N18 Newbie list thread

MFMONK

Juve
Dec 9, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Hello, just an idea. There are standard lists for Kill Team which newcomers could use as a "starting point" of creating their own. Maybe there is possibility for same thing for Necromunda? Some tested builds for both skirmish and campaign for all gangs. Many players ask the same questions in many threads, old lists are no longer efficient after rules changes - maybe we can have some competitive lists here?

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
We got so far here:

I still think it’d be a good idea to have basic Gangs for people to use as a jumping off point (probably based on a gang box) especially if they could be in the tools here.

A fair few gangs got added to this but it sort of petered out. Feel free to kick it up the bum and get it going again.

Reactions: Ben_S and MFMONK

MFMONK

Juve
Dec 9, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
That's a good one, thanks for a link. But maybe it's a proper time for more optimized gang lists then? With new FW kits and all bells and whistles? I have 6 out of 9 gangs (If I count it correctly) which are currently available. Except GSC band - they all are waiting in the sprues - my plan is to magnetize weapons for all of them. But still - competitive lists for all factions in one place would be a nice thing to have.

Roflgon

Juve
Mar 21, 2018
Saxmundham, UK
I went for Magnatising myself, Van Saar, all done. 2 x 1mm magnets in body, 1 x 1mm magnets in arms, hold a treat. Escher the same. Goliath 2x1mm on body and arms, but the arm locating stubs do need a bit of work to get things square.
Very satisfying snapping a new gun on a ganger!

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
@MFMONK most of the lists in the out of the box thread are decent enough to start out with.

Necromunda isn’t really the game where you should be looking for the most efficient list otherwise it gets boring very quickly.

The most efficient list is van Saar with all leaders and champs kitted our with combi las/plasma guns and three cheap gangers with lasguns or las carbines.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
I don't get this. What if both sides have strong lists not just one?
I may be wrong but I think he’s suggesting that as Necromunda is a “fluffy” game that list aren’t really the totality of it.

A strong list sounds great but you might find it’s poor when moved onto an alternate environment (ZM<>SM) or that complete random things scupper you (Tactics card).

Now a good useful starting point is worth it as you enhance your chances for advancing a bit better but think of Necromunda rosters as a variable rather than fixed list.

You’ll probably want to start out with one set of things but then advance and modify how the gang plays.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I don't get this. What if both sides have strong lists not just one?
If it is how your entire group plays it can be fun for a few games, but if your list is capable of taking out the entire other gang in one to two turns every game it can get boring over the length of a campaign.

If you are playing skirmish games make them as milky as you can, but it is a downer to not have any models surviving through a campaign.

Also because Necromunda is not balanced certain gangs start with an advantage that just doesn’t go away. Van Saar for instance can be made into a fantastic gang from the start, while Cawdor can struggle to compete unless they are armed perfectly.

Reactions: MusingWarboss

MFMONK

Juve
Dec 9, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Funny thing is Van Saars it's an only gang which I don't have yet. And my first go-to gang will be cawdor because cool conversions potential. So a good list for Cawdor especially would be a nice thing to see.

Roflgon

Juve
Mar 21, 2018
Saxmundham, UK
Not sure on Cawdor lists personally, but from what i have played against, lots of bodies and cheap guns, I have been overrun a few times by a highly resitant to Bottling Cawdor Gang, like Rats they are! Of course, in a "random Pick a few fighters" scenario, odds are heavily against you.

MrAndersson

Ganger
Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
I made a few sample starting lists for Orlock, van Saar and Escher:

ORLOCK

Maximize firepower (995)
1x Leader with Grenade launcher
2x Champion with Grenade launcher
3x Ganger with Boltgun
2x Ganger with Shotgun

Munitioneer on all leaders and champions.
Probably the strongest Orlock starting gang.

Shotguns in numbers (975)
1x Leader with Boltgun
2x Champion with Shotgun
7x Ganger with Shotgun

Skills to taste.
Shorter range but greater numbers than above.

Heavy weapons (980)
1x Leader with Heavy bolter
2x Champion with Bolter
5x Ganger with Shotgun

At least one Munitioneer, others to taste.
Brings the deadliest weapon in the game to the table from the get go. Buy Suspensors asap.

VAN SAAR

Maximize plasma (1000)
1x Leader with Lasgun/Plasma and Mesh armour
2x Champion with Lasgun/Plasma and Mesh armour
1x Ganger with Lasgun/Plasma and Mesh armour
3x Ganger with Lasgun

Maximize survivability (980)
1x Leader with Lasgun/Plasma and Mesh armour
2x Champion with Lasgun/Plasma and Mesh armour
4x Ganger with Lasgun and Mesh armour

Both builds pick skills to taste. Trick shot for those that you want to pick up a heavy weapon later on. For others, Fast shot is a good alternative. Munitioneer can also be helpful, as can several other Savant skills.

ESCHER

Lasgun spam with toxin sprinkle (995)
1x Leader with Needle rifle and Lasgun
2x Champion with Boltgun/Needler and Lasgun
1x Ganger with Needle rifle and Lasgun
7x Ganger with Lasgun

Skills to taste. Spring up deserves a special mention.
Large numbers to make up for Escher's bad cool, while still bringing some actual firepower in the form of bolters and needlers.

Last edited:
Reactions: MFMONK