in HoA.

Yep. Gangs could use either book, but they would have to stick with it for that campaign. So if you are using House of Artifice then no access to weapons in Gangs of the Underhive, and if you are using GotU then no access to anything new from HoA.

GratLurking

Aug 9, 2019
Looks like you have plenty of stuff to play with.

In terms of terrain one of the big things that sets Necromunda apart from 40K and other games is the use of vertical, multi level terrain and interconnecting walkways. You can use 40K terrain instead, but it loses something when fighters aren’t encouraged to climb up (and fall off) terrain.
Yeah, it's the smaller claustrophobic stuff I'm more worried about. We do have things like the sector mechanicus pipes and so on, but nothing like the barricade parts/aegis defense lines and other such scatter. If I'm buying anything more anytime soon beyond maybe that new starter set, it's probably things to supplement the imperial buildings we got. I know it's a very similar issue I had when Killteam was more readily played around here.
The rules are pretty poorly written. My understanding is that you need to perform the dark ritual in order to have the favour of the gods for the next game.

If you don’t perform the ritual you don’t get the bonuses next game.
Yeaaah. I was hoping for it to have been FAQ'd but anything regarding that book was all GSC related. But that's also a fair take, as beyond the base bonus from dark ritual it's all part of gang/spawn statlines.
Just play with the new books. Where some of the rules have been updated in the new books I would make them universal where possible (hive scum weapon lists, etc).

Yep. Gangs could use either book, but they would have to stick with it for that campaign. So if you are using House of Artifice then no access to weapons in Gangs of the Underhive, and if you are using GotU then no access to anything new from HoA.
Alrighty! Def stress one gangsheet or another when constructed for play, got it.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
If you can get your hands on it the Necromunda scatter terrain that GW sell is pretty decent and not too bad value for what you get.

It used to come in the N17 boxed set (the one with the tiles) but can be bought separately.

Failing that even just using the zone Mortalis walls (or any other walls for that matter) to break up line of sight on the ground level will go a long way to making the game less gun line oriented.

Reactions: GratLurking