N18 No effect of cover for the template web/grav gun

FlyingCog

Nov 13, 2021
My friend and I just played first game of Necromunda (Esher vs Delaque). We run into interesting interaction of web/grav guns and templates:
  • For templates/blast it hits automatically so cover has no impact on the hitting
  • Since grav guns/webs don't have armor save the modifiers to save for templates don't count
This was our understending of RAW but at least I'm not sure if it makes sense that cover don't count for those two weapons. Has it been FAQed/clarified or is it intended?

Banjulhu

Juve
Oct 7, 2019
Remember blast weapons only auto-hit once the placement of the blast template has been determined, you still roll a to hit dice but as most of the time you will be targetting a point on the board you can see the only modifier you will likely have is the one for range. If the to-hit fails the template scatters. After you either hit the spot you targetted or scattered the template the models under it are then auto-hit and pinned.

You are right about grav guns and webbers ignoring the cover bonuses to armour saves as they ignore saves and that is the intent of the rules (whether this is balanced is another entirely separate discussion).

Reactions: BearsWillEatYou

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
1) Blast weapons being unbalanced and hit without negative modifiers from cover has been discussed since N17. The only official nerf from GW was around N18, adding improved save if in cover from the centre of the blast.
2) Traits that ignore armour (Grav/Web/Gas/Phase) combined with AP is a long running error and has been documented in deteail: https://yaktribe.games/community/th...s-typos-in-the-house-of-shadow-delaque.11507/

Last edited:

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Blast weapons are not unbalanced. Without them, fighters have to make suicidal moves to attack opponents around corners. This is very apparent in the Hive War starter set scenarios. Flame templates have a short range (8"+ the firer's movement). If used in reasonable numbers, neither blasts nor flame templates dominate the game, and all factions have access to them. Self-restraint is way underrated.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
If you need to apply self-restraint, then I'd argue it's unbalanced. Don't need self-restraint in Blood Bowl, Kill Team or Underworlds. On the contrary, the game should be designed to exploit what is to gain from it.

Blast is special in that it favorably ignores a lot of problem normal ranged attacks have to deal with like pitch black, smoke (?), terrifying, target priority and so forth.

Reactions: Ben_S and Thorgor

Sakara

Ganger
Tribe Council
Jan 30, 2015
Luleå, Sweden
like pitch black, smoke (?)
*grumble grumble, adjust glasses, straighten bowtie etc etc etc*

But yea Blast can be broken. Depending on (as much else) how your meta and terrain are. Although in Zone Mortalis Blast is king due to the targeting rules. I feel its almost like the plasma before House of X books. Since you really cant spam special weapons as you could before. So in a vacum they are on the borderline op but outside of that I wouldent say that they are a win all weapon.

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
1) The game is unbalanced. Intentionally. That's the nature of gangs in the Underhive (theme and setting aren't fluff, they are organic to the game). This isn't a weakness of the game. It's a campaign that let's the lowest of the low rise to the top of the bottom of the Hive.

2) We never spammed GL's or the like. We never had anyone that desperate to win. That's not virtuous, it's just in keeping with the theme and our idea of fair play. Arms races in the Underhive are boring. And, that rabbit hole leads to trying to compete with a bunch of other game systems.

3) Charge ranges are too short? Tell that to a Corpse Grinder Cult victim. GW heard the complaints about Close Combat and gave us a sledgehammer to break eggs. Then they heard the complaints about CGC not having access to the Trading Post, and their fix let's gangers with Infiltrate get any weapons.

4) Without any restraint, everyone could just play CGC and Necro would be perfectly balanced, and chock full of deadly weaponry.

5) Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: Stompzilla