Numbers

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Ok, soccer (and Rugby) are mobs running around randomly. Don't try to pretend they have positions.

Not true. While there's no rule mandating players to wear particular shirt numbers, and some players go for idiosyncratic numbers, there's a well-established association between certain numbers and roles on the pitch. Anyone familiar with football (soccer) will understand a question like 'is he a #9 or #10?'

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Only ever seen kids playing, I take it? 😆
My two. For years. Neither ever scored a goal. For the record, I was at every game and recital (ballet, ballroom dancing, soccer, football, baseball, softball, water polo), and their biggest supporter. All I know about soccer is it makes more sense than Rugby, but Rugby is more violent. So more fun. Not that I've ever seen a RL Rugby game.

Reactions: MedMos

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Not true. While there's no rule mandating players to wear particular shirt numbers, and some players go for idiosyncratic numbers, there's a well-established association between certain numbers and roles on the pitch. Anyone familiar with football (soccer) will understand a question like 'is he a #9 or #10?'
I confess I did not know that. Next, you will tell me hockey player's have positions and numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: TopsyKretts

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Wait one? American Rugby is actually a sport!? I get confused by all the needless safety gear, standing around, timeouts and oxygen masks….

Next you will be telling me Rounders is a World Series 🤣

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Don’t worry @Punktaku i don’t quite get the leek or onion thing either. It must either be a British thing or a Rugby Union thing.

At a guess it’s what your body shape looks like so you can pick a position (leeks are long and thin and go in the backs and onions are short and round and go in the forwards).

As an Aussie rugby league player it’s also worth pointing out that we number our players in the opposite direction to rugby Union players (and English rugby league players I believe).

1 Fullback
2 right wing
3 right centre (poms call this a three quarter)
4 left centre (poms call this a three quarter)
5 left wing
6 five eighth (poms calm this a stand off half)
7 half back (poms call this a fly half)
8 left prop
9 hooker
10 right prop
11 left second row
12 right second row
13 lock
14 reserve
15 reserve
16 reserve
17 reserve
18 emergency reserve

I would try to tell you about rugby Union positions but they speak their own language.

Reactions: MedMos

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
League or Union

I didn’t even see that…

Us Aussies have too many types of footy for it to make sense and what they get called changes from state to state depending on what is the predominant sport.

In NSW and Queensland footy would be rugby league, rugby Union would be called rugby, Aussie Rules is called AFL (after the competition name Australian Football League) and soccer is called soccer (unless you play it or are on TV then it gets called football).

If you are in Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, or Western Australia then footy is AFL, rugby league is called NRL (after the competition name National Rugby League), rugby Union is called rugby and soccer is called soccer (again unless you play it then it’s called football).

It’s pretty universal over here that when someone talks about “rugby” they are specifically talking about rugby union and rarely about rugby league.

As for grid iron it usually gets called NFL but occasionally gets called grid iron and less so American football. I know that the grid iron is actually the field rather than the sport itself but there is almost no way an Aussie would join a competition called the Australian American Football League.