Numbers

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Thinking of getting into BB soon, just wondering though if the numbers on the players mean anything or not. Like are they representative of positions, substitutes etc? Or is it just whack any number on any player for rule of cool?

I’ve not got or read the rules yet but may end up buying a box of models to build soon.

NoOneII.

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
You can have a maximum of 16 Players on the Roster.
And ofc. it's useful to have a number referencing a mondel to keep them apart with no ambiguity.
Most people stick to 1-16, but there is no hard reason you could not have a "Lucky 99" or something.
Also, most teams usually don't want 16 folks on the roster (as this would bloat the team value which is the base for underdog bonuses), most are more then happy to stick with 13 or so.

Reactions: MusingWarboss

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Rosters have 1 line per player (just like Necromunda rosters) and they are numbered. Each model is a character of its own, which needs to be mapped to the roster. This is can be done with numbers or name. For Blood Bowl, it is a tradition to do it with numbers. You can use any system you want. As a side note, in competitive/tournament play, it is common to use rubber rings to identify who has which skills, and then you don't need any numbers (or names) at all! It's also a convenience when randomizing a player on the team (D16).

Reactions: MusingWarboss

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Ok, that’s cool. I just didn’t want to stick a number on a blitzer only to find it’s reserved for linemen or something.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
It's a form of identification, like names. You can use what you like. Indeed, you could use letters instead of numbers if you wanted (it would be unconventional, but would work just as well). The only thing not to do is having two of the same number.

MedMos

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Yeah, I think I've seen something like that in the great Outside. Was a team of sorts... Like a... a sports team! That's it.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Yeah, I think I've seen something like that in the great Outside. Was a team of sorts... Like a... a sports team! That's it.
That’s my point dude, in Football (soccer) the numbers relate to on field positions or being in a team, b team, reserves etc.

Just checking that there isn’t a similar system for Blood Bowl (probably) based on American Football rules (which I don’t know).

Like Star Players always take numbers 2-4 or Linemen are usually assigned double digit numbers or something.

Reactions: MedMos

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
There are probably some systems. I like to give big guy nr 1, then have the top positionals follow with line at the end. Surprised that some put top players at bottom, but to each their own. Then I like to overthink and overcomplicate things, so unlike what @Ben_S suggested above, I do have multiple players on the same team with the same number, but usually not at the same time and certainly not of the same position!

For example with humans, I have excess amount of line player models:
NrPosition (primary)Position (secondary)
1Ogre
2Blitzer
3Blitzer
4Blitzer
5Blitzer
6Catcher
7Catcher
8CatcherLine
9CatcherLine
10ThrowerThrower
11Thrower
12Line
13Line
14Line
15Line
16Line

Yes, thanks to awkward amount of players from GW & FW, I have 3 human throwers... Also needed 2 booster packs to complete the team (expensive!), but I already had 2 human teams (also expensive!) because one is plastic and then FW released an alternative human version back when there was nothing more to buy than 2-3 teams (think 2016 had humans, orcs and skaven, unlike the massive amount of stuff we got now). So at least I was able to split it out unevenly, one team having 2 catchers and the other 4.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
unlike what @Ben_S suggested above, I do have multiple players on the same team with the same number, but usually not at the same time and certainly not of the same position!

It can be fine if you know you'll never use them together, but easier to just avoid it. You don't have to stick to 1-16.

I have an elf team that can be any kind of elves, with full positionals and plenty of linemen, so there are 24 models and they're numbered 1-24. Obviously, I'll never be using 24 at once, but my twelve players might still include a #24. It seems easier than worrying about which of my two #10s to include.

Of course, I know I'll never use the Catchers at the same time as the Witch Elves. I guess I could have duplicated numbers on those, if I'd particularly wanted to keep the nuumbers down. But there's no need to do so, so I didn't bother.

Reactions: TopsyKretts