Necromunda Not new hobby blog (mostly 40k at the moment)

Mutant Modifier

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
mutantmodifier.blogspot.com
A group of infantry for the Dark Mechanicum army! These Electro-Priests will be delivering some dangerous close range discharges and proceed to zap foes in melee as well. Unless they get shot first. Which might be okay.

The unit is mostly made out of the Blackstone Fortress Negavolt Cultists. There's a Spindle Drone, two Ghouls and an Ur-Ghul among their ranks, with some Skaven, Drukhari and (Chaos) Space Marine bits thrown in among other little random doodads and guitar strings. I especially like the guy who's got his head mounted high above shoulders on a giddy rack.

YouVp9ImHrLybp7Gycf_5xhwSZbZJKHAZhlx5mtC9zwg=s1400.jpg
tQVBanbvothTxFm156i__u9zKL60XJn_kr99o1Lv1Pjg=s1400.jpg
yxRhitkzlXHKIUg2I7cvJC7H342hEghO3Jiw2xViGbOQ=s1400.jpg
thKgJ-QCPp9TTi8IkK0lpbM2KzPmAKy7VjlF9M1CNnmA=s1400.jpg
jVlAXL8uyowtvsJ8Ck5nG2WW0yNeyOBjt1Sbs0RqwnzQ=s1300.jpg

Mutant Modifier

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
Why the doubled-up bases?
The Negavolts (and Ghouls) are all very hunched and I wanted to change their posture a bit (chin up!). And while assembling, I fortuitously happened to use the 25mm bases to just get them standing. As their base tabs were too long for those bases, they were naturally lifted up. And the AoS Ghouls were so short and crooked they needed even more lifting, so I glued extra bits of sprue under their legs. So basically I was just lazy and used those smaller bases for the lifting / tilting / un-hunching of the unit.

Mutant Modifier

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
Time for some hazardous looking robot insect mechanoids! Got a box of the actual and very nice looking Sicarian Infiltrators from a FLGS a while ago when they moved and had a reasonable discount on many things.

I wanted to have more than just 5 of these guys, so kitbashed in a couple Necron Warriors. Elongated leg segments were made from guitar string and glass beads. Then an exquisite selection of Drukhari, Eldar, Kharadron Overlords, Chaos Cultist, Ork, Skitarii and Skaven parts was glued in for good measure. I wanted the unit to look unpredictable and wobbly yet dangerous, so spiky antennas and flailing mecha-tentacles were in order to accentuate their frantic postures.

DSC_0684.jpg

DSC_0686.jpg

DSC_0688.jpg

Mutant Modifier

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
Madness and techno-heresy!
Love it.
Thanks @cainex1 !

Now I've got 4 Kastelan Robots undereway. Maybe some characters and Kataphron rollers after those.

BUT an idea for yet another new project has emerged... Slaves to Darkness list with several chariots, Karkadraks, a Manticore and not much more... Let's see if I'm able to get the Dark Mech stuff done before the lure of proper chaos gets too strong!

Mutant Modifier

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
Oh dear, it's been almost a month since the last update. Been super busy at the work, but still managed to make some progress with this army. I really thought this would be relatively quick group to batch paint, but was wrong. There's just so many fiddly bits, curly cables and tiny rivets everywhere that just demand lots of attention. And I wanted the army to have quite pale feel to them, so there's lots of dirty whites and light greys going on.

After the initial grey undercoat and blotches of Agrellan Earth, I (zenithally) sprayed Matt White over the army. That was followed by heavy coat of Apothecary White on top parts of the models. The lower areas got mixes of dirty grey washes splattered on them, and a drybrush of Underhive Ash. Then I stippled on some Pale Grey Blue, and lightly drybrushed all the important and up facing bits with Dead White. Big eyeballs, gun barrels and some of the lenses were painted Matt Black (they'll get a coat gloss varnish in the end).

For the rest of the lenses and all the electric cables, taser spikes, plasma coils, power swords and such I gave Aethermatic Blue and Blue Ink washes, Hellion Green drybrush and Verdigris Glaze highlights. They'll probably get another super bright highlight, a fine glaze of Aethermatic Blue and some gloss varnish later on. At his point I realized everything needed a bit more definition that the pale grey shadows were just not providing. So I went to recess shade almost everything with Nuln Oil. Took many days, but was well worth it!

More things still to do: Redefine important bits with pale grey / light blue / white highlits (heads, fingers, weapons, antennas and such). Maybe even more dirty staining on the legs? Matt Varnish (followed by gloss varnish on the few specific bits mentioned earlier). And maybe then it's time to try super lush vegetation on the bases (btw, the bases are currently covered with just garden dirt)!

More pics at my blog.

DSC_0694.jpg
DSC_0701.jpg
DSC_0704.jpg
DSC_0706.jpg
DSC_0707.jpg
DSC_0709.jpg
DSC_0710.jpg
DSC_0713.jpg
DSC_0719.jpg
DSC_0720.jpg

Vertico

Gang Champion
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem
Oh dear, it's been almost a month since the last update. Been super busy at the work, but still managed to make some progress with this army. I really thought this would be relatively quick group to batch paint, but was wrong. There's just so many fiddly bits, curly cables and tiny rivets everywhere that just demand lots of attention. And I wanted the army to have quite pale feel to them, so there's lots of dirty whites and light greys going on.

After the initial grey undercoat and blotches of Agrellan Earth, I (zenithally) sprayed Matt White over the army. That was followed by heavy coat of Apothecary White on top parts of the models. The lower areas got mixes of dirty grey washes splattered on them, and a drybrush of Underhive Ash. Then I stippled on some Pale Grey Blue, and lightly drybrushed all the important and up facing bits with Dead White. Big eyeballs, gun barrels and some of the lenses were painted Matt Black (they'll get a coat gloss varnish in the end).

For the rest of the lenses and all the electric cables, taser spikes, plasma coils, power swords and such I gave Aethermatic Blue and Blue Ink washes, Hellion Green drybrush and Verdigris Glaze highlights. They'll probably get another super bright highlight, a fine glaze of Aethermatic Blue and some gloss varnish later on. At his point I realized everything needed a bit more definition that the pale grey shadows were just not providing. So I went to recess shade almost everything with Nuln Oil. Took many days, but was well worth it!

More things still to do: Redefine important bits with pale grey / light blue / white highlits (heads, fingers, weapons, antennas and such). Maybe even more dirty staining on the legs? Matt Varnish (followed by gloss varnish on the few specific bits mentioned earlier). And maybe then it's time to try super lush vegetation on the bases (btw, the bases are currently covered with just garden dirt)!

More pics at my blog.

View attachment 140153View attachment 140154View attachment 140155View attachment 140156View attachment 140157View attachment 140158View attachment 140159View attachment 140160View attachment 140161View attachment 140162
This paintscheme really screams scifi-grimdark to me. Really cool!

Reactions: Mutant Modifier

Mutant Modifier

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
Thanks for the nice comments, fellow yakkers! ❤️

Last weekend I was able to pull an all-nighter with these Mech creeps. Got hundreds of grass tufts, bright moss and patches of flock on their bases. Highlighted all the cyan parts, and started glazing them once more for a bit brighter and richer tone.

Mutant Modifier

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
May 24, 2019
Thanks @Nuttowntau !

Another night shift here. Have been doing some recess & underside washing and staining with Seraphim Sepia, Athonian Camoshade & Nuln Oil. The cyan parts got highlighted (with a mix of maybe Dead White & Royal Cloak, not sure) and glazed down again with varying mixes of Aethermatic Blue & very little Tesseract Glow. The fleshy parts got a wash of Guilliman Flesh & Royal Cloak, to which I then added Mummy Robes & Dead White for highlights. Very few details got Volupus Pink. The base rims were painted Matt Black, and then everything got a layer of spray matt varnish. I'll be gloss varnishing all the cyan & black bits next week and see if I feel like the army is done then.

And oh, almost forgot to mention the dozens and dozens of grass tufts, moss (Summer Undergrowth) and flock on the bases - all from The Army Painter.
S-OATs-n-FYPMKWYBHOYXPhySmtk_t1UeVpJAWGl-4wA=s1400.jpg
N_svblrFUVGJYnH7cJzbU62AM5spy7Vlre7FMBb0XTqA=s1400.jpg
83CjCr8XTGwU4FaXFPwTbUo8oZru8p-KXTygVjT_vwuQ=s1400.jpg