Noobzilla attempts to build the G.O.A.T table

Noobzilla

Ganger
Aug 12, 2014
Durham, UK
Sorry I dont have anything interesting to show yet, Im at a very boring stage of trying to dry fit all the bits of MDF that make the first level. Each part throws up a new conundrum to work out how to do it.
As I only get the odd hour or so a day with the new baby when I do do something each session is working out how to cut *one* thing or which moulds I need cast, setting everything up, getting that *one* task done, then having to stop before even an hour.
I also need clear days to 'build' with the cast resin pieces as I have to sand them even, and I *do not* want to do that indoors even with a vacuum attached to the tool and a filter mask.

I thought you'd like to see this though, the extra lights I ordered arrived, so thought I'd test them. The wall lamp LEDs are *DULL* -I'd thought I may need to put a few together to stop them being too bright, but they are already so low as to only be decorative. Guess I can put quite a lot in each space then!
Also the lamposts. They are one level high each, not real world scale, but I figure inside a hive they'd be lower, and it adds to the sense of vertical scale. Those are a wee bit brighter, but not overkill, and a warm yellow-y white. So quite happy.
New drill bit which I had to order. Got two cheap bits sized exactly to the lamps, so they fit nice and snug with a bit of glue to hold them.
Painted it black as will be doing some test paints on this piece, I'd thought to see how the LED lighting changes the look, but its so dull I doubt it'll matter.

Noobzilla

Ganger
Aug 12, 2014
Durham, UK
Chugging along - lot of soldering happening now. I need to work out how to cover the LEDs when I basecoat - probably just going to stick bluetack over them.
Last few lasercut bits arrive this week, so will hopefully finish the wood basic shapes - although I dont hold out hope as its taken for so long to do this much.

Pagumb

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Sep 10, 2020
"Gentlescum gentlescum please give our dear colleague some room to complete their masterpiece. You were promised a G.O.A.T.W.T.C.O.M.H table and a G.O.A.T.W.T.C.O.M.H table you shall have in due time.

The Guilders demand their fees, mushroom density fiberboard (MDF) doesn't lasercut itself (except that one time we all agreed we won't talk about) and we all have experienced the difficulties of receiving materials from either the Underhive Portage Service or the Underground Systematic Post Service whose new slogan 'Higher prices, Poorer service!' isn't exactly lighting up the enthusiasm meters from smelly Sump shore to smellier Sump shore."

Noobzilla

Ganger
Aug 12, 2014
Durham, UK
Ok so, heres the thing...
One week old baby - all the time in the world to crack on in the garage as he only sleeps and wants his mum. If 'no milk human' picks him up he just kicks off.
Three months and on - Im actually needed to be of use and hes quite happy to be held by the 'non milk human', at 6 months Im playing with him daily...

Also devastating news here: As its our (almost 2 year delayed due to covid) wedding reception in December, Ive been building other bits in the workshop - Giant letters that light up, plus an arch and other bits and bobs, which meant lifting the table on and off my workbench, and leaning it against the wall, then putting it back. Over and over. No problems. Anyway one night I left it leaning against the wall, and rain leaked down the inside of the garage wall (my fault for not clearing the gutters of leaves this Autumn!), soaked into the mdf, and turned it to mush. The softwood frame held, but the table you as may well have stomped on for the state it was- the cardboard tube of the tunnel fell apart, the floors are just a mess.... most of the lasercut bits also turned into mush too.

My plan - once the weddings out the way - So the New Year - Im going to team up with my mate nearby, and re-do this as a sectional table. Im also going to use a lot more plastic kits - the resin casting was primarily due to the fact GW was completely out of stock of all the kits when I started (as I stated the resin and rubber often costs as much as just buying the damn kits in the first place) and I didnt know if this shortage was permanent discontinuation or a Covid-Shipping-delays thing.
The giant central tunnel will still be a feature on the re-do, as will the two bridges I saved (because they werent on the table at the time) and the Led lights (90% survived as werent yet fitted).

More so than playing with the baby with my free time - its just been too depressing to try and pull the thing apart to salvage the resin cast pieces that I can - the glue held as its resin based, but the wood it was attached to warped twisted and bloated, so Its going to be horrendous sanding the backs of the pieces down, once Ive wasted god knows how many hours sanding them down. Its so tempting to just trash the whole thing knowing I can afford to do so, but thats pretty crappy for the environment.

Anywhere heres how it looked before it died a death... wasnt much further on but it gives an idea of the layout I was heading for... :(

Last edited:

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Oh, crap, that hurts!
Horrendously frustrating, I can imagine. But as soon as you start the progress it will weigh less harshly on your shoulders!
And you get to redo bits and bobs which didn't turn out quite as you wanted the first time around. Those "good enough" corners you'd get bugged by for years to come.

Mr. M

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Aug 1, 2019
San Jose, CA
Congrats on the yakling!!! Mine just turned 1.5, and I can say things really start to take off after the 9 month-to-1-year point... walking, running, talking, talking back! The natural disaster that struck the G.O.A.T. sounds awful, but salvage what you can and make some improvements to the ...er... unplanned prototype! Don't get discouraged by the setback - you had an awesome project underway, and it'll probably come out even better once you re-build.

Pagumb

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Sep 10, 2020
Bummer news on the table front balanced by excellent news on the family front.

Domes flood. Hivequakes happen. You have some cool pieces to work with and a hell of an eye for making a varied, multi-level game board so I continue to have every confidence your board will be quite something when its time comes.

Reactions: trollmeat

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Father of 3 here, ages 3, 8 & 10, you start to find time for the hobby again after a while so don’t worry about that.

In terms of the water disaster, that sucks dude!!! It’s a constant fear of mine as a lot of my stuff lives in the garage. I have one consolation for you, a lot of my older stuff I’m now embarrassed by so I’m destroying it myself….I recycle as much as I can for use again, you’ll be fine just start again and go for it!

Reactions: trollmeat

FrostyZ

Juve
Jan 13, 2022
So when the Sector Imperialis Realm-Of-Battle board came out years ago, I always thought 'those textures are nice, but some of them would make nicer walls than floors'. Thing was out of my price range at the time. But with it apparently being discontinued and me now having space and a bit more money, I got a pair of the tiles... to chop up... *muahahaha*
Started with a hacksaw and spending a good hour getting one section of texture out... but amazingly I found I could run this through the table saw as the plastic was thick enough it didn't shatter or melt!

I always wanted to build a highly detailed Necromunda board, featuring a sump sewer, replete with with trader barges/spider hunter boats, multiple levels, tunnels connecting parts of the boards, bridges to add height, and inside/outside spaces I could pack with detail (and LED lighting). I'd previously built a sectional board with poured resin sump-canals, with limited success, but now I have a space I can keep a static board (garage) Im going to go for it and build 'the greatest board of all time'.

My desire for more height means I'm going for a 3x3, as otherwise that verticality wont really get used. It will have a sewer running through the centre, which opens out into the middle. Not gona lie, my inspiration for a sewer-side-shanty-town sector definitely comes from Futuramas sewer-based mutant-town
View attachment 135159
This sketch is nowhere near what I envision as the middle in my sketch is a big empty, really I want to do a shanty built from munitorum-containers around the edge of the sewer-canal, and narrow gantries and bridges crossing from side to side. But it shows what I intend re: the edges giving access to building inner spaces, like the open-back of a dollshouse (which will open into each other and the rest of the board wherever possible with doors, tunnels and ruined sections, and the sewer running through the middle.

As the sewer-canal pipe needs to be big enough to reach your hand inside, it will need to be 3 levels high (4th level will go over it). Ill be using a 1ft-ish diameter half pipe of thick card. 4 floors Sounds a bit much, but as the sewer-canal is going to be a floor lower than every other section, its best to think of it as a 3 level playing area, with a dicing-line of -1 sub level running through it (crossable via barges and gangplanks). Barges and boats are WIP

Bridges which will criss-cross the board - I had these lasercut in two lengths to mimic the design of the GW balcony supports. Although Warlayer does a nice 40k gothic bridge, I *really* dislike print lines on big 3d prints, and found the only way to remove them is endless filling and sanding - effectively impossible on detailed things covered in rivets. I'll just be adding loads of rivets to these by hand. I'll be riveting them at the same time as I do the barges.

As I bought only a pair of the sector Realm-Of-Battle tiles to sacrilegiously cut up, I figured I'd mould the parts I'd use multiples of. Hey its for my own use so I figure Im in the clear!
The 'body' of the board and the walls I'll run the LED wiring within will be MDF, with every floor and wall will be clad in resin-cast texture. Here you can see my method - basically seal around the chopped up bits with plasticine. Paint a layer on by hand using the cheapest disposable brush to avoid air bubbles. Then pour the remainder. Don't worry - I'm not destroying precious Lego for my mould walls. Its carboot-sale Megabloks which I paid nothing for ;)

Moulds!

Now this wasn't nearly as successful as it looks. Although Ill use this cast, with lots of sanding and filling, it destroyed the mould coming out. It also used so much resin that I may as well have went on eBay and just bought one of this part. Live and learn! At least churning out lots of pipe will be manageable when I get my Hirst Arts moulds back off my friend I loaned them to!

Next step - I plan to cut out my 3x3 board from 18mm MDF, baton the bottom of it for rigidity (leaving holes for running wire) and start making a mockup of where the main levels and walls will go.

Also cry for advice here here: as the floor-tile moulds are coming out all different heights, and I want to level them off - has anyone used a planer thicknesser on small resin pieces? Its either that or sand them using a power sander (using double sided foam tape to tack them down to a board before I either plane or sand). I own a dust collector and a proper filter-mask for resin dust-so no worries there.
awesome!