N18 Nice new little campaign!

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
So my son (age 14 as of May 2020) and my daughter (age 9 end of April 2020) have both picked up an interest during the Coronavirus lockdown.

So much so that they're just getting a gang each (ryanBSM is getting Van Saar, and LaceyBSM is having Escher- whilst I plan to rock the Goliaths) and we are going to run a hybrid Dominion/Perpetual campaign to help them get into the game.

I'm going to try and keep an updated and descriptive gallery here:

So the plan is to run along the narrative here:

"An old section of the Underhive has collapsed, revealing an old sector, potentially rich for the pickings, in a relatively uninhabited area of Manufactorium Sector 48.

Sector 48 has been scoured clean for as long as anyone can remember and so receives less attention than other sectors, but this new collapse has allowed some relatively new gangs to take advantage and gain turf unmolested by other, more well established gangs."

This way we can justify the 3 new starting gangs in an area with no enforcers or whatever plus it opens up the narrative after the initial campaign closes where they can delve deeper into the collapsed manufactorium and play some more complex games later on once this campaign is done. I myself am relearning the game after a 20 year break so really looking forward to this.

The Map:

full.jpg

full.jpg

So you'll have seen the hex map being used to control the progress of the campaign and the turf and starting areas have been fairly equidistant in thier placement and the base camp hex tile has been surrounded with 6 tiles under the gang control.

We then randomly allocated 1 turf each from the pool of 9 drawn turf cards leaving the other 6 open to capture later (making sure that no gang held an advanced boon turf to start with). This piece of turf was then attached to the controlling gang area and we placed them in an anti clockwise direction so there was a little consistency in the start up layout.

The rules of the map: (WIP)
All players roll for priority and the highest roller chooses the order the players declare all thier planned moves on the map.

Movement Rules:
Each gang has 2 "moves" per round (a round taking place between games once all gangs have fought). These moves can be spent as follows:

1) Moving into an adjacent tile from a controlled tile, capturing it. This can be repeated allowing the gangs second move to originate from the tile captured by the first move.

2) Move into any open tile on the map that is not connected to one of your controlled tiles, but this costs you both of your moves, but will allow you to claim the tile, unless you lose a challenge (see below).

Capturing Turf
in order to capture a piece of turf, players need to have captured an adjacent tile beforehand. It will cost players both moves to attempt to capture the turf. A player will automatically capture turf unless challenged (see below)

Challenges and Gang Fights
Gangs can challenge each others moves directly in order to try and slow their progress on the map. A free challenge means that the challenger will be able to fight the challenged gang in a narratively appropriate scenario to be determined at random. If the challenger wins the battle, then the tile remains unclaimed. Each gang may always make 1 free challenge in addition to a challenge where moves are spent.

If the challenger wishes to spend a move (if adjacent to a controlled tile) or two moves (if not adjacent to a controlled tile) and wins the battle, then they claim the tile. If it is a turf tile, but the challenger doesn't control an adjacent tile then they will capture an unclaimed adjacent tile instead. This may result in turf becoming hotly contested whilst another gang moves across the map unchallenged, so choose wisely! Only one challenge where moves are spent may be made per turn.

This means that with the additional free challenge, gangs may fight up to two times in a round, and must fight at least once by choice.

A win in either challenge by the defender will result in the defender claiming the tile as intended.

The campaign ending:
The campaign will come to an end at an appropriate time, either by narrative, all turf being captured and held or one gang advancing to the point where gameplay is less fun. In other words... we will keep playing till it finds it's own suitable ending which will then end up being drafted up as some story to be shared around the underhive.

Thanks for reading, C&C welcome as always, but do remember this campaign is to introduce some depth to my kids and thier first foray into Necromunda proper.

Vertico

Ganger
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem
Now that is some good parenting!
Have fun playing with your kids! I can just hope that my 1,5 year old will develop an interest in Necro later on. :)

Rules seem fun.I think it will allow for a nice experience.

Reactions: RonBSM

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Well.... I suggest teaching them to paint (at the right age!) at the most basic level. Ryan wanted to have a go and I said ok, but he had to do as I said (because when we start... we ALL rush the paint jobs to play and then hate the models and have to come back and repaint them) so I taught him some real basics like keeping the paint work neat and using inks and he was hooked.

This is his first ever model- I painted one leg and the skull on the shoulder to show him a few techniques and he painted the rest.

full.jpg

CF7C961E-0503-4FAB-89B0-94297EB36A9A.jpeg

Not sure why the image loaded into the gallery sideways... but hey.... we can make do, right?

Because of his success and pleasure at painting he is now chomping at the bit for his birthday Van Saars to arrive. These will be his first ever models of his own, his first ever assembly... and he has already started looking at colour schemes for inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vertico

Ganger
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem
That is a good paint job!
The sideway photo's has to do with your camera point. Somehow this system always tilt photo's. My solution is to tilt the camera counter clockwise and it works. :)

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Speaking of nice... Look what literally just got delivered....

392901A8-7861-4804-B340-8CC2778FF31A.jpeg

Absolutely no idea why my gallery keeps turning my pics sideways though. 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
That is a good paint job!
The sideway photo's has to do with your camera point. Somehow this system always tilt photo's. My solution is to tilt the camera counter clockwise and it works. :)
What's weird though is when I'm selecting the file to upload its oriented correctly. 🤔

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I’v tried putting the pics right, but I’m new to all this technowizardry, so iv just gave people who can’t turn their head sideways an option! 😁😅

Reactions: RonBSM

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
So he has his gang and now wants to build them. Understandable.

This is Bubbles the Destroyer and RyanBSM was determined to have a grav chute on someone. He loves the idea of leaping down from high places. Bubbles gets the chute. Made from a bit of sprue and 2 lasgun fronts.
20200408_153220.jpg

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
ROUND 1 SUMMARY

Before we played any games we talked about some of the map rules and we decided that each player needs to fight once per round, with one of the three playing a second game. As RyanBSM and LaceyBSM were holding the first match that meant that one of them needed to play a second game (LaceyBSM volunteered in) which would mean that any recovery requirements would have an impact, but they would also get a second chance to work the turn in between games and gain more XP. In the next round either RonBSM or RyanBSM will play a second game (to be determined randomly, leaving the remaining person to play the second game in the third round before restarting the random determination from round 4).

So step 1 was for all players to declare thier movement plans for the map, and everyone moved themselves 2 tiles towards some turf. LaceyBSM declared an attack on RyanBSM and rolled the Looters scenario and set the 1st game. With Lacey having declared one attack from her free attack, that meant as the volunteer for the second game she could only be attacked by RonBSM, which was then rolled up as an Ambush.

Game 1: Narrative: The Poison Lace have spies everywhere. Not as many as a Delaque gang might have, but spies nonetheless and some intelligence revealed that The Cybertech Phantoms were making moves on an old Needleways. Jelena made the bold choice to try and loot the Phantoms whilst they made thier play, but poor intelligence meant that timing was off and they ran into the full gang before they had departed for the Needleways! What ensued was a short and bloody firefight with Jelena showing her prowess, and Marika similarly so, taking out several of the Phantoms, including thier leader Greg, with a handsome plasma pistol shot square in the face, as they beat a hasty retreat from thier poorly timed attack. Nokomi was injured in the fracas, but other than that, the only real hurt that landed was on the pride of the gang. They had been seen off from thier poorly executed raid. It seemed to Jelena that she was going to need to pay a little less attention to the spies measurements and do some of her own before making her cuts.

Game 2: Narrative: The Hammer Hounds had been building thier settlement and the labour had left the gang thirsty for some stress relief. They thought that perhaps a bit of a scrap would blow out some of the cobwebs and Skullshank had heard that a gang had set up a settlement further to the north, with thier eyes also set on the spoils of the manufactorium collapse. It seemed like this might be a good time to say hello to them and give the boys some much needed release from thier violent tendencies. Nox had already beaten up a few Juves with mouths bigger than they needed to be and he was getting... antsy. So without much further ado, the gang set off with a plan to ambush whoever this gang was and show them that the Hammer Hounds were not a gang to be trifled with.

Once they arrived, it seemed that they had timed it just so... this Escher gang, as it turned out, was making the return trip from a bit of a venture of thier own, so they were completely caught unawares. With the edge of surprise on thier side, the gang charged in, and Skullshank cleaned out thier Leader, some gobby bird called Jelena and one of her cronies, Brae. Nox, didn't fare so well, the chem-thrower wielding champion took him out before fleeing the scene with some other bird called Marika who managed to melt half her face in a bit of a freak plasma pistol accident. Drago also managed to smash in the ganger Reina's face with the butt of his Stub Cannon. She was gonna feel that for weeks. Grendel also managed to get in close after a false start and lay out a ganger, Kaiya. Altogether, it was a bit of a bloodbath and the lads went home afterwards happy and ready to drink some unmentionable booze in celebration.

Summary: Successful first round, not so much for LaceyBSM who needed to bottle out twice, but altogether it was a good pair of games and the map took some develoment, although frustratingly the software of editing the pics has updated so I have had to redo some of the colours. Grr...

Summaries are included on the battles found here: https://yaktribe.games/underhive/campaign/old_manufactorium_collapse,_sector_48.5949/ , and I plan to work on the narratives as we go....

Phew.

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
In an interesting turn of events, Round two moves have been declared. I had priority rolled on the declaration of moves and I was also the player to fight two battles this round (meaning that RyanBSM will be fighting 2 games in round 3!).

So, we all declared intentions, Poison Lace were taking 2 tiles next to the slag pits (as they didn't have enough moves to claim it), Cybertech Phantoms were claiming the Needleways and Hammer Hounds were claiming the Rogue Docs.

Having made the declarations, and having priority, Hammer Hounds declared their attack against the Phantoms in order to try and prevent a claim on the Needleways and Poison Lace declared their attack on the Hammer Hounds to try and prevent taking the Docs. As Phantoms had their fight determined for them through priority they cant attack anyone this turn, only defend!

Hammer Hounds rolled the Looters scenario and Poison Lace rolled Sabotage...

Now to get down to the dirty business of getting our fights on....

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Summary of Round 2, fight 1: Hammer Hounds challenging the Cybertech Phantoms

The Hammer Hounds had learned from the ambush against the Poison Lace that there were several caches of valuable loot in the grasp of the Cybertech Hounds- and since they were weakened from the botched attack- now was a good time to strike them hard! Skullshank was not your typical House Goliath and had a decent amount of working brain cells that were not mushed by the usual stimm abuse of the gangers. He knew that if another gang had tried looting... and were held off the way the Poison Lace were then the Phantoms were guarding something of actual worth.

Plus, the timing was perfect... they were never going to expect another looting to take place so quickly, and with so many of the gang off thier feet thanks to the Poison Lace attack, they were going to be even weaker! Thier technology wouldn't be able to support them with almost half the gang healing up.

Skullshank led the foray in hard and fast and Splitter Korg ascended the ladders to the top of the tower with the nearest loot stash and dived into Van Oelhoffen so hard that he was knocked clean off his feet and in spite of an attempt to defend himself, he was no match for the champion who knocked him clean out.

The rest of the gang decided that living to fight again another day against the Hammer Hounds was the most strategic option... the loot was left behind and could be raided back later... as long as they all lived! Techno-Head made the call and Phantoms retreated, knowing that they needed the full strength of the gang if they were going to make another attempt to take the Needleways. Besides - now that the Hammer Hounds were rapidly gaining a reputation for being up close and personal, and gaining a fair bit of infamy about themselves, it also meant that they were going to be easier to hunt down and had shown thier typical strategy off enough to be able to counter attack them... on terms they wouldn't enjoy.

Greg, the now recovering leader of the Phantoms laughed as Techno Head took her time to fill him in on the details. He was going to get his revenge and he was going to leave a bunch of Goliaths in the dust, full of Las-Carbine holes.

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Summary of Round 2, Fight 2: Poison Lace vs Hammer Hounds (Sabotage)

Jelena was very, very angry at the fact that she was ambushed by some meatheads from House Goliath. So angry in fact that she decided a brazen attack against thier settlement was worthwhile. Gathering up what little strength the Poison Lace had after thier ambush she commenced a daring sneak attack into the heart of the Hammer Hounds turf.

There was a power generator that was running the entire operation at the dead centre of the settlement and in the dead of night the Poison Lace began thier approach. There were several sentries patrolling the area, and it was well lit, more so than Jelena had expected. These Goliaths weren't half as daft as most of them. Sneaking in from the rear as the girls attacked from the front, Jelena tried to make use of the very expensive combi needler in her possession, causing some fun before the alarm was raised!

Before any damage could be done to the generator though, several of the sentries converged hard on the girls at the front end of the assault tying them up, but they managed to loose off a few strikes at the generator, but nothing hard hitting enough to pierce its armoured hide.

Having felt that they made thier point, the gang quickly melted back into the shadows, unsuccessful in the assault to take out the generator, but definately letting the Hounds know that the Poison Lace were just as capable of getting thier nails into some Goliath flesh if they were not to learn some respect....

MAP: End of Round 2:
Round 2 OMCS48.jpg

Reactions: Vertico

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
The end result for round 2 was the Hammer Hounds successfully claiming the Rogue Docs, and the Phantoms being held off from the Needleways. The Poison Lace managed to consolidate thier position ready to make a move on the Slag Works in the next round....

Next round sees the Phantoms making 2 fights as well, so this will be interesting.

With the initial success of the Hounds becoming immediate local knowledge a new ganger, 'Bonesnapper' Fred joins the gang, with a Boltgun for some punch. Things are going to get interesting.

LordLithca

Ganger
Jul 19, 2012
Liverpool
I've just seen this thread and as some have said above, what great parenting! I just hope at least one of my kids want to pick up a brush in the future so I can run campaigns like this too!

The campaign sounds great too and i love the addition of the map!

Vomikron

Juve
Oct 27, 2019
Georgia, USA
This is great. I’m working on getting my 8 year old into it as well.

I’m currently making gang card templates and a quick reference sheet that’s a little more Kidd friendly. i’m thinking of calling it “Necromunda: Juve Edition”

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
I did this, sort of. Just literally played simple rules... shoot, wound, move on.

Did this for a few games until they wanted to try more complex rules and then dived into it. Also didnt bother with injuries or advancements initially - just played and kept track of wins and losses.

Which was hilarious since Lacey (8) has had the luck of the dice whilst Ryan has not and she caned him a few times. He was not best please and I was most entertained.

Reactions: Vomikron

Vomikron

Juve
Oct 27, 2019
Georgia, USA
I did this, sort of. Just literally played simple rules... shoot, wound, move on.

Did this for a few games until they wanted to try more complex rules and then dived into it. Also didnt bother with injuries or advancements initially - just played and kept track of wins and losses.

Which was hilarious since Lacey (8) has had the luck of the dice whilst Ryan has not and she caned him a few times. He was not best please and I was most entertained.
Sounds like a blast. I’m starting with simple stats in the vein of Age of Sigmar warscrolls. Nothing too complex.

RonBSM

Lord of Dark Tunnels
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Round 3 was eventually completed after a few delays thanks to some birthdays taking place....

Fight 1: Poison Lace Vs Cybertech Phantoms
Jelena, having had a real taste for vengeance decided that the Cybertech Phantoms were going to have a real lesson taught to them, even though they were not the instigators in the previous fights, such was the slight to thier honour! As they worked thier way into the underhive they located a relic of the gang and took full advantage of the opportunity to defile it. They were taken by surprise and offered little fight in the way of resistance, with a huge swirling melee taking out both Greg and Technohead!

Emboldened by the success of the fight, Jelena returned victorious to thier camp. The Phantoms had been busy recruiting and gained a free juve from thier settlement!

Fight 2: Hammer Hounds vs Cybertech Phantoms
Skullshank, ever confident and ever following the Poison Lace around the area decided once more to capitalise on the havoc being caused by the Poison Lace. Charging headlong with full passion for bloodshed and wanting to see what Bonesnapper was capable of, the damage was rife adn vast. Bonesnapper took Feyde and Van Oelhoffen out in a single burst of fire from his Bolt Gun, killing Feyde outright!! Van Oelhoffen suffered a spinal injury and Lucky Jim was smashed into oblivion by Skullshank after failing to cause any serious har with his hand flamer. Nox, hot on the heels of Grendel cleaned out the juve Unlucky Jill, and Grendel followed up by using his rivet cannon to perforate Fer Devaa.

Bubbles the Destroyer fled the scene. A solid victory for the Hounds!

In the after game sequence, the Phantoms settlement pai dividends again with another free juve... Feyde Jr joined the gang!!

Round 3 results:

20200501_144144.jpg