Necromunda Not new hobby blog (mostly 40k at the moment)

Mutant Modifier

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
mutantmodifier.blogspot.com
all the tiny sigils all over the robes. Is that freehand?!?

Sigils on the winged guy are mostly Thousand Sons ones from the basic Chaos transfer sheet, with a few Word Bearers and Skitarii ones thrown in. Some are turned upside down. And on a few places there's a tiny freehand wiggling line, cross or tiny dots added in. But yeah, the white sigils are mostly transfers.

Mutant Modifier

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
Another Helbrute will be ready soon...

DSC_0186.jpg

I also bashed up a trio of Obliterators at home. Didn't have all the nicest sculpting tools or bitz boxes available, so did rough basic work with all the putties, Legos and a few chosen miniature parts smuggled in from the vast chambers of my Hobby Castle. Major elements are the old school Pink Horror heads I hastily tried to replicate with Blue Stuff (among some other more technical looking more detailed parts). The detail is mostly not that crisp, but it's okay since I'll be sculpting in some touch ups with Green Stuff anyways.

DSC_0182.jpg

Mr. M

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Aug 1, 2019
San Jose, CA
Great painting and modeling, Mutant Modifier! The crab demon creature and the hellbrute are amazing and creepy... like something that crawled out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting! And those checkers are ace - nice job!

Mutant Modifier

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
Thanks for the comments, fellow Yaks!

Just a bit progress with painting the Centauroid Bikers that I started yesterday.

DSC_0205.jpg

Also bashing up some general shapes on the soon-to-be Khorne Lord of Skulls. The little green tractor fitted in perfectly on that yellow Dublo car. After a tiniest bit of cutting an overhang from the car clicked right in through the rear window of the tractor. Perfect size and everything. A match made in heaven warp.

The front end will become a huge mouth with a cannon in the middle. Haven't still figured out how to do the fenders though. Just tiny ones (1cm wide or so) made from card, glued on top of those existing ones? Or much bigger, spiked and crooked ones that continue and wave through the entire sides of the thing? I just wish I got the muscular arms of some He-Man toy to glue into this monstrosity. Not interested in spending much time nor money to get any, so might have to get sculpting. Gonna be great anyways!

DSC_0206.jpg

Mutant Modifier

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
This Demon Prince character is pretty much done now. I'll take some pics soon when the final varnishes are dry. Still not completely sure if black is the right color(less) choice for the claws on the wings. But it looks quite ominous and evil, so why not leave them like that.

DSC_0247.jpg

Little by little the Khorne Lord of Skulls is also shaping up. Been sculpting more layers on the huge face, fenders and the hand holding the Great Cleaver. Also finally glued in the scorpion tail and started sculpting its surroundings. I'm thinking about adding some spaghetti-like brain matter dangling on the little shelve behind the eyes. The Lord could also use more of those curved beak like spikes all around it, to really tie the whole thing together and match the noses, claws and curved boots on all the other big guys.
DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

Mutant Modifier

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
One more unit (Obliterators) painted ready! I'm loving the end result, even though I had a little difficult times painting these. I was doubting whether their faces (or even most of the "fleshy" parts) should be done in teal tones, like all the bigger guys faces I did earlier. Or should I try to smoothly blend all the reds into the metal tones of their guns and gear. But I felt I hadn't taken these things in consideration when building and sculpting the unit up, so didn't have much guidance from that side. Just couldn't decide where to start and aim for. So I routinely went with the red face and skin tones, and roughly followed the formula I had chosen for this army project.

When it was time to add transfers, everything kind of came together very well. I just loaded all the gun parts with red runes and hand marks from the Night Lords transfer sheet. The fleshy sides of the monstrosities were filled with black and white runes and writings from Word Bearers, Skitarii and Necromunda Enforcers (at least) transfer sheets. I also painted some tiny wriggly markings with white to better bring together some of the different transfer types, and shape them to match the curvy lines of the models more. I also did lots of dirtying and staining of the details and metals, mostly with Seraphim Sepia and Athonian Camoshade. So even though the basic paint job on these guys is extremely simple, the myriad of different transfers really help to blend and bring everything together and provide lots of detail. Lovely miniatures!

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg
DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg
DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
even though the basic paint job on these guys is extremely simple, the myriad of different transfers really help to blend and bring everything together and provide lots of detail.

If I'm honest, I'm not as keen on this latest army project as your previous ones, but the paint job certainly does not look at all simple. You get really great depth and variety.

Reactions: Mutant Modifier

Mutant Modifier

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
Thanks for the comment @Ben_S, honesty again very much appreciated! I also agree the paint job has (surprisingly) nice variety and depth. But very much of it has been done in very simple and fast ways. Red being two sloppy drybrushes over spray primer and basecoat, quick highlight dots and heavy wash. Metals are basecoat, heavy wash (or two) and drybrush. Maybe one more wash for staining, and another more careful and lighter drybrush or highlight in some focal parts. Nothing like wet blending or other time consuming or advanced techniques being used.

Reactions: Ben_S

Mutant Modifier

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019

Chaos Cultist / golem troopers for Chaotic Overlords (and yet another Necromunda gang...?)​

Okay, here's something just slightly different for a change. I've been trying to organize a game with a friend for quite a while now. I had my own ambitions in trying out the new edition of Warhammer 40k, since that's what I've been recently building armies for (did some Orks last summer, Nurgle CSM through the fall, and these Chaotic Overlords for the last two months). But my friend suggested Necromunda. It's been my favourite game for the last 25 years, so why the hell no?!

So just to tie things together a bit, I decided to build up another Necromunda gang that could also double up as a unit of Chaos Cultists for my big 40k Overlords. After a quick rummage through my endless bits boxes, I came across four metal Servitor miniatures I recently bought from somebody at the local miniature trading group at Facebook. These would form the basis of the gang. Add in some Genestealer & Chaos Cultists, Skitarii and Space Marine bits and whatnot. Didn't remember that converting metal miniatures was so tedious...

As I envision these dudes to be kind of reanimated golems, I felt something else than just ordinary human heads would be in order. Maybe more animal heads or skulls, much like my proxy CSM troopers or Centauroid Bikers have?

Then a tiny piece of lore formed up in my head. The big Overlords would always decapitate their victims (and slaves), then mix up and swap body parts and heads in between different species. The most succesful and strongest ones would live up to become these CSM troopers and Centauroids for example. But the weak and miserable ordinary humans wouldn't usually be able to cope with such a massive operations. They would need other things to stay up. So the Overlords would insert these big magical orbs of unholy powers for their heads and bind them to their evil will. Enter evil laughter.

For the Necromunda purposes, I armed the gang quite well. The leader has plasma gun and an axe (I'll hopefully find a power axe for him some day...). The two heavies got a flamer and a heavy bolter. Four gangers all have a basic weapons. I gave them a varied mix to personalize individual gangers and help differentiating between them in the gaming situation. So there's a boltgun, a shotgun, an autogun and some weird Skitarii gun that I think can be played as a lasgun, a hunting rifle or even a needle sniper rifle if I ever happpen to find one. The trio of juves got the usual close combat weapons, with the all time personal favourite load out of two knives. Everybody in the gang also has a holster, so can be armed up with any kind of pistol. Enter even more evil laughter. I might still sculpt in some eyelids and/or hoods around their magical orb heads.

DSC_0273.jpg

Mutant Modifier

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019

Advice needed for choosing Space Marine chapter! Help me!​

Reactions: trollmeat

Mutant Modifier

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
So the unit of Cultists and/or another Necromunda gang is soon done. Only have to paint their bases, and maybe do some minor touch ups and varnishes. Really loving their occult robot special ops scuba diver hunchback looks.

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

Finally started work on these two Heldrakes. I've had those toy ufo aeroplanes waiting for quite some time already. Not sure if I'll do anything super fancy with these. Just sculpt in more demonic shapes and textures, concentrating on their big faces, then add in a few gun barrels and tubing.

DSC_0280.jpg