Necromunda Nuttowntau's bit of Underhive

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Hello Everyone,

I've been working on some Necromunda terrain over the past few weeks and realized that although I had posted it on some of the forums I frequent.. I hadn't posted it on the home of all things Necromunda.

Some WiP pictures on the first 4 boards out of 9:
file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

some primer and detailing:

file.jpg

and the first one with paint and varnish.

file.jpg

They should be the size of the Zone Mortalis tiles unless I messed up my measurements. Once the tiles are done I'm going to try my hand at building some walls so I can play the Zone Mortalis scenarios, or some other terrain to play the sector mechanicum(?) variant.

C&C is appreciated

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Thanks everyone,

I now see you’ve been on the tribe longer than I have, doh!
Mainly to lurk and use the campaign tools, so it doesn't really count ;)

I'm not a 100% sure how I'll tackle the walls just yet, probably a posterboard core with some kind of detailing. My experience with building terrain is pretty limited, so a semi-uniform looking set of walls is going to be a challenge.

Right now I'll do up the boards and use them as a way to practice with different materials and techniques.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Whoa,,, did you make that painted floor from cereal box squares separated by tile spacers?!? what are the sides of the squares made of ? more card just cut to shape?
Well, it was a rice packet and a frozen pizza box, which are a little sturdier than cereal boxes.. but otherwise yeah that's exactly what it is. I did spend a couple of euros on a big sheet of 1mm cardboard the other day so I don't have to mess about with the various boxes. The sides/trim is cut from thin cardstock.

The spacers are only there to keep the tiles apart, but with 200 per bag I'll find a use for them at some point.

I also forgot to post a close up of the 'drain', I've since added a bit more brown because the green dried very bright.
file.jpg

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
I've made a bit of progress on one of the other tiles. Just some base colours and a wash for now; I'll let it dry overnight and hopefully finish it this weekend.

file.jpg

Somehow I messed up the measurements on the trim.. so the strips on these are a bit smaller than on the other. I didn't realize untill posting this picture so I'll have to see if it needs fixing.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Cant wait to see how you tackle the walls next.
I was feeling inspired after dinner so I made the first test piece for my walls:
file.jpg

A bit of detail on the other side:
file.jpg

But now I'm thinking it'll look better with a bit of an overhang at the top.. but adding the same kind of trim to the wall (which is 60mm high) might make it look cramped in as there'd be about 40mm in between the pieces. So I can either lengthen the wall, or.. stick a base to what is now the top:

file.jpg

What do you all think?

Reactions: Ben_S and cainex1

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Whats the base textured material, foam?
They are mostly made out of foamcore and detailed with cardstock. The 'gritty' stuff in the middle is bakingsoda sprinkled over a light coat of pva. Once it is completely dried I'll give it a light brushing and it will hopefully leave a concrete like texture. I tried making desert bases with pva once and it all fell off when I tried drybrushing it.. but it left a nifty texture that I'm hoping to replicate.

The top two. the last one looks like an upside down well piece.
The last one does look off, but it could have something else up there. I quite like the top ones myself, but someone in my gaming group mentioned an overhang would look more claustrauphobic/menacing... and although I like the sound of it, I'm not sure how to accomplish it. :)

Reactions: Ben_S

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
i suppose you could repeat the bottom on the top... that might give you the effect you want. but would it make it harder to play on? plenty of gamers have “ham hands” and claustrophobic boards can lead to hive quakes.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
I had some fun building more walls:

file.jpg

The one in the back has a grate on each side and is hollow in the middle, so a model could draw some LoS through it. Not sure if it'll work in game but it's always good to have options.

I built a bit of an interior for the one on the left; a few pipes running through there and some mounds of... stuff on the floor. I'm not sure what it is going to be just yet. But I do have some plastic rats I ordered a while ago, so some of those might start to nest in there.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
I've put work on the walls on hold because I think I might have found a way to make them more uniform and quicker to build at the same time.

In the meantime I've been working on my Goliath Gangers and their pet:

file.jpg

They are still WiP but the basic colours are there along with some shading. So they'll look the part when I play my first game of Necromunda using the new rules on tuesday. :)